Devs ousted in 6...

aylbert

I'm actually not as big a fan of joe thornton as other players. I simply defend him a lot. I don't think i've talked about markus naslund on this board, but i probably praise him as much if not more than thornton.

Thornton's not even my favorite bruins *sigh* i guess its just my rep...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately Joe Thorton. I would trade all three Cups for him. I mean you never know when you are going to get into a bar fight and Thorton's experience in that is unrivaled.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe i should ask brodeur how to have an affair with an inlaw?

Definately Joe Thorton. I would trade all three Cups for him. I mean you never know when you are going to get into a bar fight and Thorton's experience in that is unrivaled.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yah, but Brodeur has real skill, he can have an affair AND win a Cup! B )

Did you guys really expect to keep up? We had bobby orr, gerry cheevers, espo, sanderson, hodge, cashman, smith, and a ridiculous amount of weapons.

We'll take more Cups, so it's fine either way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

5>3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thing is, the Devils have 3 Stanley Cups in less then ten years time and have only been in the NHL since 1982. The core of the team is still very much intact just a year removed from winning it all in 2003 and Martin Brodeur still has plenty of great seasons left in him allowing him to rack up more career wins, shutouts, best in class awards, former Patrick Roy career records etc...

The Bruins on the other hand have been playing since 1924 and they had the luxury of playing in the original six as opposed to the modern day NHL where over half the teams qualify for the postseason. They really should have a lot more cups to show for their runs then 5 considering how long they've been in the league and what kind of talent they've had over the years. '88 and '90 for sure could have easily been two more if it weren't for guys like Ranford and Klima. They haven't even been close in 14 years since though. Thats a long, long drought. Harry Sinden is kind of like the dung beetle that survives a nuclear meltdown. Pretty much nothing can get him fired as his job security has to be as guaranteed as there is in the league. Other team owners likely wouldn't have had the same patience Jeremy Jacobs had with Harry through all the lean years following their last win 32 years ago. We're talking 3 cups in 22 years for NJ (averaging one every 7.3 years) and 5 cups in 80 years for Boston in the grand scheme of things. (averaging one every 16 years)

Edited by Guest

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yah, but Brodeur has real skill, he can have an affair AND win a Cup! B )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that's all that matters in life. Affairs and winning the Stanley Cup.

....did I really just say that?! :wacko:

Did you guys really expect to keep up? We had bobby orr, gerry cheevers, espo, sanderson, hodge, cashman, smith, and a ridiculous amount of weapons.

We'll take more Cups, so it's fine either way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

5>3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thing is, the Devils have 3 Stanley Cups in less then ten years time and have only been in the NHL since 1982. The core of the team is still very much intact just a year removed from winning it all in 2003 and Martin Brodeur still has plenty of great seasons left in him allowing him to rack up more career wins, shutouts, best in class awards, former Patrick Roy career records etc...

The Bruins on the other hand have been playing since 1924 and they had the luxury of playing in the original six as opposed to the modern day NHL where over half the teams qualify for the postseason. They really should have a lot more cups to show for their runs then 5 considering how long they've been in the league and what kind of talent they've had over the years. '88 and '90 for sure could have easily been two more if it weren't for guys like Ranford and Klima. They haven't even been close in 14 years since though. Thats a long, long drought. Harry Sinden is kind of like the dung beetle that survives a nuclear meltdown. Pretty much nothing can get him fired as his job security has to be as guaranteed as there is in the league. Other team owners likely wouldn't have had the same patience Jeremy Jacobs had with Harry through all the lean years following their last win 32 years ago. We're talking 3 cups in 22 years for NJ (averaging one every 7.3 years) and 5 cups in 80 years for Boston in the grand scheme of things. (averaging one every 16 years)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't think i know that?

Boston is infamous for two things to me.

1. screwing up perfect chances :doh1:

2. not spending when you should. :doh1:

But nonetheless more cups :evil:

Thorton gets in bar fights and whines about how he might retire because his greatness causes other players to cheat too much.  So we're still tied at 2 a piece.

-Scott

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who's Thorton?

And if you mean Thornton? His greatness? he never said that. He said he was sick of obstruction and stuff and its not like bertuzzi, fleury, lemieux, and floppa have never done that.

How about during your lifetime there Bruindude? How many times have you had that exhilerating feeling of jumping up and down and celebrating as your hockey team are carrying around the cherished silver chalice?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1996 i was an avs, panthers and bruins fan. Around 97/98 i started to meet some avs fans and i just stopped liking them. I've been a bruins fan my whole life. Thrashers came in last year and canucks and flyers i still somewhat like from 2 years ago. I like teams based on their players not i live.

I remember Bruins' praising Beliveau (and he obviously deserves recognition for being one of the greatest leaders in the sport) for having 10 Cups, so I'm guessing that he thinks it's still possible for a team to capture 10 in 15 years and thus thinks that most of the old teams were amazing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The bruins of this game weren't from the 6 team league. And the bruins of the original 6 actually sucked a great deal outside of our runs with eddie shore, dit clapper, kraut line, and dynamite line. Before bobby orr came in we were the beating bags of the league for a solid 10 years.

I don't think is possible for a team to capture 10 cups in 15 years anymore, not with the way the league works. But the habs of old were amazing and i don't think there's any doubting their dominance.

Thorton gets in bar fights and whines about how he might retire because his greatness causes other players to cheat too much.  So we're still tied at 2 a piece.

-Scott

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who's Thorton?

And if you mean Thornton? His greatness? he never said that. He said he was sick of obstruction and stuff and its not like bertuzzi, fleury, lemieux, and floppa have never done that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

all good caracter guys :doh1:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Regardless, you shouldn't single out thornton. Also you must add that thornton is liked very much by his teammates. Ask anybody in that lockerroom and they will tell you how much they respect thornton and how they all think thornton is the best player in the league. So despite his comments, which i support except for the retirement thing, he is obviously a great lockeroom guy.

FYI fleury actually said he wouldn't come back to the NHL even if he was cleared.

Edited by bruins4777

marty had an affair? that reallly ruins his reputation ffrom my eyes. he aint my fav devil anymore. stevens is my fav dev now

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brodeur got caught, that is the difference. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the NHL players had affairs. You know, the whole "Woman in every city" thing.

EDIT: :rant:

Edited by sammyk

I guess it's pretty easy for your team to win when you choose half the league to be your #1 team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

? :blink: I'm not really an avs fan anymore. I tend to be more of a fan of underdog teams. I liked boston cause of bourque. Florida cause they were a nice underdog team with the beezer and jovocop. I liked the canucks cause of jovo, nazzy, and bert, but they were never really my favorite team and i followed them a decent amount in 2002-2004, but i'm not a huge fan anymore. Same story with the flyers. The Bruins always have been my no.1 team. The panthers and thrashers have been my 2nd and 3rd teams. Since vokoun became the starter for the preds mid 2002-2003 season i've liked them a great deal. But the only teams i'm really serious about are the bruins, thrashers, panthers, and predators.

These sim things are pointless. The 2000 devils would smash the living hell out of the Bruins. Plyers are in better shape now a days, are faster, are better coached, have better defense, have better goaltending, are bigger. Bobby Orr would not dance around the devils team. We also had Claude Lemieux to take his knees out. Hell even Daneyko would score on cheevers with those pads.

These sim things are pointless. The 2000 devils would smash the living hell out of the Bruins. Plyers are in better shape now a days, are faster, are better coached, have better defense, have better goaltending, are bigger. Bobby Orr would not dance around the devils team. We also had Claude Lemieux to take his knees out. Hell even Daneyko would score on cheevers with those pads.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

May i remind you that the 70's was a defensive era of hockey. The bruins were one of the few teams that broke the league wide open. Although it was still relatively defensive, until gretz came along and ripped it to pieces after orr, lafleur, espo, and co banged it a decent amount.

Also bobby orr set a record with 139 points for a defensemen in the 70's something that coffey, who barely even played defense as opposed to orr's rock solid defense, couldn't even top in an 80's offensive era.

Also Cheevers played in the era of curved sticks and still managed to bring up clutch saves after clutch saves.

Its hard to compare era's no doubt, but do you really think orr's effect would have really been minimalized by the devils? Its not like orr himself couldn't hit back. We have plenty of guys who could take it right back at you devils.

This has nothing to do with the NHL being against us. I think nobody besides Devils fans thought that 2000 team was that special.

We lost in six and that is not wrong really.

I am sure you guys would have expected to beat 80% the Stanley Cup winners with that team if your upset we lost to an amazing team like the 72 Bruins.

Edited by devilsrule33

Well 'I' don't have a problem with the Devils losing to the Bruins 4-2 perse. I DO think some of the scores were really unrealistic though. I mean 12-0 in the first two games? 16-1 in the three road games overall? The Bruins might be better but they sure as hell weren't 'that' much better. And this is a Devils team that went 10-2 on the road in the playoffs right? (checking my sig...yep I'm right :))

It's very difficult to compare teams from two different eras. Many things were different back then compared to now. Scoring being one of them and probably more skating and less D. Skill level also changed. More Euros today and more holding onto the puck to make a play than just guys flying down the wing and blasting one. Goalie equipment now is bigger and defenses are tougher.

And most notably, aside from equipment, how about the fact no players wore helmets except in net?

You didn't see the sticks coming up like they do now.

I still wonder though about this. Everyone thinks of Orr with those Bruin teams. But what about the unbelievable scoring prowess of an Esposito, Bucyk, Hodge and Cashman?

How to contain that? Plus Orr who is arguably the best player to ever lace'em up.

So, what era are these two teams competing in as well? Today's rules or yesterday's? How would an Elias or Sykora fit in and vice versa for the B's stars today?

You just don't know.