Game Thread

Weekes Head

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's the answer.. the team has won as a team and lost as a team, and they're starting to develop some chemistry and camaraderie.. so let's bring in a 34 year old mercenary who's doing nothing since coming over to North America.

At least Val Kamensky was a huge playoff performer.

Dopita will be back in Vsetin before we know it. The Oilers got ripped off again.. do you know how the Devils got Brian Gionta, NJay? By trading the Oilers the rights to a similar piece of hockey filth, Frederik Lindquist.. he came over for one year, and did nothing, and went back to Sweden.. Devils got a 4th round pick, and the rest is history.

Teams that go for the Dopita solution ALWAYS get burnt.

The Oilers have done it for years, resurrecting the careers of players like Pat Falloon and Josef Beranek, and letting players like Ray Whitney, Mariusz Czerkawski, and Miroslav Satan pass through Edmonton.

Toronto has done it with Reichel and Hoglund and it's gotten them nowhere. Both Reichel and Hoglund have had 0 goal playoff years, which is inexcusable.

Flyers have tried it with Michal Sykora and now Jiri Dopita, both times it was a miserable failure.

Tri:

Dopita will be back in Vsetin before we know it. The Oilers got ripped off again.. do you know how the Devils got Brian Gionta, NJay? By trading the Oilers the rights to a similar piece of hockey filth, Frederik Lindquist..

I'm guessing you don't like Dopita :lol:

I'm not sure how Dopita got into the game thread but I do agree with you. I could do without a player who only came to the NHL largely because of a player who's not even on his team anymore (Checkmanek).

Yeah, yeah..

I guess in a perfect world there'd be a way to justify opinions, but there really isn't.. any claim's as good as another in this case.

My problem with Dopita has nothing to do with the regular season.. I wouldn't be surprised if he were capable of 70 points on the regular season. But in the playoffs, the paychecks stop. Dopita just doesn't strike me as a guy who has any interest whatsoever in winning a Stanley Cup. When a guy comes over at 32 after resisting for years.. winning the Cup clearly is just meaningless.

The Oilers have always been strapped for cash, that's why they let Satan and Czerkawski go and take on projects like Falloon(could never score) Beranek(wildly inconsistant) and now Dopita, who is old and just not very good. Edmonton is always the first to go after these guys, they usually play well within the system, over achieve, and either pull off an upset or 2 in the playoffs or get eliminated by the stars in the 1st round. I'm surprised Dopita didn't work out there.

Reichel was worth the shot in toronto because he was a top line center for a playoff team at one time, but he hasn't been committed to staying in the NHL.

Did anyone else notice the lame-o 3 stars for the night?

#3 - Giugere(or however its spelled) - He left in 1 more goal in only a few more shots and lost the game yet he played better than Broduer? I thought both goalies played well and both stopped many quality shots, so shouldn't the winning goalie get the star?

Yeah, he let in more goals, but I'm sure the sports writers who voted also noted:

1) "G" stopped a short handed goal attempt and made some great saves before melting down and finally giving up that juicy GW reboud to Langy.

2) That first goal by Brodeur was horrible. Likely over thinking the play and got caught. Whether Daneyko helped it with a partial screen is a judgement call. It was a weak.

3) Brodeur was beaten on the SH goal. Wasn't out dekked on it, just beaten.

In the end, Brodeur played strong enough else wise to back stop us to yet another win, and WINNING is what counts. :clap:

The SH goal was actually deflected by Rafalaski. On the first goal the guy made a great fake drop pass which Broduer bought because of the screen and then he put a perfect shot just inside the post. I didn't feel either of those goals were that bad. Certainly no better or worse than the Devils first 2 goals.

-Scott

A WIN is a win is a win !!! Any WIN is good !!!

So Devils Won which is good!!!

However it wasn't a very well played game, anything but for the Devils.

Again defensive breakdowns caused 1st goal against, Dano screens and Marty Bobbles.

Devils offense, how bad was it, 2nd period for the first 10 minutes it was as if the Ducks weren't on the ice but the Devils couldn't put the puck in the net. Terrible offense, I think they spend too much time practicing defense. Burns mixed up everyone which in the long run will have a negative effect on the offense and players, if he continues to do that. It doesn't build timing together nor confidence in players.

PP was awful, 4 PP's -- 3 shots on goal and they gave up a shorthanded goal on another defensive breakdown, Nieder give away.

They can't keep playing this way and be in the playoffs very long. I know it's early but the indications that things will turn around offensively are very poor. I can't agree with the statements of other "give them time." If one can't see how weak in offensive talent they are, they must be watching another team.

A WIN is a win,. but this one was not very pretty.