Devils make Qualifyin Offers

CMONPETEYD

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He almost has to spend right up to the cap. "Cheap" Lou had our total salaries at nearly $48mm pre-lockout. He can "splurge" and still save $9 million bucks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know...how weird is that. :evil:

BTW, with the qualifying offers, can they be pulled off the table after a certain amount of time??? Or even not after a certain amount of time, just if a club changes their mind??? Because lets say that Lou winds up, by some miracle, signing Nieds for somewhere around $7 million. That pretty much takes NJ right up to the cap, unless Madden was right and his capped salary is less than what people are reporting (plus, since team bonuses disappeared under the new CBA, maybe Lou has more to work with than people think, but who knows). Could he pull a few of the unsigned qualifiers off the table to sign other players???

:blink:
Why are we retaining Kozlov? Yeech.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn good question RD. When I heard that Hrdina was the only guy we didn't qualify, my first reaction was: WE QUALIFIED KOZLOV???????!!!!! I thought it was a mistake. I wish it was. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you want freeze but not Kozlov?? :puke:

:noclue: Please explain that logic :noclue:

Kozlov

I agree.. but Arnot was really good when he was on.. so being

Yes and no.

Kozlov is expected to play big and score goals. His consistency has always been in question. As good as Arnott could be, most were happy to see him go, mainly because of his consistency, or lack there of. If I remember correctly, Arnott and Kozlov are paid about the same as Devils.

For the $$ we are paying him instead of signing, say Rafalski... well let's just say he's got 30 days into the season to turn it on or this board and the CAA fans are going to roast him.

Kozlov < Jason Arnott

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.. but Arnot was really good when he was on.. so being < Jadson is not neccessarily a bad thing is it???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes and no.

Kozlov is expected to play big and score goals. His consistency has always been in question. As good as Arnott could be, most were happy to see him go, mainly because of his consistency, or lack there of. If I remember correctly, Arnott and Kozlov are paid about the same as Devils.

For the $$ we are paying him instead of signing, say Rafalski... well let's just say he's got 30 days into the season to turn it on or this board and the CAA fans are going to roast him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in lve w/ Kov, but few things,

what are the devs paying him, have no idea,

Is he any different than freeze?? the Freezer's money could have been used for rafi too???

According to LL's quote he played really well in Russia...and he's 1 year off a 55pt season in Fla... not exactly a great place to play.

Kozlov

I agree.. but Arnot was really good when he was on.. so being

Yes and no.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in lve w/ Kov, but few things,

what are the devs paying him, have no idea,

Is he any different than freeze?? the Freezer's money could have been used for rafi too???

According to LL's quote he played really well in Russia...and he's 1 year off a 55pt season in Fla... not exactly a great place to play.

Kozlov is going to make like $1.7 this year. If he stays in Russia, we still hold his rights.

I still say the biggest surprise is not keepong Hrdina... he's a Devil's kind of player... but I guess they are completely confident in Parise.

Who would you rather have in place of Kozlov and Friesen, red? Want Oliwa and Landgon in the lineup every night? Hrdina? Rasmussen? These guys aren't goal scorers. At least with Friesen and, hell, Kozlov, we have guys who CAN score goals -- whether they're consistant or not of course is of question, but at least they are CAPABLE of scoring, while the others really aren't. We simply don't have the money to go out and get goalscorers (we might not even have enough money to retain who we have with Stevens/Rafalski/Niedermayer), so we have to make do with what we have. I'm not jumping for joy over these guys, but it's a helluva lot better than what we could be faced with.

Oh after I loggedoff last night i got to thinking re: Brown... maybe we swap him for Rheaume with the Rats? I was thinking he's serving basically as a place holder :noclue: I think he fits into the whole AHL/NHL connection some how though. i dotn know all the rules so I don't know - but he can be lost on waivers and it's no big trauma.

Oh after I loggedoff last night i got to thinking re: Brown...  maybe we swap him for Rheaume with the Rats?  I was thinking he's serving basically as a place holder :noclue:  I think he fits into the whole AHL/NHL connection some how though.  i dotn know all the rules so I don't know - but he can be lost on waivers and it's no big trauma.

I hope you are right.

Rheaume was a good boy (played for AHL while the strike went on) so Lou will likley reward him by playing him as our 4th line center, maybe alternating him with Rass at 4th line c/wing.

Who would you rather have in place of Kozlov and Friesen, red? Want Oliwa and Landgon in the lineup every night? Hrdina? Rasmussen? These guys aren't goal scorers. At least with Friesen and, hell, Kozlov, we have guys who CAN score goals -- whether they're consistant or not of course is of question, but at least they are CAPABLE of scoring, while the others really aren't. We simply don't have the money to go out and get goalscorers (we might not even have enough money to retain who we have with Stevens/Rafalski/Niedermayer), so we have to make do with what we have. I'm not jumping for joy over these guys, but it's a helluva lot better than what we could be faced with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I have said I'm actually for keeping Koz, not sure ehy you think otherwise... I cannot understand those who want Freeze but not Koz.

And you are right Devs donot have alot of goalscorers, never have...and if elias is out for and extended time we are in loads of trouble...

And no I would not put langdon and Oliwa in the lineup every night... I give some rats a legic shot... and not just Parise... Sugblov or what ever his name is and maybe others...

IMHO this is the new NHL, pay your stars and fil the bottom of the roster w/ AHLers, not going to be easy to roll 4 lines going fwrd...

Edited by redruM

I didn't understand the point of having both Oliwa & Langdon on the roster. One would have been fine. I'd have kept Oliwa and bought out Langdon. But I guess Lou didn't want to waste a single $.

I still just wonder if you can pull a qualifier off the table under the new CBA and if you can, how much time has to have passed after you made it before you can pull it? That may matter because we've only heard that Friesen has signed his qualifier, nobody else so far. If Nieds actually signs and they get up near the cap Lou may have to make some choices and pull a few of the offers off the table in order to get other things done (like Kozlov may have to come off the table). How can I find this out?

I know -- I was wondering I'm sure teams will find themselves over the cap... What's the story with releasing guys to get under it? I can't imagine the players didnt' safeguard themselves for this sort of thing.

It just feels funny all these teams so close to the cap with so many more signings to go... it feels like something is fishy... <_< like we arent seeing the whole picture or something.

I know -- I was wondering I'm sure teams will find themselves over the cap... What's the story with releasing guys to get under it?  I can't imagine the players didnt' safeguard themselves for this sort of thing. 

It just feels funny all these teams so close to the cap with so many more signings to go... it feels like something is fishy...  <_<  like we arent seeing the whole picture or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I checked the "Important Dates" for the CBA and it turns out Qualifying offers expire automaitcally on August 15th. But I don't know if that means you still own the players' rights after that but you aren't obligated to pay him what you offered him, or what. No idea. Meanwhile, players who didn't like their qualifiers can file for arbitration on the 10th, and CLUBS can file for arbitration on the 11th, if they didn't like what they had to qualify a player for. I wonder whether any clubs will actually do that this year.

If you release a guy who has a signed contract then it counts against your cap. I don't know what happens if the guy refuses to sign a qualifier, though (and doesn't go to arbitration). If they just decide to hold out, I mean. Not a clue. Anyone?? Anyone?? Bueller??? Bueller???

With a lineup that sports the prolific goal scorers of Pando, Oliwa, Rass, Marshall and Langdon why is everyone so down on Kozlov? True, he didn't play great in his brief stint here but he remains an offensively gifted player, something we are in sore need of unless we plan on winning evry game 1-0 (and half of those in a shootout!). And this is without Nieds and/or Rafi??? Am I the only one who thinks this team will have trouble scoring and like this signing? Outside of career years by our guys up front and (gasp) Freeze waking up and Parise playing like a 5 year vet I see trouble putting the puck in the net, and that is something Kozlov can do. I hope he returns instead of staying in Russia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kozlov's knock both in San Jose and Florida was that he didn't use his size. The guy has all the talent in the world- but he has to use the size God gave him. He's useless if he's going to sit out on the perimeter and not go to the net and not hit anyone and not win physical battles. He'd be worth his wait in gold if he would do those things. But this is the way he's been his entire career- what makes anyone think he's going to change now?

Sounds a lot like Arnott. But I think Kozlov has much more talent and I think someone like Burns would have got him to play physical. But I think Larry can get the most out of him offensively. I can see him potentially scoring 25-30 goals playing with Parise or Gomez.

He is a lot like Arnott. But more a playmaker than goalscorer. Ask Pavel Bure how he won one of his Rocket Richards back in '00. Kozlov was healthy that season and had a great year. That was his best. He's never matched it.

I think Arnott's tougher in the corners. Kozlov is more finesse. He has skill but it's harnessing it.

Speaking of Bure he had a whole year to rehab.  Is he available?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The news on him is not good Manta. Apparently, he will be limping around the rest of his life. Sadly, one of the game's great talents who would have flourished in this new era NHL will never play hockey ever again.

Consider him retired.