Some Holiday Cheer From Everson

Rock

LOU MUST DEAL NOW

By MARK (N)Єverson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/51724.htm

December 16, 2002 --

THE coach can never rest easy when he works for the GM who never sleeps.

Elsewhere, Pat Burns would be knighted for a 16-8-1-3 record. To remain humble, however, he needs only recall that his predecessor Kevin Constantine fashioned a 20-8-1-2 regular season mark before Lou Lamoriello replaced him after losing the final two games of the playoffs.

While the Shorn Lip has piled up points despite his team's scoring follies and its woeful power play, there is one aspect of Burns' set-up that bears watching.

His reliance on stingy play could create a schism on the team: The defensemen and goalie on one side, the Devils' marvelous goals-against a testament to their prowess, the forwards struggling to launch an attack from defense-first deep in their own zone on the other. Heroes and Villains. Care is required.

There are plenty of concerns inside the Devils' locker room. Among them:

If Elias and Newy start scoring, every one of these article will go away.

And we wil start playing better than .500 hockey.

It is remarkable that we've done so well with such poor forward play out of our top 2 lines.

While his rumors may be total bs, and he uses the word "solid" to enhance his own rumor, (N)Єverson's pp analysis is correct, however pointless this article is.

At what point do we, the fans, get REAL pissed at the total lack of production from Elias and Nieuwendyk?

And I'm not talking ASSISTS, I'm talking GOALS - these guys are supposed to be our finishers.

I don't see me getting pissed about this for some time.

I see them working very hard. Elias might have been the best player on the ice for us the other day.

As long as it goes in the net, and it's because of the hustle that he showed in getting the puck to the front to Brylin or Gionta or whoever, I'm gonna be pretty happy.

Elias' game is changing by necessity. With the A-Line he was a finisher. But unless he's with Nieuwy, I see him as more of a playmaker now. And that's fine, I've seen some real nice goals of late.

But then again, I think we're gonna see some goals from him soon. It's not just chances right now. It's almost like willing the puck. Burns said it best "it was following him everywhere." That's such a good sign -- that's what happened with Iginla last year and he got major-league dividends from it.

Nieuwy... well, I am a bit concerned there. I'd sure like to see him get one to just get him settled and able to play his game again.

Elias Nieuwendyk Gomez

Brylin Madden Langenbrunner

Friesen Berglund Gionta

Pandolfo/Bicek Stevenson McKenzie

Stevenson did play center a little when he had to in Montreal. Berglund is a natural center (at least he was in Sweden). If necessary we could always call up Darby or Rupp for our fourth line. I personally don't think our fourth line center position makes or breaks the team tho.

Well like Neverson said, Holiday Trade Freeze starts on Thrusday and last till next friday SO if we wait till the Dallas game to trade ppl, we would be waiting till the 27th or 28th to make a deal.

I have to say, if there will be a deal it will no doubt happen before the Holiday Freeze. If no deal then, there won't be one till late January at the earliest and at the deadline in March.

That's my little theory.

It's actually a decent article by (N)Єverson. His points were right on the money about the Devils' problems. You don't stick checking line players on your power play with 25-30 seconds left. That takes away from your most talented players and in the process their confidence can dwindle.

As for a trade, Colorado would be crazy to part with Hejduk.

I think Lamoriello will wait before he makes a deal.