Martin called for duty

RandomguyX

http://tsn.ca/world_cup_hockey/news_story.asp?id=96249

Martin to replace Leopold for Team USA

TSN.ca Staff

8/25/2004

With the loss of Jordan Leopold to injury, USA Hockey announced Paul Martin has been added to the lineup for the American team.

Leopold suffered a concussion in Team USA's 3-1 win over Team Canada on Monday night. The two team square off again at the Corel Centre in Ottawa Wednesday night.

Martin appeared in 70 games with the New Jersey Devils last season, scoring 24 points and recording a rating of +12.

"Unfortunately Jordan will be unable to participate further in the World Cup due to his injury status," said Team USA General Manager Larry Pleau. "However this represents a tremendous opportunity for Paul Martin, who is a rising young star in the National Hockey League and a player who can contribute for us on defense."

Prior to joining the Devils, Martin helped the University of Minnesota capture back-to-back NCAA Division I national championships in 2002 and 2003. During his three-year collegiate career he registered 97 points (20-77) in 127 games. He has also represented the United States by skating in the 2001 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship in Russia.

Uh-oh. Team USA = 3 Devils. Team Canada = 2 Devils.

I may actually have to root for the USA now that the # of Devils is 3 to 2. Although it will kill me to root against Marty. :noclue:

I thought there are actually four, unless you aren't counting Rafalski due to his possible injury.

Uh-oh.  Team USA = 3 Devils.  Team Canada = 2 Devils.

I may actually have to root for the USA now that the # of Devils is 3 to 2.  Although it will kill me to root against Marty.  :noclue:

I thought there are actually four, unless you aren't counting Rafalski due to his possible injury.

I thought it was Rafalski and Gomez, now Martin. Who is the fourth Devil on Team USA??? Am I getting early-onset Alzheimers???

Wow with Martin added to the roster team USA now has 6 Devils draft picks/existing Devils:

Guerin, Rolston, Gomez, Rafalski, Martin and Langenbrunner.

GO DEVS GO!!!

OK, it was Langernbrunner I forgot. Forgive me Jaime!!!! How could I!!!! :evil:

Guerin - :angry:

Rolston - OK

Wow with Martin added to the roster team USA now has 6 Devils draft picks/existing Devils:

Guerin, Rolston, Gomez, Rafalski, Martin and Langenbrunner.

GO DEVS GO!!!

OK, it was Langernbrunner I forgot. Forgive me Jaime!!!! How could I!!!! :evil:

Guerin - :angry:

Rolston - OK

OMG u did NOT just forget about JAMIE!!! The Horror!! I dont know if i will ever be able to fogrive u .. :(

HEHE

I think Leopold gets the nod because he has an extra year of NHL experience, I think the Martin we see next season will look every bit as good as Leopold did this past season. They both picked up the NHL game very fast so it is tough to figure out who will have the higher ceiling and whose growth curve will slow down quicker.

PS I wrote this at work like an hour ago before I saw Mission's reply and it is sort of useless now but I'll post it anyway to increase my post count :D

-Scott

I'm disappointed that Leopold can't play but his head is more important. Hope he recovers.

Martin is a good replacement for Leopold. Both have similar styles. So, Martin should fit in well. Maybe he'll even get to play with Leetch on the power play :D. That would be fun to watch.

My one question is why no Bryan Berard? I feel he deserved to be on this roster.