Devs offer Niedermayer 6.8/m

Rock

If my calulations are correct, if we sign him for that price our payroll will be at $34,312,000.00 leaving just under 5 million to sign Stevens and Rafalski. Lets hope for the best.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is, if everyone accept their qualifying offers (don't think martin and gionta will)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tru dat. Is there any date that people have to accept/deny qualifying offers by?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, they have to accept them by the 15th or all bets are off. But players have until the 10th to file for arbitration if they are eligible for it, and the teams can file by the 11th (remember, they can file to REDUCE a player's contract now). Other wise, they can choose to haggle it out at the bargaining table.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Don on this one. With the Cap in effect, signing him would be more hurtful to the teams overall success in the coming years. Nieds is a great player, but keeping him would take money away from keeping other players.

^Thanks Sue!

I must say that after reading Don's post about not pouring a lot of money into one player, it makes a lot of sense. If the Devils get Niedermayer for 6.8 mil I will still be happy but if they don't I hope they could get Stevens, Rafalski, and another good D to fill in. Imagine a D of Stevens, Rafalski, Matvichuk, Hale, Martin, White and someone like Bombadir or something.

DAMNIT PEOPLE IT'S NIEDERMAYER!!! :soap:

:whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're deliberately misspelling it because they think he's asking for too much $$$ and taking too long to make up his mind. :evil:

Or not.

Give me Rafalski, Stevens and, oh I dunno, Brad Bombadir. I don't care. I just give me 6 good D and let someone else overpay on great D.

i'd rather have Neidermayer, Stevens, and Hale than your 3.

Are you suggesting that the salaries for Niedermayer+Stevens+Hale = salaries for Rafalski+Stevens+Bomber?

And I'm thinking someone is forgetting how well Hale played last season (that they played) with the Devils.

Edited by Don

^Thanks Sue!

Imagine a D of Stevens, Rafalski, Matvichuk, Hale, Martin, White and someone like Bombadir or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Imagine a d of

Steven

Martin

Matvichuk

white

hale

Brown...

I'll take Neids at 7 mil in a NY Minute and twice on Sunday

Red, I am not suggesting not going after Nieds, because I really want him. However, if he goes away for 6.8+ million, than I will also be happy because it will give Lou a chance to add more depth to the D. It is the concept of 3 above average D>1 supergreat D. Either way I think the Devils will end up in a good situation.

Give me Rafalski, Stevens and, oh I dunno, Brad Bombadir. I don't care. I just give me 6 good D and let someone else overpay on great D.

i'd rather have Neidermayer, Stevens, and Hale than your 3.

Are you suggesting that the salaries for Niedermayer+Stevens+Hale = salaries for Rafalski+Stevens+Bomber?

And I'm thinking someone is forgetting how well Hale played last season (that they played) with the Devils.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i would say that total salary is within $1 million. and i can't tell if you're saying that Hale was good or not in 03-04. personally, i don't think he was that great, but would be fine as a #6 defenseman.

^Thanks Sue!

Imagine a D of Stevens, Rafalski, Matvichuk, Hale, Martin, White and someone like Bombadir or something.

Imagine a d of

Steven

Martin

Matvichuk

white

hale

Brown...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt we can fit Niedermayer at $7M and Stevens in under the cap. But let's say you are right.

Niedermayer-White

Stevens-Martin

Matvichuk-Hale/Brown

vs

Stevens-Rafalski

White-Martin

Matvichuk-Bomber

The trick to this cap thingy is to get the biggest bang for your buck. And that is not Niedermayer at $7M/year.

Imagine a d of

Niedermayer

Martin

Matvichuk

white

hale

Brown...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

because that's all you're getting.

I thinkit's very sweet how you all think Stevens is coming back ... he's not though... not if nieds is signed. Are we all clear on this? Pick your sentimentality folks. In the end I thinkit's over paying but I do thinkit makes sense to take Nieds - it's a known quantity.

The $6.8 million is a little high for me especially considering Iginla and Naslund re-signed for just over it and all the defensemen that signed are making a bunch under that. But at least nobody can say Lou didn't put his best foot forward on this one.

And Don I think the question is would you rather have Nieds at $6.8 than Raf at say $4 and someone else that's like a third or fourth D at $3? I dunno. Maybe it depends on how many years Nieds gets, if he gets three or five.

I suggested it in another thread and I'll say it here. I think a Niedermayer+ Rafalski+ Hale grouping looks better than either of those 2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey fvck I responded to your suggestion and you didnt' seem to grasp that or just chose to ignore me so...

:evil:

nevermind

I'm a mite thin skinned - dont mind me :blush:

^Thanks Sue!

Imagine a d of

Steven

Martin

Matvichuk

white

hale

Brown...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt we can fit Niedermayer at $7M and Stevens in under the cap. But let's say you are right.

Niedermayer-White

Stevens-Martin

Matvichuk-Hale/Brown

vs

Stevens-Rafalski

White-Martin

Matvichuk-Bomber

The trick to this cap thingy is to get the biggest bang for your buck. And that is not Niedermayer at $7M/year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll take the first group and hope Hale improvee as the year goes on...

White And Neids have become 1 of the top duos in the league, and Martin can learn alot playing w Stevens

If no Stevens, then we have issues, but I'm taking Neids nomatter what it does to the Stevens status.

Honestly, I think Niedermayer at 6.8 is a better bargain that Rafalski at 4. I appreciate what Brian has done here but to me he is worth no more than 2.5 million to us considering that we have Paul Martin coming up right behind him. Madde3n claims that his actual cap hit will be 2.4 million and I consider Raffy to be at the same level.

The tough question to me is if the Devils still have say $3-4 million of cap room if they sign Nieds, do you try to get Raf with whatever you have left and let Stevens go and fill up the rest of the cap? You only really need to sign one more player and with giving Nieds as much as he has you're pretty much anoiting him Stevens' successor. Plus the Devils have more stay-at-home D than puck-moving D. It would be a nice problem to have, but tough if Scotty finished out his career somewhere else.