Devils Sign McGillis, Malakhov, Rafalski

HellOnICE

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, what's the new CBA say about RFA compensation?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe we'd have to give up a pick or two- 2nd or 3rd rounder I think. They relaxed the compensation rules on RFA's because the PA wanted more action on the RFA's. It's not nearly as restrictive as it used to be.

The Devils had to go elsewhere to shore up their defence and did so by re-signing unrestricted free agent Brian Ralalski to an $8.4 million, two-year deal-as well as getting veteran blue-liners Dan McGillis and Vladimir Malakhov under contract. Malakhov signed a $7.2 million, two year deal.
"We couldn't just sit there and brood over it," Lamoriello said. "We made a substantial offer (to Niedermayer) and did tie up a considerable amount of money, but then had another plan should that not work out. And we feel extremely comfortable with our defence right now.

"In fact we're excited with what McGillis, Malakhov and Rafalski will bring."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sheesh, $3.6 million for Malakhov? For TWO YEARS? Come back to us Lou! When I heard about Malakhov I thought eh $1.5-2 million for one year, I could live with it.

I'm still happy Raf is back, I know people will hem and haw about the $4.2 million but he'll prove to you all he's not the mediocre player everyone makes him out to be.

The Devils had to go elsewhere to shore up their defence and did so by re-signing unrestricted free agent Brian Ralalski to an $8.4 million, two-year deal-as well as getting veteran blue-liners Dan McGillis and Vladimir Malakhov under contract. Malakhov signed a $7.2 million, two year deal.
"We couldn't just sit there and brood over it," Lamoriello said. "We made a substantial offer (to Niedermayer) and did tie up a considerable amount of money, but then had another plan should that not work out. And we feel extremely comfortable with our defence right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sheesh, $3.6 million for Malakhov? For TWO YEARS? Come back to us Lou! When I heard about Malakhov I thought eh $1.5-2 million for one year, I could live with it.

I'm still happy Raf is back, I know people will hem and haw about the $4.2 million but he'll prove to you all he's not the mediocre player everyone makes him out to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woah, woah- I don't think anyone on here is making Raffy out to be a mediocre player. Raffi is an all-star caliber d-man. Anyone who makes him out to be mediocre is just... not paying attention.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woah, woah- I don't think anyone on here is making Raffy out to be a mediocre player. Raffi is an all-star caliber d-man. Anyone who makes him out to be mediocre is just... not paying attention.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or a Philly fan. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heh, scroll through some threads this past season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right iggy. MadDog you weren't here last year, Raffy's been getting ROASTED, particularly given he struggled (as did a lot of Devils I might add) after Stevens got hurt. Ever since Nieds attained Norris level, Raffy's been the ugly little brother and Nieds has been the golden child to Devils fans - after years of Nieds getting roasted pre-Raf I might add. The fact that he was the best defenseman - INCLUDING Nieds - in the playoffs coming off a broken leg or whatever it was apparently escapes most people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right iggy. MadDog you weren't here last year, Raffy's been getting ROASTED, particularly given he struggled (as did a lot of Devils I might add) after Stevens got hurt. Ever since Nieds attained Norris level, Raffy's been the ugly little brother and Nieds has been the golden child to Devils fans - after years of Nieds getting roasted pre-Raf I might add. The fact that he was the best defenseman - INCLUDING Nieds - in the playoffs coming off a broken leg or whatever it was apparently escapes most people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rafalski was the 2nd best. martin was the best.

Malakhov is now in the devils page on the NHLPA listed at 3.6 per year. I don't think this is his actual salary though I think they just moved him from the Rangers page and left his previous salary. Sorry if this is old news, I only skimmed through the last 6 pages. BTW anybody find anything out about the length of these deals.

Malakhov is now in the devils page on the NHLPA listed at 3.6 per year.  I don't think this is his actual salary though I think they just moved him from the Rangers page and left his previous salary.  Sorry if this is old news, I only skimmed through the last 6 pages.  BTW anybody find anything out about the length of these deals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sporstnet.ca FA Tracker says McGillis/Malakhov both signed for two years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If that's the case, then people who are saying that just don't know hockey IMO. I've always appreciated Raffy, as any Devils fan should, regardless of how well Nieds played for us.