NHL 2005 Preview

Derek21

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was supposed to get ESPN NHL 2K5 today, but I couldn't get a ride to buy it. Its much cheaper, and just as good of a hockey game if not better.

I got it yesterday. So far I haven't played many games other than just mini-games (Party Mode) with my friends after the Canada-USA game. I'm trying to create a team (Windsor Wanderers :P ) and use it in a franchise, but I can't seem to find a good way to pick players. I can either use all free agents, screw up every single team by doing a fantasy draft, or go around picking the best players and being as cheap as I possibly can.

I think I'm going to try to come up with something that resembles an expansion draft.

Is there a strike mode where you sit there looking at empty sheet of ice and no matter how you thrash on the gamepad, nothing happens?

:rofl: actually that is the game until the strike ends. Then EA will release a NHLPA patch.

I'm looking forward to the franchise mode. I was told they have improved the trades AI.

Btw, anyone know the requirements for this game?

I cant stand console games; they are wayyyyyyyyy to slow and choppy...

Keep building your computer; get a good gamepad; and it just kills Px2 and XBox...

Im looking forward to continuing my franchise from ea2004 into ea2005.... its going to allow you; and Im giddy!

I cant stand console games; they are wayyyyyyyyy to slow and choppy...

Keep building your computer; get a good gamepad; and it just kills Px2 and XBox...

Im looking forward to continuing my franchise from ea2004 into ea2005.... its going to allow you; and Im giddy!

is that true ???

Is that true for the PS-2 also.. that's sweet !!!

you get all wrapped up in getting and drafting all these rookies and I was 4 seasons into it and the idea of starting all over just did nothing for me... that would kick MAJOR ass if it holds true for the PS-2 !! :hail::hail:

Is there a strike mode where you sit there looking at empty sheet of ice and no matter how you thrash on the gamepad, nothing happens?

Or how about this for a special feature...

If any of you ever played NCAA Football 2004, there is a way to play a game with team mascots vs team mascots...how about creating 2 like this for NHL 2005, The Gary Bettmans and the Bob Goodenows, and the fighting setting for these exhibition matches are turned up to the max!!!

If you have a console, you can't do better than ESPN 2k5. The game is not perfect but it is darn good. I don't really care or EA's offerings anymore.

chris

You know I used to swear by the EA games and I am one to take any shot at E$PN, I really do de$pi$e most things about that network, but my 13 yr old nephew brought over ESPN Hockey from last year, and I must say I really enjoyed it, the gameplay was excellent, so I will be buying the ESPN game this time around.

I love hockey video games. Its the only way I can get the Sabres to win the Stanley Cup :argh:

I for one didn't like ESPN's game play for the Xbox. Then again that's the only console hockey game I've played in years. EA 2004 for PC in my opinion owns all hockey games to date. Can't wait for 2005. I'm probably going to rent ESPN 2k5 though just to test it out and if it's decent, I may buy it for the price, just because playing against friends is easier on a console then on the PC. The only downside to EA is all the 9 year olds playing on EA Online.

If you have a console, you can't do better than ESPN 2k5. The game is not perfect but it is darn good. I don't really care or EA's offerings anymore.

chris

You know I used to swear by the EA games and I am one to take any shot at E$PN, I really do de$pi$e most things about that network, but my 13 yr old nephew brought over ESPN Hockey from last year, and I must say I really enjoyed it, the gameplay was excellent, so I will be buying the ESPN game this time around.

I love hockey video games. Its the only way I can get the Sabres to win the Stanley Cup :argh:

It is ironic, the EA games 'are' better than ESPN in every sport - except hockey! If EA put half the effort into hockey that they did in, say NCAA Football, they'd make an awesome game (maybe they've done that this year, but too late). And now the ESPN games are $30 less, to boot.

It is ironic, the EA games 'are' better than ESPN in every sport - except hockey! If EA put half the effort into hockey that they did in, say NCAA Football, they'd make an awesome game (maybe they've done that this year, but too late). And now the ESPN games are $30 less, to boot.

I played NHL 2K5 yesterday for the first time... it's fun enough, but I dunno, even NHL 2004 felt more realistic with the gameplay. I just didn't feel like I was controlling skaters because every player can just magically accelerate to full-force almost immediately. And if you win a fight, you get unlimited turbo boost for a little while -- which is both good and hokey. I'm sure there's a way to turn that option off.

But anyway, 2004 felt more like I was actually playing hockey than ESPN did. So personally, I'm goin' with 2005 this year. All the articles I've read about it and the features in it sound great... I'm very eXcited.

2K5 is a little bit unwieldy gameplaywise, cause there are so many different controls to master, although you can simplify it if you choose. NHL 2004 was okay as far as the actual gameplay but the franchise mode was kinda dorky, you injure toes for several weeks (haven't played ESPN enough to know how the injury thing works though I suppose what trainer you hire plays into it), and buying points toward the draft does no good unless you buy ALL the points and when you do the prospects are all mediocre :P

From the stuff I've read about both games, I just feel that EA did more to actually try and improve the game for this year, whereas ESPN saw that they had some success last year and decided not to tweak it too much.

Check out the NHL 2005 features at EA's webpage.

I'm excited for the World Cup play...I've been wanting that for a long time, that should be really cool.

The Drill looks really cool, too.

I'm so used to EA's versions, I'm not sure if I could switch over to ESPN. I've been playing EA's versions since '94 (CLASSIC!) came out on Super Nintendo, and I have each one ever since. I'm still going to pick up NHL 2005, but maybe I'll look into NHL 2K5 since you guys are saying it's that good.

'94 is my all-time favorite!!!!!!! LOL... that is a great game. I still enjoy playing it on my old Genesis system. Classic in every sense! And rosters the way you remember'em without all the players changing teams.

I'm so used to EA's versions, I'm not sure if I could switch over to ESPN. I've been playing EA's versions since '94 (CLASSIC!) came out on Super Nintendo, and I have each one ever since. I'm still going to pick up NHL 2005, but maybe I'll look into NHL 2K5 since you guys are saying it's that good.

'94 is my all-time favorite!!!!!!! LOL... that is a great game. I still enjoy playing it on my old Genesis system. Classic in every sense! And rosters the way you remember'em without all the players changing teams.

Hmmmm....I wonder why 94 is your favorite?!?!?! Oh man I am so stumped!!! :rofl:

If there's a a hockey game that you NEED to have, then it's NHL '94. That game is so amazing. I remember playing it EVERY DAY after school with my brother, my mom would have to pry us away from the Super Nintendo for dinner/homework/basketball etc...man, I love that game. I still pop it in every once and a while and play a game.

Hmmmm....I wonder why 94 is your favorite?!?!?! Oh man I am so stumped!!! :rofl:

:lol: In all fairness though, '94 was a kickass game.

Hmmmm....I wonder why 94 is your favorite?!?!?!  Oh man I am so stumped!!!  :rofl:

Oh cmoooooooon already! It's just a coincidence. That happened to be my favorite game before the Rangers won that year. I just liked how it played. My brother Justin and I used to have some epic battles.

If there's a a hockey game that you NEED to have, then it's NHL '94. That game is so amazing. I remember playing it EVERY DAY after school with my brother, my mom would have to pry us away from the Super Nintendo for dinner/homework/basketball etc...man, I love that game. I still pop it in every once and a while and play a game.

Thank you RD. It's just a great game. You and I are very alike in this aspect. I still play it every once in a while. The most disappointing thing was that for whatever reason, our user records got reset to zero which stunk. My record was insane. LMAO... I can't remember how many games I played and won. But it was a lot :rofl:.