NHL 2005 Preview

Derek21

There's just nothing like it, Derek. I'm a huge fan of hockey games, but this one takes the cake. Sure the graphics aren't all that great, but there's something about the gameplay, I can't even explain it. It's also really cool to see the rosters and still have the Whalers, Nords, and Jets around. *tear*

I'd take '94 anyday over some of the more recent games.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing for me though, I'd rather play a hockey game on the computer than on an x-box of ps2, but that's just me. I think I'll end up sticking with NHL 2005...hell, I'll probably order it right now.

Yeah RD, I have a PS2. I have a couple of older games on the computer, but most stuff I get for PS/PS2.

NHL

'99 Faceoff is a good game too. Got that game for Christmas from my brother, wish I had gotten some better gifts for him cause of that! Oops! :P Having Doc as a commentator was really great too, that's the thing with these games now -- I HATE the commentary. I especially hated how for a while, EA would have their dim-wit commenators make stupid comments that had nothing to do with the game itself. Just didn't seem professional at all. EA's idea of humor was LAME. I'd end up turning up the gameplay sound and completely turning off the commentator sound because of that.

But yeah, '99 was good and they really did improve on the graphics with that game. That seemed to be the first one where they really worked hard on making the players look a little more lifelike, instead of little blobs floating around on ice with oversized "sticks", chasing a puck that looked like one huge donut (and yes, when I played with my brother we'd call it a donut!).

For those interested, you can read a fair review of NHL 2K5 via http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/espnnhl...?q=espn+nhl+2k5

I purchased my copy yesterday morning and have been hooked since. I'm not that big on charm or tradition, so I can say that it is rather easily the best hockey game to date that I've played. Personally, I got tired of scoring off easy dekes and one-timers in bunches in the EA series a while ago.

In regard to why the game hasn't changed GREATLY since last year's installment, it's rather difficult to improve upon the formula that 2k4 used. They redesigned the control scheme somewhat (adding "intense" controls, skating backwards with full stick control, etc.), the fighting engine (not as if I cared, but many complained about last year's), made the franchise mode even deeper, added more unlockables, made the goaltenders more human, added a party mode and made the game even more flat-out fun.

And how are EA's games better in football and basketball? The general consensus is that MVP is better than ESPN baseball because of the more realistic pitching, etc., but ESPN NFL has a more refined control scheme than Madden and is a better bargain to boot. ESPN doesn't have a soccer game, though...but that's okay, because I'll buy the next Winning Elevens game.

There's just nothing like it, Derek. I'm a huge fan of hockey games, but this one takes the cake. Sure the graphics aren't all that great, but there's something about the gameplay, I can't even explain it. It's also really cool to see the rosters and still have the Whalers, Nords, and Jets around. *tear*

I feel the same way RD. Especially about those teams like Hartford, Quebec and Winnipeg. They still should be in the NHL. What ashame.

I feel the same way RD. Especially about those teams like Hartford, Quebec and Winnipeg. They still should be in the NHL. What ashame.

I agree. No offense to Yotes, Avsmonkey, and Canes fans, but those three teams really should still be around. I'm sorry, but the Nords were an amazing team. I loved their sweaters, too. *sigh* Why'd they have to go to Colorado...

Same for Carolina. And I know Maddog is still hurting from that one, too. Hartford should really have a hockey club, and that hockey club should be the Whalers. Man, now THAT'S the best logo in the NHL.

And of course, the Jets were always a fun team to watch :)

Well, I just pre-ordered NHL 2005. Looking forward to playing it, especially the World Cup.

Hey Derek, I think I just might pull out '94 tonight and play a game. If we ever meet up, we should play a game :evil:

"Hey Derek, I think I just might pull out '94 tonight and play a game. If we ever meet up, we should play a game :evil:." -RoughDraft

LMAO... I was thinking about playing one for old-time's sake tonight. Maybe I will be Winnipeg and take on Quebec in an old Canadian battle. Btw... both those rosters are loaded with talent.

As I remember it best, the Quebec roster has Sakic, Sundin, Ricci, Rucinsky, Kovalenko, Nolan and Simon.

Winnipeg includes Zhamnov, Tkachuk, Selanne, Davydov (he was good then) and a young Stu Barnes.

Ha... I wonder who would win in NHL '94 if we played :evil:?

Edited by Derek21

I really wish the Nords could have gotten that Cup in '96 instead of the Avs, it would have been a great team. That city deserved it, I feel bad em.

I dunno Derek, I was pretty damn good at '94 :P ...after many grudgematches against my brother, I learned a few things. And yes, he's the video game wizard!

If there's a a hockey game that you NEED to have, then it's NHL '94. That game is so amazing. I remember playing it EVERY DAY after school with my brother, my mom would have to pry us away from the Super Nintendo for dinner/homework/basketball etc...man, I love that game. I still pop it in every once and a while and play a game.

Thank you RD. It's just a great game. You and I are very alike in this aspect. I still play it every once in a while. The most disappointing thing was that for whatever reason, our user records got reset to zero which stunk. My record was insane. LMAO... I can't remember how many games I played and won. But it was a lot :rofl:.

I feel the same way about NHLPA 93 and NHL 95. I wish I still had a Super Nintendo controller that worked. Oh well... I gave away NHLPA 93 before I realized it was EAs first game of the series. :argh: Then the kid I gave it to moved away before I could have stolen it back.

It is ironic, the EA games 'are' better than ESPN in every sport - except hockey! If EA put half the effort into hockey that they did in, say NCAA Football, they'd make an awesome game (maybe they've done that this year, but too late). And now the ESPN games are $30 less, to boot.

Both hockey games have a LOT of problems, but I think EA is definitely better in both graphics and gameplay. The only ESPN game that's better than its EA counterpart is NBA. EA NBA Live is atrocious.

Also, EA last year was a totally new development team.

I had NHL 94 for my PC... Jarrod Skalde was the best player in the league and made a lot of damage on the left wing B )

Was it like that on other consoles too? players like Oleg petrov and Jarrod Skalde had near 100 on everything

Still miss the good ol days when me and a buddy used to play against eachother, we used to take turns with who had to use the mouse. :D

I'm so used to EA's versions, I'm not sure if I could switch over to ESPN. I've been playing EA's versions since '94 (CLASSIC!) came out on Super Nintendo, and I have each one ever since. I'm still going to pick up NHL 2005, but maybe I'll look into NHL 2K5 since you guys are saying it's that good.

'94 is my all-time favorite!!!!!!! LOL... that is a great game. I still enjoy playing it on my old Genesis system. Classic in every sense! And rosters the way you remember'em without all the players changing teams.

Hmmmm....I wonder why 94 is your favorite?!?!?! Oh man I am so stumped!!! :rofl:

:lol: In all fairness though, '94 was a kickass game.

Oh ABSOLUTELY!! One of the best hockey games I ever played!!!! I was bu$ting Derek's chops over the 94 reference (Ranger$) :rofl:

I remember having the original EA Hockey on my cpu emulator, which is pre original NHL Hockey (the one with the Devils/Kings in the intro) It has all international teams but with NHL roster numbers and uni's, so it didn't have the license yet, but you could figure it out. The all red soviet team was the flames and they were the best in the league, the all green brazil team was the North Stars.

I look at hockeydb and it's cool to see the players in the game from the 89-90 rosters. Lafleur was a Nordique, Paul Maclean on the Blues, Al Secord, Larry Robinson, Rick Vaive, Bernie Federko.

EA%20Sports%202-in-1%20(EA%20Hockey)%20(GS).png

I played NHL 2K5 yesterday for the first time... it's fun enough, but I dunno, even NHL 2004 felt more realistic with the gameplay. I just didn't feel like I was controlling skaters because every player can just magically accelerate to full-force almost immediately. And if you win a fight, you get unlimited turbo boost for a little while -- which is both good and hokey. I'm sure there's a way to turn that option off.

But anyway, 2004 felt more like I was actually playing hockey than ESPN did. So personally, I'm goin' with 2005 this year. All the articles I've read about it and the features in it sound great... I'm very eXcited.

You can turn that off by pausing during gameplay, going to Options -> General and disabling Speed Burst After Fight Win. Personally, I like that addition, as long as you lower the fighting in the game. Makes it more realistic, as winning a fight does tend to energize a team in reality.

It is ironic, the EA games 'are' better than ESPN in every sport - except hockey!  If EA put half the effort into hockey that they did in, say NCAA Football, they'd make an awesome game (maybe they've done that this year, but too late).  And now the ESPN games are $30 less, to boot.

Both hockey games have a LOT of problems, but I think EA is definitely better in both graphics and gameplay. The only ESPN game that's better than its EA counterpart is NBA. EA NBA Live is atrocious.

Also, EA last year was a totally new development team.

Why you do feel that EA's hockey games feature better gameplay than ESPN's? Winning games by a lopsided margin even on the highest difficulties in EA's games (every year) surely gets tiring, as does the general arcade-esque nature.

With regard to the problems, do you mean glitches or actual gameplay flaws? Many people play 2k4 and/or 2k5, start a season or franchise and are immediately turned off by the ridiculous amount of injuries and how it's almost impossible to rectify their team's roster accordingly, but you can lower the injury frequency (which is almost a must, IMO) or completely turn injuries off. If the passing seems off to you at first, you can mess around with the passing slider, as well. The same thing applies for fighting (if you find it occurs too frequently).

Edited by Giuseppe

I remember having the original EA Hockey on my cpu emulator, which is pre original NHL Hockey (the one with the Devils/Kings in the intro) It has all international teams but with NHL roster numbers and uni's, so it didn't have the license yet, but you could figure it out. The all red soviet team was the flames and they were the best in the league, the all green brazil team was the North Stars.

I look at hockeydb and it's cool to see the players in the game from the 89-90 rosters. Lafleur was a Nordique, Paul Maclean on the Blues, Al Secord, Larry Robinson, Rick Vaive, Bernie Federko.

That looks really cool 7'. I love it!

Why you do feel that EA's hockey games feature better gameplay than ESPN's? Winning games by a lopsided margin even on the highest difficulties in EA's games (every year) surely gets tiring, as does the general arcade-esque nature.

With regard to the problems, do you mean glitches or actual gameplay flaws? Many people play 2k4 and/or 2k5, start a season or franchise and are immediately turned off by the ridiculous amount of injuries and how it's almost impossible to rectify their team's roster accordingly, but you can lower the injury frequency (which is almost a must, IMO) or completely turn injuries off. If the passing seems off to you at first, you can mess around with the passing slider, as well. The same thing applies for fighting (if you find it occurs too frequently).

With a little tweaking of sliders you can get very realistic play on EA's game... aside from the goalies, of course. But the goalies in ESPN are bad, too... too perfect. Admittedly, I don't have much experience with ESPN since I don't have a console, so I am a bit biased. But the overall gameplay didn't feel as realistic to me as EA's. I'm sure it could be tuned better with sliders.

I'm pretty damned good at NHL 2004, and with the sliders I use, I win most games, but I get beat sometimes, too. For example, I was playing some World Cup games for fun... USA vs. Slovakia I won 7-3 or something, but USA vs. Canada I got beat a few times (Brodeur's just too damned good) and won a few times. The main thing with the sliders is to turn game speed down and tweak the physics so you don't get ridiculous bounces. Oh, yeah, and don't be cheap and go for glitch goals.

If I have one major complaint with the game it's that the goalies really suck, and you can't tune that with sliders. Hopefully they'll completely redo the goalies for 2006.

No hockey game is going to be solid from top to bottom, that's the problem. Hockey games have development teams of like 10 people. Football games have like 50 or 60.

With a little tweaking of sliders you can get very realistic play on EA's game... aside from the goalies, of course. But the goalies in ESPN are bad, too... too perfect. Admittedly, I don't have much experience with ESPN since I don't have a console, so I am a bit biased. But the overall gameplay didn't feel as realistic to me as EA's. I'm sure it could be tuned better with sliders.

I'm pretty damned good at NHL 2004, and with the sliders I use, I win most games, but I get beat sometimes, too. For example, I was playing some World Cup games for fun... USA vs. Slovakia I won 7-3 or something, but USA vs. Canada I got beat a few times (Brodeur's just too damned good) and won a few times. The main thing with the sliders is to turn game speed down and tweak the physics so you don't get ridiculous bounces. Oh, yeah, and don't be cheap and go for glitch goals.

If I have one major complaint with the game it's that the goalies really suck, and you can't tune that with sliders. Hopefully they'll completely redo the goalies for 2006.

No hockey game is going to be solid from top to bottom, that's the problem. Hockey games have development teams of like 10 people. Football games have like 50 or 60.

Fair enough. To be honest, I didn't play NHL 2004 for too long, as I had borrowed it from a friend. I was just turned off by the more offensive flow of the game, I guess.

Concerning ESPN NHL Hockey (2K4), the goaltenders were very difficult to beat on All-Star and Hall of Famer, but after playing the game for a while and getting adjusted to the control scheme, you can win games on those difficulty levels by a comfortable margin (2-3 goals). I agree with you about the goaltender sliders in 2K4, as they didn't seem to help much...however, I scored a lot of one-timer and garbage goals after a while.

Regarding 2K5, though, I was immediately able to score 3-4 goals and sometimes more, even while playing on All-Star (the second hardest difficulty level). I'm not sure whether it's because I was used to 2K4, but it seems as if I can score even on wraparounds and with simple dekes.

I guess to form a rather unbiased opinion, you have to play both games for an extended period of time (which I, admittedly, didn't do) and try to adjust the settings to your liking. Do you know which you're going to purchase this year? You could always try buying both if you wish, so that you could tune the sliders in both games to your liking. Plus the $20 spent on 2K5 probably won't set you back much, even if you aren't pleased with it.

Edited by Giuseppe

I bought 2K4 last year and the one thing that killed me was how it handled injuries in the playoffs. I'd have a guy out for "a few days" or "1 to 2 weeks" in the first round and he would be out for the duration of the playoffs.

Unfortunately, the injuries are still rather flawed, as Madden suffered a "bruised face" and was supposed to be out for 1-2 days yet remained injured for a week or so. Playing a season or franchise with the injuries as they are set by default is ridiculously annoying, so it's best to lower the frequency (by a LOT) or just turn them off.

Well, 3 games into a season on NHL2k5 and already Stevens is out 2-4 months with a torn ligement in his knee and Hrdina is out 1-2 weeks with a arm injury.

Nice. I know you can turn injuries off, but then that takes away part of the game, but 2 injuries in 3 games, come on. Other then that the game play is ok. Can't wait to try NHL2005 though.

Well, 3 games into a season on NHL2k5 and already Stevens is out 2-4 months with a torn ligement in his knee and Hrdina is out 1-2 weeks with a arm injury. 

Nice.  I know you can turn injuries off, but then that takes away part of the game, but 2 injuries in 3 games, come on.  Other then that the game play is ok.  Can't wait to try NHL2005 though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try lowering the Injury Frequency slider via Season Options. I hope that helps.

I got 2K5 last week and I think it's great.

The bad news is that the game is somewhat buggy and sloppy. The developers made a lot of stupid mistakes (Ryder is not from Finaldn, Zherdev is not 30) and the interface is quite frustrating. The announcers are abysmal when it comes to pronunciation and mistakes, but I prefer turning them off anyway.

But the good news is that the gameplay is stellar. Oh, and the goalies are fine. You can score on a wide variety of shots and strategies. It's really rewarding and realistic. It's great right out of the box, but there are sliders to tweak anything (injuries, penalties, passing accuracy, etc).

I am really happy about this because I had not bought a hockey game in a few years because I really dislike EA's style of gameplay and the 2K series was buggy and frustrating. I gave 2K another shot this year thanks to the low price and I am really really pleased. Furthermore, "party mode" is an absolute blast and worth the price on it's own.

Edited by Zero

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NHL Hockey for Genesis was EA's first hockey game. The version with international teams was actually the European version of the original NHL Hockey.

Around 95 or 96 they made a Swedish Eliteserien version too.

I really really really enjoyed those old EA games back in the day, but I find they have aged terribly compared to modern games and are not very playable any more.