2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

Saw someone online put up two signatures side by side and the one on the Bastian pic looked different. Probably fake. I would hope even a mutant like Rempe would have sense enough not to sign a picture of an injured player. But who knows. 

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

There’s no chance Rempe gets anywhere near the ice in the playoffs.

Which will never not be funny.  For all the publicity Rempe has generated, he’s not a very good hockey player.  Elongated Head praised his skating, but that was likely an effect of him drinking Rangers Kool-Aid.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This article is from March 1, 1985; the year I became a Devils fan (15 days after the publish date, I turned 6, and I heard about the Devils not long after). Thought it would be fun to share. https://thehockeynews.com/news/archive-in-1985-devils-youngster-muller-learned-quickly-how-to-adapt-to-nhl-game?fbclid=IwAR2X3bf23xXahwN8Hu7QkgFkU5IaD24miHEGlRjRsGoHzHnVzsce7yST0Ps_aem_AdwicNyrMDssb1Em_2KZ2YQuALuDncJiEJcauysMbyfWf17mdW5VrhwK7Ib82J-KhUM

Edited by MadDog2020

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

This article is from March 1, 1985; the year I became a Devils fan (15 days after the publish date, I turned 6, and I heard about the Devils not long after). Thought it would be fun to share. https://thehockeynews.com/news/archive-in-1985-devils-youngster-muller-learned-quickly-how-to-adapt-to-nhl-game?fbclid=IwAR2X3bf23xXahwN8Hu7QkgFkU5IaD24miHEGlRjRsGoHzHnVzsce7yST0Ps_aem_AdwicNyrMDssb1Em_2KZ2YQuALuDncJiEJcauysMbyfWf17mdW5VrhwK7Ib82J-KhUM

Cool find!

Muller’s career took an odd turn…after two very good seasons with the Canadiens after having been dealt from the Devils (along with Roland Melanson) for Stephane Richer and Tom Chorske, his offense really declined quickly, even though he wasn’t old.  He had played a LOT of games…in his first seven seasons alone (all with the Devils) he’d missed just three games total.  He played until he was 36 but his best days were behind him once he reached his late 20s, both in terms of durability and production.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Cool find!

Muller’s career took an odd turn…after two very good seasons with the Canadiens after having been dealt from the Devils (along with Roland Melanson) for Stephane Richer and Tom Chorske, his offense really declined quickly, even though he wasn’t old.  He had played a LOT of games…in his first seven seasons alone (all with the Devils) he’d missed just three games total.  He played until he was 36 but his best days were behind him once he reached his late 20s, both in terms of durability and production.

Kirk Muller was a good consolation prize for the Devils in 1984.

It would have been a different world had the Pens been penalized for tanking 1984.

The Pens were really bad, but there was NO WAY they were worse than the Devils. 

Pens ownership wanted the Pens to tank knowing they wouldn't be penalized for doing it.

• Like 2

Just now, njbuff said:

Kirk Muller was a good consolation prize for the Devils in 1984.

It would have been a different world had the Pens been penalized for tanking 1984.

The Pens were really bad, but there was NO WAY they were worse than the Devils. 

Pens ownership wanted the Pens to tank knowing they wouldn't be penalized for doing it.

IIRC Lou had basically told Muller not to worry about his numbers when it came to his next contract, but then was told “But you only scored 19 goals!”

Yeah liked Muller quite a bit while he was here, and that trade worked out for both teams.  Muller won a Cup with the Canadiens, and Richer and Chorske won one with the Devils.

• Like 2

Since the start of 2022-23:

Goalie A:  .900 save%, -12.1 GSAA, .505 QS%

Goalie B:  .903 save%, -3.1 GSAA, .571 QS%

Goalie A is Markstrom

Goalie B is Vanecek

Sorry Fitz, if you wind up with Markstrom AND you have to give up key assets to do it, I’ll consider it a “throw it against the wall and hope it sticks” failure.  The fact is based on the balance of the last two seasons, you have no idea what Markstrom’s gonna provide, and that’s a serious problem.  He basically had one nice extended streak (22 games, .926 save% from early December to early March this season), but has been plenty meh the rest of the time over the last two years.  He’s not a solution, he's a giant fvcking question mark.

Question Markstrom indeed.

• Like 4

Also, while on the "Fitz please don't" train...don't bring Toffoli back.  Not even on a short-term deal.

Said it before, but Toffoli's the kind of player where if you put together a highlight reel of his goals, and then couple that with the fact he's scored 30+ two seasons in a row, it's easy to say "I want that guy, he can really find the net!"...and of course, everyone loves goals.

But after having seen him with the Devils, and seeing how Winnipeg's doing with him in the lineup (albeit a short sample), I now view him as more of a "cosmetic" guy, who yeah, puts some pucks home but doesn't really move the needle much, and who you don't really miss as much as you'd think you would once he's gone.

You can also put together of a reel of games where you barely even notice he played, or where his lack of speed hurts his linemates.

Nothing against him, and I understood making the deal the first time, but I wouldn't understand a Part Deux with him.  He just doesn't do nearly enough else, and besides, I'd much rather see the Devils add physicality or more of an all-arounder. 

• Like 2

And to give everyone an idea of exactly how much Allen is saving the Devils’ bacon…he’s put up an .833 QS% since coming here.  53% is about average, and that’s exactly where Allen sits for his career.

Sadly, unless this team suddenly figures out how to stop killing their goalies this season, this sh!t is as unsustainable as it can possibly get.  

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I hate the colors and I'm not supporting a team that won't play here full time but if anyone's interested... 

It would make much more sense if someone founded a Lady Devils team to play in NJ, as I’d support them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

It would make much more sense if someone founded a Lady Devils team to play in NJ, as I’d support them.

I'm sure if the league does well it eventually will happen. Personally I don't have the time nor desire to go that many events so I don't know how many games I'd go to even if we did have a Devils women's team. 

The schedule is the same problem I have with the women's soccer team called NJ/NY Gotham FC. The vast majority of their home games are played on Sundays the day after the Red Bulls play at home on Saturday. I just don't want to spend both days of my weekend at games. If I lived right across the street I'd absolutely go but it's just too much effort to do that on a regular basis for me currently. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And to give everyone an idea of exactly how much Allen is saving the Devils’ bacon…he’s put up an .833 QS% since coming here.  53% is about average, and that’s exactly where Allen sits for his career.

Sadly, unless this team suddenly figures out how to stop killing their goalies this season, this sh!t is as unsustainable as it can possibly get.  

This is absolutely not a defense of Lindy but the Devils have been a much worse five-on-five team by the underlying numbers since Green was put in charge.

The Devils are generating less shot attempts per 60 minutes while also giving up more:

image.png.023d078a9a2f1c4a8d4d2b54b16f390e.png

In terms of shot quality, those attempts for are weaker while the attempts against are stronger:

image.png.0cc61383756cef93be96143aa2486843.png

Which, all told, has led to the Devils being underwater (sub-50%) in shot quantity and quality share under Green:

image.png.ab4cb8891a3e957f08b5a9219bf3cf99.png

By actual goal share, Green has been better, but that's being heavily driven by the new goalie tandem playing WELL over their heads. The Devils have a ridiculous .929 high-danger SV% under Green at five-on-five (next closest team is at .858, for comparison).
Edited by nmigliore
  • Vomiting 1

36 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

This is absolutely not a defense of Lindy but the Devils have been a much worse five-on-five team by the underlying numbers since Green was put in charge.

The Devils are generating less shot attempts per 60 minutes while also giving up more:

image.png.023d078a9a2f1c4a8d4d2b54b16f390e.png

In terms of shot quality, those attempts for are weaker while the attempts against are stronger:

image.png.0cc61383756cef93be96143aa2486843.png

Which, all told, has led to the Devils being underwater (sub-50%) in shot quantity and quality share under Green:

image.png.ab4cb8891a3e957f08b5a9219bf3cf99.png

By actual goal share, Green has been better, but that's being heavily driven by the new goalie tandem playing WELL over their heads. The Devils have a ridiculous .929 high-danger SV% under Green at five-on-five (next closest team is at .858, for comparison).

Yeah it's basically a question of most of the staff needing to be fired off into the sun the day after the season ends.

It's been brought up plenty but man you can really see what a downgrade Groan was from Brunette.

The Devils are basically going to have to try to win ENTIRELY on their talent, which is what they managed to do last night, despite being outplayed for significant stretches.  Of course once Allen (.833 QS%) and Kahkonen's (.667 QS%) puck luck runs out, that probably won't be enough.

Would love to believe that there's some chance, ANY chance for a shocking late-season tear...but goddamn, nothing points to it being a real possibility.     

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Think about how much better these numbers could be if Bratt wasn’t in such a shooting funk.

But yeah basically these guys are going to have to keep putting up a lot of points.  The players are really on their own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Think about how much better these numbers could be if Bratt wasn’t in such a shooting funk.

But yeah basically these guys are going to have to keep putting up a lot of points.  The players are really on their own.

Agreed.  The players can’t depend on Green to devise a winning strategy for each game, so they’re going to have outplay, outwork their remaining opponents.

As an aside, I like that each line pair has a unique style, as Nico and Timo have beards, while Jack and Jesper are clean shaven.

So the Devils play exactly one game over the next six days:  Friday @ Buffalo (3/29).  After that, they don't play again until Tues, vs the Pens (4/2).

By then some of the current "games in hand" that teams have on the Devils will have evened out.

As far as semi-catchable/in the mud with the Devils teams go:

Flyers:   3/28 @ Montreal, 3/30 vs Blackhawks, 4/1 vs Isles

Caps:  3/28 @ Leafs, 3/30 vs Bruins

Red Wings:  3/28 @ Hurricanes, 3/30 @ Panthers, 4/1 @ Lightning

Isles:  3/28 @ Panthers, 3/30 @ Lightning, 4/1 @ Flyers

Not mentioning the Sabres or Pens because the way I see it, if the Devils fall behind either team at this point, they're probably screwed anyway.

When 4/2 rolls around, here's who's playing who:

Pens @ Devils

Caps @ Sabres

Isles @ Blackhawks

Basically, we'll know for sure by 4/2 if the Devils have any chance at all, or are merely playing out the string.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So the Devils play exactly one game over the next six days:  Friday @ Buffalo (3/29).  After that, they don't play again until Tues, vs the Pens (4/2).

By then some of the current "games in hand" that teams have on the Devils will have evened out.

As far as semi-catchable/in the mud with the Devils teams go:

Flyers:   3/28 @ Montreal, 3/30 vs Blackhawks, 4/1 vs Isles

Caps:  3/28 @ Leafs, 3/30 vs Bruins

Red Wings:  3/28 @ Hurricanes, 3/30 @ Panthers, 4/1 @ Lightning

Isles:  3/28 @ Panthers, 3/30 @ Lightning, 4/1 @ Flyers

Not mentioning the Sabres or Pens because the way I see it, if the Devils fall behind either team at this point, they're probably screwed anyway.

When 4/2 rolls around, here's who's playing who:

Pens @ Devils

Caps @ Sabres

Isles @ Blackhawks

Basically, we'll know for sure by 4/2 if the Devils have any chance at all, or are merely playing out the string.  

Flyers have a cakewalk, but those other 3 have tough schedules.

It's funny and frustrating that just when the Red Wings finally hit their expected regression wall, the Caps have taken their place as the terrible team getting all of the breaks. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Flyers have a cakewalk, but those other 3 have tough schedules.

It's funny and frustrating that just when the Red Wings finally hit their expected regression wall, the Caps have taken their place as the terrible team getting all of the breaks. 

Caps are 14-6-2 in their last 22.  Yet another head coach (a rookie no less) who's light years ahead of the fossil that helped to kill the Devils' season.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1