GDT: 3/19/24 Penguins @ Devils 7:00 pm MSGSN

ButlerBulldog

Torts scratched Couturier tonight. He says "I need to see more from him"...

We, on the other hand, allow Luke and Jack to repeatedly stink the house and reward them with more ice time. 

See the difference?

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Back in the day that was absolutely Brian Rolston Part Deux.

There's older guys currently here who aren't as good as they were but (sadly) I think they're trying (Palat, Smith).  Rolston played like he couldn't have given less of a damn, and seem to almost relish being a nudge.  Remember those stupid winks that he would give to the camera when he was here that second time?  I don't know what that guy's deal was, especially since he supposedly WANTED to come back here and had his agent contact Lou.  

Ah, yes, I remember Brian Rolston.  He definitely was here only to collect a paycheck, which makes me wonder why Lou would’ve taken him back in the first place.

28 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

Torts scratched Couturier tonight. He says "I need to see more from him"...

We, on the other hand, allow Luke and Jack to repeatedly stink the house and reward them with more ice time. 

See the difference?

Jack isn’t healthy, which is why I’m hoping he’s shut down as soon as the Devils are mathematically eliminated, if not sooner.  Luke definitely needs to sit a game, and I don’t know why the coaching staff is reluctant to bench him.  I guess they’d rather pick on Nemec, who’s generally been the better of the pair of late.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Jack isn’t healthy, which is why I’m hoping he’s shut down as soon as the Devils are mathematically eliminated, if not sooner.  Luke definitely needs to sit a game, and I don’t know why the coaching staff is reluctant to bench him.  I guess they’d rather pick on Nemec, who’s generally been the better of the pair of late.

They should have kept Miller, signed him as a depth piece in the off-season, and sat Luke. The whole "asset management" thing when you get a mid to late 4th round pick 2 years from now just doesn't add up for me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

They should have kept Miller, signed him as a depth piece in the off-season, and sat Luke. The whole "asset management" thing when you get a mid to late 4th round pick 2 years from now just doesn't add up for me.

I’m hoping they still re-sign Miller when he hits free-agency this summer, as his return will almost certainly mean the end of Smith.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I’m hoping they still re-sign Miller when he hits free-agency this summer, as his return will almost certainly mean the end of Smith.

Smith has Fitz' endearment and will be like a bad rash come this summer.

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I see this thrown around a bit, but there's nothing to me that suggests Jack isn't healthy other than he just "doesn't look right", and hasn't been lighting the world on fire like he's done so much in his short career so far.  I know he was hurt earlier, but he missed time and then came back - I don't think they rushed him back, and his dip in production doesn't give him a free pass where people go "Oh, Jack isn't scoring regularly, he must be hurt".  No, sorry, he gets the same treatment everyone else does.  Jack needs to play better, there's no two ways about it.  And obviously he's not alone so I'm by no means singling him out, but labeling him as injured and him having to be shut down for the remainder of the season doesn't hold any water based on the evidence we have available.   

• Like 1

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I see this thrown around a bit, but there's nothing to me that suggests Jack isn't healthy other than he just "doesn't look right", and hasn't been lighting the world on fire like he's done so much in his short career so far.  I know he was hurt earlier, but he missed time and then came back - I don't think they rushed him back, and his dip in production doesn't give him a free pass where people go "Oh, Jack isn't scoring regularly, he must be hurt".  No, sorry, he gets the same treatment everyone else does.  Jack needs to play better, there's no two ways about it.  And obviously he's not alone so I'm by no means singling him out, but labeling him as injured and him having to be shut down for the remainder of the season doesn't hold any water based on the evidence we have available.   

Lindy himself acknowledged that Jack wasn’t 100% shortly before he was fired.

1 minute ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Lindy himself acknowledged that Jack wasn’t 100% shortly before he was fired.

He did? I missed that then.  Was it still his shoulder?  I'm assuming then that he offered no explanation as to why he's still playing then.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

He did? I missed that then.  Was it still his shoulder?  I'm assuming then that he offered no explanation as to why he's still playing then.

I’ll try to find the exact quote for you.  I don’t remember him mentioning the shoulder specifically, only that Jack was still laboring.

Edit: Here it is.

Edited by ButlerBulldog
  • Like 1

We have a really hard time setting up players for one-timers. We put passes on sticks and on tape, but not in good shooting positions. I'm seeing so often players have to corral pucks and control them instead of one timing them. 

Two of our guys just did it a minute ago and they were two feet from each other. I don't get it. 

• Like 1

Ridiculous sh!t by Allen.  

Everyone said goaltending was the problem this season, they're finally getting it, and in a big way. The rest of the team needs to start playing much better and putting pucks in the net. And obviously it goes without saying that they need to stop the turnovers and odd man rushes.

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Ridiculous sh!t by Allen.  

Everyone said goaltending was the problem this season, they're finally getting it, and in a big way. The rest of the team needs to start playing much better and putting pucks in the net. And obviously it goes without saying that they need to stop the turnovers and odd man rushes.

Goaltending has most definitely been a problem, but it’s far from the only problem.