GDT - 1/11/24 Devils @ Lightning 7:00pm MSGN

NJDfan1711

Somehow VV is 7-2-2 in his last 11 decisions (Devils are 8-2-2 in his last 12 appearances overall).  He’s put up an .876 save% in those games.  Go figure.

2 hours ago, ringtwins said:

What nj coach came in and said the players looked lazy and fat, more bikes please. No effort in the games, bike.

C'mon, do you really think there was a lack of effort last night?  CLEARLY they were trying...that's the one thing that hasn't been much of an issue while Lindy's been here.  Some people confuse lack of results with lack of effort.  

@smelly quite sadly at this point, I think the Devils could probably bring Halak in on a tryout basis...doesn't mean that they should sign him if he appears to be cooked, but I don't know how much longer the Devils can wait for VV to come around.  They've given him 25 appearances and just about every opportunity to get into a groove...there's just no signs of it happening.  He's put up an .871 save% over his last 17 appearances, and an .876 save% over his last 6.

Halak is hardly a sexy option, but if he actually showed enough during tryouts (and maybe a stint in the AHL to get back into the swing), at least he wouldn't cost the Devils anything in assets.

Sucks even having to entertain Halak as a temporary stopgap, but I think the Devils have been as patient as they can really afford to be with VV for now.  They gave him the first half of the season, which I understand, and like I pointed out, the Devils' record in his appearances is somehow pretty good (15-8-2), but at some point, he's gotta justify the Devils continuing to believe in him enough to keep giving him chance after chance after chance.  It's one thing for some fans to be down on him 4-5 weeks into the season...nearly halfway, there's very little that can be said to keep defending giving him even more opportunities.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

No way you can fault their effort last night. They should have probably won despite icing a bunch of AHLers. They lost because Luke fell down and Vanecek is awful. 

Yeah, great effort last night. 

Overall they are playing a much tighter game because they can't outscore their problems right now but there are still several egregious turnovers a game that need to get cleaned up.   Luke's fall happens but he had another really bad one where he sent it right up the slot.  Smith had a terrible one early in the game as well about 2 feet out from Vanacek.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ringtwins said:

I meant a season long malaise, they look slow this season. 

That’s fair.  They do seem like they’re either a little bit slower, or teams have found out how to neutralize the Devils’ speed just enough.  

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

C'mon, do you really think there was a lack of effort last night?  CLEARLY they were trying...that's the one thing that hasn't been much of an issue while Lindy's been here.  Some people confuse lack of results with lack of effort.  

@smelly quite sadly at this point, I think the Devils could probably bring Halak in on a tryout basis...doesn't mean that they should sign him if he appears to be cooked, but I don't know how much longer the Devils can wait for VV to come around.  They've given him 25 appearances and just about every opportunity to get into a groove...there's just no signs of it happening.  He's put up an .871 save% over his last 17 appearances, and an .876 save% over his last 6.

Halak is hardly a sexy option, but if he actually showed enough during tryouts (and maybe a stint in the AHL to get back into the swing), at least he wouldn't cost the Devils anything in assets.

Sucks even having to entertain Halak as a temporary stopgap, but I think the Devils have been as patient as they can really afford to be with VV for now.  They gave him the first half of the season, which I understand, and like I pointed out, the Devils' record in his appearances is somehow pretty good (15-8-2), but at some point, he's gotta justify the Devils continuing to believe in him enough to keep giving him chance after chance after chance.  It's one thing for some fans to be down on him 4-5 weeks into the season...nearly halfway, there's very little that can be said to keep defending giving him even more opportunities.   

I agree -- if they were to even consider Halak it would have to be handled in that manner.

FWIW, I am hoping that this is finally coming to a head and Fitz does SOMETHING, ANYTHING to address this issue now.

Matt and Chico -- typically the organization's Baghdad Bobs -- are finally beginning to say on the broadcasts what everyone already knows.

Ryan from nj.com has already come out and flagged the need for a VV replacement.

And today Cordell absolutely and painstakingly destroyed VV with a litany of stats and facts that are so depressing they seem as if they have to have been made up (out of respect for his paywall, I won't copy and paste here -- but it is worth a read).

Fitz has to be feeling the heat even more intensely now -- at an absolute minimum he has to bring AS back and send VV down (waivers be damned -- it would be great for all parties if someone claimed him, but alas no one will).

Edited by smelly
  • Like 2