NHL and NHLPA talking about talking

Rock

NHL and NHLPA talking about talking

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=102914&hubName=nhl

CP/TSN.ca

10/27/2004

The two sides in the NHL labour dispute are talking about talking again.

It's the first sign of any progress since the NHL locked out the players on September 16.

NHL's executive vice-president and chief legal officer Bill Daly reportedly met with NHL Players' Association senior director Ted Saskin for two hours in New York on Tuesday on other matters, but there is hope that substantial Collective Bargaining talks may follow in the near future.

In fact, Daly and Saskin spoke again by phone after the face-to-face meeting, suggesting that there might be some light at the end of the tunnel.

However, TSN Hockey Analyst Bob McKenzie noted that there is a big difference between talking and negotiating. He also said that neither side appears to have budged from its stance regarding the lockout and possible solutions.

The NHL and NHLPA haven't had a formal collective bargaining session since Sept. 9 in Toronto when the league officially rejected the union's luxury-tax based proposal.

TSN Hockey Analyst Glenn Healy said that NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow has been fielding calls from a number of players who want him to start negotiations. "Kreskin is not part of this negotiating committee, " Healy said. "So unless there is some sort of cummunication, no deal will be done. The fact that they are compromising just to talk is a good thing."

Healy stressed that the players are not asking the union leaders to capitulate, but simply to start talking.

The union will have a meeting of its own next Tuesday, deciding bring in player reps from all 30 NHL teams to Toronto to update them on the labour dispute.

Two more TSN Hockey Analysts, Pierre McGuire and Brian Burke, said the players might as well stay home if they are not prepared to discuss tying revenues to salaries.

Players are given daily updates through their NHLPA secure website but this will be a chance for 30 team reps to hear directly from Goodenow and then relay the latest to their teammates. The third of 13 paycheques for players goes by the wayside Nov. 1.

The NHLPA's executive committee will also be at Tuesday's meeting, president Trevor Linden, and vice-presidents Bob Boughner, Vincent Damphousse, Daniel Alfredsson, Bill Guerin, Trent Klatt and Arturs Irbe.

Only 2 paycheques missed so far. I don't expect there to be any movement on the players side just yet.

They still seem overwhelmingly united. There are slim cracks forming, but they cover them up real quick. And most players (Brodeur, Pronger) seem to be singing the party line of "we gave concessions and that should have been good enough".

Remember fans: Apathy heals all wounds.

The more we sit on our hands and let these pricks know we're not going to fuel the fire for either side, the quicker this thing gets resolved. Because all of those media predictions about "losing all your fans" will be playing on their minds (even though we're not going anywhere.)

<JESTER>

Remember fans: Apathy heals all wounds.

The more we sit on our hands and let these pricks know we're not going to fuel the fire for either side, the quicker this thing gets resolved. Because all of those media predictions about "losing all your fans" will be playing on their minds (even though we're not going anywhere.)

<JESTER>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds exhausting, Jester.

In reality, sitting on your hands is the best way to not get the things you want. If fans were smart enough or motivated enough, we'd use our power to make real change. We shouldn't come back to the arenas until they're down to 24 competitive teams, and $10-$20 ticket prices.

"NHL and NHLPA talking about talking"

That sounds like a girl who's been dating a guy for 6 years and she wants to bring up marriage and he saids well... lets just talk about talking about it... :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So the owners now need to get the players a promise CBA, before the engagement CBA offer, leading to a ceremony where the CBA will be forever joining the two?

-Scott

so I guess next week the NHL asks out the NHLPA on a date but only because they heard through passing notes between baseball and the MLBPA that the NHLPA kinda sorta like the NHL... but only for it's money :D

*yawn*

Is it sad that I just don't care anymore? They don't give a rat's ass about us...so what's the point? The NHL is a joke now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do mean? The players or the NHL itself?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everything. Everyone comes out a loser, but at the end of the day it's us, the fans, who get hit hardest. It's not fair, and aside from the occassional player who will step up and say something, they don't care.

*yawn*

Is it sad that I just don't care anymore? They don't give a rat's ass about us...so what's the point? The NHL is a joke now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think she means the league as a whole. It's a disgrace and I agree with RD. I no longer care what they do.

Honestly, I don't care any more. I am just as happy following the AHL. I wish there were more games on TV but I can deal with that. Even if the NHL came back tomorrow I would not go back. If anything, I would be upset if the NHL came back now since there are so many players in the AHL who would go right to the NHL and decrease the level of play.

*yawn*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think she means the league as a whole. It's a disgrace and I agree with RD. I no longer care what they do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly.

Oh please, both of you have a combined, what, 15,000 posts on this board? You'll be back when the NHL is back.

The players refuse to budge, but they will be the first to move. Goodenow simply refuses to be the first to acquiesce. As Commodore says, he'd like to be drawing an NHL salary and can't afford to miss out on it. The leaders of the NHLPA are all on long-term contracts and are nearing the end of their careers.

"being back" is a relative term.. is "being back" watching the games on TV and making insane website about them... all of which while wonderful... if you're not buying tickets,jerseys,hats,McFarlaine figures... ain't making the NHL a DIME... if you vow to "come back" but not spend the money cause you're pissed off... then in the NHL's eyes ARE you back ??

I fully admit I'll get my weekend tix when I come back unless something totally amazing and life changing happens to me in Albany

(also how many of their 15,000 posts, are just of the attention-whore, post-padding type ?? :evil:...or on non-hockey topics ???... Just a thought)

"being back" is a relative term.. is "being back" watching the games on TV and making insane website about them... all of which while wonderful... if you're not buying tickets,jerseys,hats,McFarlaine figures... ain't making the NHL a DIME... if you vow to "come back" but not spend the money cause you're pissed off... then in the NHL's eyes ARE you back ??

I fully admit I'll get my weekend tix when I come back unless something totally amazing and life changing happens to me in Albany

(also how many of their 15,000 posts, are just of the attention-whore, post-padding type ?? :evil:...or on non-hockey topics ???... Just a thought)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Err...I take offense to that! :rant:

In all seriousness, I completely agree with what CRASHER says. Just because I watch the games or still post on a message board doesn't mean I am necessarily "back". The league is losing a big part of the fan's love for the sport. Sure many will still watch the games, but you lose a lot of respect from the fan itself. You also lose a lot of that love for the players, the teams, the game itself. That's where I'm coming from, Tri. Maybe we have different definitions of "being back", but don't hold that against me.