Gice Someone Else A Shot

vadvlfan

Bergland hasnt done anything during this stint in NJ. In lieu of his benching the other night, maybe we should try Hulbig or Roche for a look with the big club. They might surprise when given a challenge.

Vince

Hulbig and Roche?

Both of these guys have been with 2 other NHL franchises and not made it. Both of the teams were bad at the time too, if I recall. They are AHLers first.

There's no reason to give NHL ice to them.

I wasn't impressed by Berglund either, but when you put a young player on a 4th line, it generally doesn't work out.

Once this Danton crap blows over and the Devils get some lines sorted out, I suspect Berglund will play better.

Nobody's saying that at all :P . The way some of you touted him, you'd think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

He's proven very little. Is the little used 4th line where you want a kid with his potential to develop?

It's a similar situation to the one with Jamie Lundmark and the Rangers.

They sent him down because he wasn't scoring and thought he'd be better off getting more minutes in Hartford to regain his scoring touch. It's worked. He was 6-5-11 in 11 games heading into today's contest.

Do I think he belongs in the AHL? No. But if the team insists on using a player of his talent sparingly, I'd rather him be there.

It's the same thing with Berglund. He doesn't belong on a 4th line.

There aren't too many 'NHL caliber' players in Albany. Ideally, guys like Pandolfo, Darby, Jimmy Mac, and Guolla (when he gets healthy) should be on a 4th line that gets 7-9 minutes of ice time a night. Berglund should get regular shifts on one of the top 3 lines. If they can't guarantee that, then maybe he should get sent back down to play regularly.

But to start bashing him is ridiculous.

[berglund] doesn't belong on a 4th line.

I agree with this. Those who are upset with his production, check out his linemates. And even so, he had a terrific game (or so I thought) against St. Louis -- I remember one particular play where Brylin fed him in front of the net and he made a deflection that forced Brathwaite to make a great stacked-pads save.

If he's getting chances with Brylin and McKenzie as his linemates, then I think that proves he could produce on a higher line.

I want a deal like Danton-for-Harvey to take place, so that Berglund can be sent back down to Albany and gain more confidence in his playing abilities and to continue to work on his DEFENSE. He should then be called up for a decent amount of games to rest someone who isn't on the 4th line -- maybe insert him on the third line for a game and bump Pando down to the 4th for that one game.