2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Next time we play the Rags I want one of their stars taken care of. Pick whoever their most important playoff player will be and knee on knee the motherfvcker. I’ve had it. 

Unfortunately, this is kind of where I’m at as well and why I think keeping MacDermott beyond the April 3rd game doesn’t make much sense.   Playing into their clown show by essentially shortening our own bench and icing our own clown just feeds into it.  

What really needs to happen is for us to have some of the more physical hockey players on the team step up and start taking liberties with their guys like Fox and Panarin or plowing over Shesterkin on drives to the net.  

Where the hell has Meier been in these physical games?   You can tell me it was within the rules but Trouba came off the bench with no other intension than to inflict as much damage as possible to him last year.   Instead of standing up for himself this year, he basically looks like he was neutered.   I thought Mercer was going to be the combo of grit and skill to compliment the Hughes and Bratt’s on our team but I really don’t see much from him either.

The Rangers are a worse team with Trouba and Rempe on the ice so I could care less about going after those two.   This only stops when the rest of their team has to start dealing with the repercussions from the bullsh!t our guys currently deal with every game.  The lack of any type of response so far has been sickening.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

The way I see it, it would take an act of God for the following players to be moved: Jack, Nico, Bratt, Timo, Luke, and Nemec.  Mercer had a chance to play himself into that group, but he’s taken a step back this season and thus figures to pop up in trade rumors.  Holtz is another guy who could be dealt given how much Fitz apparently hates him.

Agree, I think those six get at least two more seasons together.  Luke will be up for an extension after next season and Nemec comes the season after that.  Both will be re-signed, it's just a question of to what kind of deal (bridge or long-term).

Started thinking of what a package for Saros might look like, and of course in doing so I'm assuming that Nashville isn't already resigned to keeping him no matter what (many teams obviously do that, depending on the circumstances).  They can wait right up until the deadline as well, but that's a risk too, in that all it takes is an injury to tank a potential return, and Saros should fetch a good one, if healthy going into this offseason.

So many times, you hear "good young player already in the NHL, an established NHLer, and a young prospect" as the requested haul back in these deals.

So here's who I offer and why:

Mercer:  We know a good young player with upside has to go in this trade.  Mercer is 22 and hasn't quite done enough to earn a pricey extension, so his first post-ELC contract shouldn't be too crazy, and his age and upside and durability are nice plusses.  If he was an absolute, no-doubt-about-it player (or one that an organization feels is going to be a big part of things), he's not available, because we know how it works in the NHL...those guys get locked up before they make it to RFA.  I think Mercer's year was just meh enough for him not to be that next guy that Fitz locks up. 

Marino:  To be clear, I HATE giving him up, as I think that he's a prime bounceback candidate, and I loved what he brought last season.  He's cost-controlled over the next three seasons, at a reasonable hit ($4.4 million AAV); he does make more each year in actual money than his cap hit suggests.  He's a guy who (potentially like Mercer) could rebound with Brunette as his head coach.  But he's a solid NHLer and the rest of his deal will be for his Age 27-29 seasons, so not like he should be declining anytime soon.  

Casey:  Yes, he's obviously intriguing as hell.  But with Luke and Nemec in house, he's become something of a luxury, and given his size and skillset, isn't quite what the Devils need to add to their D-corp.  He's not coming into the NHL tomorrow, but he's already a couple of seasons removed from his draft year, so not like he's FOREVER away from potentially getting a look in the NHL.  Devils simply need some bigger, stay-at-home physical types to complement Dougie, Luke, and Nemec.  Casey is none of those things, but the Preds have age on their D and could use a prospect like Casey.

What I'm trying to do is avoid coughing up a first, in addition to the above.  So I offer a couple of the picks that I just got from Winnipeg instead...the 2025 2nd and 2026 4th (I keep the 3rd for now).  Devils should be able to retain their own 2025 second-rounder after next season (I think it will be the 2025 third that ultimately goes for Allen).  

This may not sound like enough, but keep in mind that depending on Nashville's plans, they may not have Saros beyond next season.  How much should they REALLY be expected to get back in return for him?  Also does someone else step up to make a bigger offer?

Devils obviously have to re-sign Saros for this to make any sense.  And Fitz will have to go shopping for other pieces...but the idea of course is that Saros will be that absolute rock in net that the Devils haven't had in forever.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

The lack of any type of response so far has been sickening.

Yes it has. I want MacDermid to make sure a Rag star doesn’t play in the playoffs. Then he can leave. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yes it has. I want MacDermid to make sure a Rag star doesn’t play in the playoffs. Then he can leave. 

I'll definitely give you that I don't want to see a MacDermid - Rempe fight where MacDermid wins, and think that somehow it's now all water under the bridge.  I don't necessarily want to see MacDermid killing someone, but I don't care if he's leaving guys open or if his actions result in goals against due to him running around sending Ranger players into next week...I want him nailing as many Ranger stars as possible.  Give him 20 minutes in that game for all I care.

Said it before but the Rangers had better get Rempe to realize that it's possible to play a physical game without trying to concuss people.  If they don't do it, then there's opponents who will be very happy to teach Rempe that lesson for them, with his teammates being the ones paying the price.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'll definitely give you that I don't want to see a MacDermid - Rempe fight where MacDermid wins, and think that somehow it's now all water under the bridge.  I don't necessarily want to see MacDermid killing someone, but I don't care if he's leaving guys open or if his actions result in goals against due to him running around sending Ranger players into next week...I want him nailing as many Ranger stars as possible.  Give him 20 minutes in that game for all I care.

No fight; MacDermid tried to challenge Rempe and he declined; that ship has sailed. Now it’s time to injure motherfvckers. Knee on knee, two handed baseball slash to the legs, whatever- but after April 3 I want Laviolette informing his fanbase that Panarin or Fox or Zibanejed or Trouba won’t be suiting up for the playoffs because they’re too busy getting ready for rehab. 

I still prefer Markstrom most among the goalie targets; I know he's the oldest but if the difference is building a package around Holtz + for Markstrom versus Mercer + for Saros (or Ullmark), I'm taking the former. I know Mercer isn't having a great year, and he's not a possession driver, but since he entered the league in 2021 he ranks 2nd in five-on-five primary points (goals + primary assists) among forwards age-22 or younger (Jack is 1st, shocker). Markstrom also comes with a solid contract (2 more seasons at $6M AAV) whereas the other two only have 1 more season of control ($5M AAV apiece) and will require massive extensions that could become killers once the typical goalie voodoo happens.

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

No fight; MacDermid tried to challenge Rempe and he declined; that ship has sailed. Now it’s time to injure motherfvckers. Knee on knee, two handed baseball slash to the legs, whatever- but after April 3 I want Laviolette informing his fanbase that Panarin or Fox or Zibanejed or Trouba won’t be suiting up for the playoffs because they’re too busy getting ready for rehab. 

No knee on knee, the Devils' player could come out of that worse for wear.

This ain't the Federal Hockey League or the 1970s...you ain't gonna see any of that crazy level sh!t in that game and you know it.

BUT, I'm all for the Devils calling up a couple of guys (or even finding a couple looking for a job) who won't mind going into a matchup with the Rangers looking to do little more than dish out a LOT more than what passes for trouble in 2024.  If that means a couple of good players getting scratched so those guys can goon it up, so be it.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No knee on knee, the Devils' player could come out of that worse for wear.

This ain't the Federal Hockey League or the 1970s...you ain't gonna see any of that level crazy sh!t in that game and you know it.

BUT, I'm all for the Devils calling up a couple of guys (or even finding a couple looking for a job) who won't mind going into a matchup with the Rangers looking to do little more than dish out a LOT more than what passes for trouble in 2024.  If that means a couple of good players getting scratched so those guys can goon it up, so be it.  

I know we won’t see anything like that, but that’s what I wanna see. I’m saddened at how much of a pu$$y roster this is. Show some fvcking balls FOR ONCE. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

I still prefer Markstrom most among the goalie targets; I know he's the oldest but if the difference is building a package around Holtz + for Markstrom versus Mercer + for Saros (or Ullmark), I'm taking the former. I know Mercer isn't having a great year, and he's not a possession driver, but since he entered the league in 2021 he ranks 2nd in primary points (goals + primary assists) among forwards age-22 or younger (Jack is 1st, shocker). Markstrom also comes with a solid contract (2 more seasons at $6M AAV) whereas the other two only have 1 more season of control ($5M AAV apiece) and will require massive extensions that could become killers once the typical goalie voodoo happens.

The problem is Markstrom is the absolute poster child for "Modern Day Volatile NHL Goalie"; check out his GSAAs since he became the guy who's started most of his teams' games, and you'll see that he's as all over the place as it gets.

Jacob Markström Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Salary, Title | Hockey-Reference.com

Fitz is probably one 2022-23 Markstrom season away from losing his job...we've seen teams be able to overcome meh-ish goaltending on occasion, but this is an acquisition that Fitz just HAS to nail...Saros SHOULD be much more reliable.  I understand, yes he will definitely cost more in assets, and of course ANY player can have a bad year for a new team, even a guy who seems like a REALLY good bet to be above average, like Saros...but I just think rolling the dice on Markstrom has too much blowup potential.  If I'm betting on my future as GM of the Devils, I don't think I want to do that with Markstrom.

I hear what you're saying re:  the price, but I don't think that Fitz is in the position to try to bargain hunt here.     

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I know we won’t see anything like that, but that’s what I wanna see. I’m saddened at how much of a pu$$y roster this is. Show some fvcking balls FOR ONCE. 

The roster isn't currently built that way.  I don't wanna see our top players being ragdolled trying to be something they're not.

But there's guys who absolutely need to up their physicality...starting with Bahl.  Dude, you're fvcking 6' 6"!  Why does it seem like you play like you are maybe a quarter of the time, if that?!

And it's been discussed, but Fitz is gonna need to find a couple of guys who can play hockey AND be physical.  Devils need some more true all-arounders.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The roster isn't currently built that way.  I don't wanna see our top players being ragdolled trying to be something they're not.

But there's guys who absolutely need to up their physicality...starting with Bahl.  Dude, you're fvcking 6' 6"!  Why does it seem like you play like you are maybe a quarter of the time, if that?!

And it's been discussed, but Fitz is gonna need to find a couple of guys who can play hockey AND be physical.  Devils need some more true all-arounders.  

Yeah, I have no issue if the Devils want to get more physical but you need someone who can also actually play the game. MacDermid is a total waste of space and thank goodness he's a UFA after this season - dude plays like 4 minutes per game, takes a ridiculous amount of minor penalties given the amount of ice-time he gets, and can't even find a willing partner to scrap with since he's been here. What exactly is he doing? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nmigliore said:

Yeah, I have no issue if the Devils want to get more physical but you need someone who can also actually play the game. MacDermid is a total waste of space and thank goodness he's a UFA after this season - dude plays like 4 minutes per game, takes a ridiculous amount of minor penalties given the amount of ice-time he gets, and can't even find a willing partner to scrap with since he's been here. What exactly is he doing? 

The only problem is name one other person who could possibly fight Rempe after he goes headhunting and injures our players? MacD is the most intimidating fighter in the league, even more so than Reaves. Rempe wouldn't fight him. 

We need an intimidating fighter on this team to keep most goons honest. You're not going to suddenly teach Bahl how to fight and Bastian can't take on someone like Rempe. And I don't think there's anyone on our minor team whom we could call up to fight him either, let alone available free agents. 

Saying our current guys have to get tougher is a pipe dream. They're a smallish group of players who avoid physicality at all costs. We need an accomplished fighter on this team.

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

The only problem is name one other person who could possibly fight Rempe after he goes headhunting and injures our players? MacD is the most intimidating fighter in the league, even more so than Reaves. Rempe wouldn't fight him. 

We need an intimidating fighter on this team to keep most goons honest. You're not going to suddenly teach Bahl how to fight and Bastian can't take on someone like Rempe. And I don't think there's anyone on our minor team whom we could call up to fight him either, let alone available free agents. 

Saying our current guys have to get tougher is a pipe dream. They're a smallish group of players who avoid physicality at all costs. We need an accomplished fighter on this team.

We have seen certain players (e.g., Nico) finishing checks more often under Green, so I think some facets of physicality can be taught and implemented if emphasized by next season’s coaching staff, but I generally agree that the toughness the Devils need will probably have to come from without, as it doesn’t exist within.  MacDermid probably won’t be back, so Fitz will have to find 1-2 other players tough enough to stand up to Rempe but skilled enough not to be a detriment to their teammates when not checking someone into the boards.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Is there actually any proof of Devils fans doing this?  

No idea. I would hope it’s not true though because ragging on the guy’s family (particularly his dead father) would be messed up. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

No idea. I would hope it’s not true though because ragging on the guy’s family (particularly his dead father) would be messed up. 

Oh completely.  There’s no excuses for that sh!t EVER.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

We have seen certain players (e.g., Nico) finishing checks more often under Green, so I think some facets of physicality can be taught and implemented if emphasized by next season’s coaching staff, but I generally agree that the toughness the Devils need will probably have to come from without, as it doesn’t exist within.  MacDermid probably won’t be back, so Fitz will have to find 1-2 other players tough enough to stand up to Rempe but skilled enough not to be a detriment to their teammates when not checking someone into the boards.

On the flip side, maybe a better coach could come in and correct those issues with MacD. I don't know who Fitz could sign that could stand up to the likes of rempe. With all the celebrity this kid is generating I think he's going to be a mainstay on the Rangers for a while. And that will mean he'll be head-hunting our players, with Trouba following suit.

Maybe part of me longs for the days when the devils were an intimidating force during the '90s. I'm thrilled that we have highscoring finesse players, but when a team punches us in the mouth we wilt. And now we have to deal with a 6'7" goon who enjoys injuring our players. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The Devils fans—and I use such phrasing loosely in this case—harassing Rempe’s sister and making derisive comments about his father should be ashamed of themselves, as family members of players should be off-limits, irrespective of who the player is or how intensely he’s disliked.  I’ve no love for Rempe, but I won’t talk about his relatives, who’ve done nothing wrong.

That said, the subsequent comments by Rangers fans are equal parts hypocritical and laughable given the historical behavior of that fanbase toward ours.  Those people would do well to mind their own business as opposed to casting stones at the fans of a franchise whose success has generally surpassed that of the Rangers.  They’re yapping right now because they can, but when their team’s season ends in May, they’ll be even more miserable than all of us, their irrational hopes of a championship dashed again.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Is there actually any proof of Devils fans doing this?  

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh completely.  There’s no excuses for that sh!t EVER.

I can think of at least one Devils fan cruel enough to do something like this.  I won’t repeat his name, but everyone knows who I mean.  My additional thoughts are in my previous post.

11 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

That said, the subsequent comments by Rangers fans are equal parts hypocritical and laughable given the historical behavior of that fanbase toward ours.  Those people would do well to mind their own business as opposed to casting stones at the fans of a franchise whose success has generally surpassed that of the Rangers.  They’re yapping right now because they can, but when their team’s season ends in May, they’ll be even more miserable than all of us, their irrational hopes of a championship dashed again.

Yep. But they can have the regular season wins. In the end, no one remembers them and they don’t mean much. I still take pleasure in ending their season last year when they were supposed to be Cup contenders and we were the youngest team in the league. 

• Like 1