Free Agent/Trades Off-season 2005

NJDevs4978

Tri, Tri, Tri.  I never said Leetch was the worst, I just said he hasn't been very good since Beukeboom retired (about 10 years ago).  He is shaky, but adequate.  He should never be paired against an oppositions best line, because he will be toast. 

IF he is paired with Gill, he might have a decent year.

B's:

I would hardly call either Bruins top lines "great".  They are good.  Don't overrate Thorton.  If you pester him enough he will lose focus and become ineffective.

Zhamnov IF healthy is a decent second line player.  Paired with Samsonov would probably nullify each other as both are great passers but not finishers.

Your 3rd & 4th Line players should feel lucky they don't start in Providence.  They are mediocre and past their primes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

....yes by being pestered and becomening "ineffective" he was able to reach a 100 point season and a 70 point season and be the 2nd highest scorer in the NHL in the past 3 seasons in total....yes.

There are ways to lock down thornton, but he is more often a dominant player than "ineffective". And his 70 point some season, he gained huge improvements defensively, and it showed at the world cup.

Samsonov can finish when neccesary and bergeron can as well. tipping 30 goals in 2 straight seasons comes from being able to finish. He is a passer and SHOULD shoot more, but he certainlly has the ability to finish. and "nullify" or not, the ability to score is still there.

And my 3rd and 4th line players. Do you even know who brad boyes is? Or hilbert, wait take a step back, did you even read my post. They were jsut top 10 players in the AHL last year and only 23 or something round there. So there goes that argument. Fitzgerald is still a great leadership player any way you paint it and is an effective PK guy.

Mchchrean is past his prime? tell me how many times have you seen the guy play?

Axelsson past his prime...wow. I repeat the above question.

Scatchard? I don't know much about him. So i won't comment.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i see what you guys mean by past his prime. I never really looked at him lately as a scorer. I never felt that would be his value. I want him on the third line and killing penalties similar to how he did with atlanta when healthy.

Boyes, has improved drammatically and has been traded due to circumstance more than his own ability. He has improved his skating dramatically and he is not a pure scorer. He is a power play scorer but in general he is a set up man. I saw him a lot last year and i know a lot of bruins fans who have seen him as well due to the lockout and he has more than enough potential to make it. I see him as a 20-40-60 guy. Boyes' skating is at the point where he can do fine at the NHL level. He has been an all-star and a point per game guy at the AHL for a while now, he's more than ready for hte jump.

Hilbert is actually a beating boy among bruins fans. A lot of people are very pissed off about him and how he fails to deliver a lot and has lots of potential, but doesn't always show that extra hustle and consistency you'd like to see. I'm indifferent on him. But he more than showed last year in the playoffs, when he was great despite small amounts of icetime, and was dominant this year in the playoffs and in the regular season. I believe he was a top 3 scorer or something despite not reaching the finals?

I've always considered the 4th line a place to groom young players and ease them higher. Thats what bergeron did in his rookie year and a lot of young players did. So i've always considered the 4th line not a "defensive" line as much as a "growing" line. I'm still wondering about him. I think he has the potential to be a 30, possibly 40. But the analysis you've written out on him, is one who hasn't seen him at all last year. He's ready for the NHL. His questions about the full jump to the NHL has never been one of skill, but one of mental ability. I think he's finally ready, but we'll see.

Signing Thornton should pretty much kill the Bruins chances.

$6.7 to one player is insane.  That will cost the B's quality depth and Samsonov next season.

Did Boyton ever sign???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cmon Manta. I know you have your peeves. And it's understood that Thornton hasn't put up in the clutch. But this guy is still just 25 and the way he dominated at last year's World Cup and this year's worlds tells me he could be ready to take the Bruins on his shoulders. This is one of the most talented players. Period. And he should be the best center Imo.

bruins should be very excited because Boston finally showed they're serious about competing for a Cup. That's right. They can!

P.S. I am very happy for Lindros and hope he does well in Toronto even though I despise almost every other Leaf. He handled himself with class here and worked hard. I wish him a lot of luck healthwise and hope he can go out on top.

If Toronto were wise, they'd flank Tucker on his line to ride shotgun.

Lukowich to the Isles: a good signing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This we agree on. He is not flashy and isn't anything special. But he has Cup experience (2 rings-Dallas, Tampa) and makes guys pay the price.

Tri, McEachern didn't look to be in decline with Atlanta. Granted, he played on a great line. He'll still be a serviceable two-way LW, who can play in any situation.

And given Boston's depth with Thornton, Zhamnov, Bergeron and Scatchard at center, McEachern should see time with good players.

its funny you mention bergy as a center. A lot of people loved him providence as a center, but i don't see him has there being room at center in the NHL. Personally, i thought his passing was VASTLY improved and overall offensive awarness was improved at center. He also cut down on going "over physical". He definently passed more at center.

I'm iffy on him, i KNOW i don't like seeing him at the point though.

I think down the road he'll be a center, but now i like him at wing in the NHL. or center if injuries arrise...

see this is kind of a problem, but at the same time makes me so damn happy that this kid is so damn versitaile. I'm still wondering his overall potential in terms offense, but even if he's not more than a 20-20-40 guy, the intangibles he bring are insane.

Re: Thorton I never said he wasn't great all I said is paying him $6.7 a year is going to hamper the depth of the overall team and it has, not only this year but next year when they try and re-sign Samsonov. With salary cap, I think $5 million is the max I would pay any player other wise your sacrificing the rest of the team.

In terms of his scoring, putting up 5 point against Pittsburgh in the regular season and scoring in the playoffs are two different things.

In the playoffs smart teams will pester him, especially now that the B's have no one in back of him that can score and the Bruins will get knocked out of the playoffs

Two GREAT scoring lines. Zhamnov was signed for too much and too long i agree, but he still has some juice in him after a great playoff. And he should be good as a second liner. And he is still an upgrade over nylander who was put between sammy and bergy last year.

First line is 700 pound line v 2.0

Defense is not "terrible". It lacks depth, i said that already.

And in net, razor was great last year. And toivonen could push him.

The third line is great. Mchchrean did not slow down last year. He looked great with stefan last year, and axelsson is still a top 10 grinder in the league. Scatchard, from what i hear is good for solid defense and 20 some goals and great grit. Thats great. And on the 4th line, you have 2 players that were dominant in the AHL last year and in the playoffs and should finally make the jump to the NHL by slowing getting more and more icetime. And Fitzgerlad is really a leadership role.

edit:

coldply how are the forwards much like the devils?

Thornton has the ability to be the most dominant player in the league. And is an absolute force. He alone is a huge difference and better than any devils forwards. Murray has 3 straight 30 plus goal seasons. 2 of which were 40 goal seasons. Zhamnov is still a consisnent 20 goal scorer, and i really think people forget how badly he dominated the devils last playoffs scoring wise. Bergeron is great defensively and was great in the playoffs. He may be no more than a 20 goal guy next year, but i think at least 50 points is fair. Samsonov is a 70 point guy who can tip 30 goals.

The devils have what forwards? Elias who will be out the whole year and gomez who will also be out the whole year? Your top line is a big bad jamie langenbrunner and john madden? Those guys aren't bad, i'd love to have either on the bruins, but offensively the devils don't even compare to the bruins.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Bruins have two great scoring lines on paper. To put Brad Isbister on the first line and assume he's going to be as good as Mike Knuble is optimistic, as well as assuming that Zhamnov will slide in right away. With that many changes, the Bruins will take a little bit of time to adjust. Still, they are far and away a better offensive team than the Devils on paper, and will definitely be better offensively on the ice too.

Elias and Gomez are out for the year? I'd like to see sources for this please. In reality, Elias's timetable is unknown but it's thought he would be ready in December. Gomez has fully healed from his injury.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Id like to see how a team thats undergone that extensive a facelift gels quick enough to become a force.

I agree, any line Thornton plays on becomes great.

But, Isbister will make you want to vomit. Plays so inconsistently, despite his size, he plays soft in the offensive zone and is weak in transition.

Axellson is good, but I think he will be a little bit lost without his 1-2 punch tandem with Rolston now nonexistent.

Better quality than the Devils up front for sure, but I openly question whether the chemistry will work enough. And if people dont think chemistry is a part of success in hockey, not just for a line or for the team, then you havent watched enough hockey.

Not bad. That gives Luongo some ammunition heading into his arbitration case with Florida.

coldplay, you make a good point regarding team chemistry. We'll see what happens during the season.

Not bad. That gives Luongo some ammunition heading into his arbitration case with Florida.

coldplay, you make a good point regarding team chemistry. We'll see what happens during the season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know youll like it, because I thought of the Rangers when I said it.

But, youll probably agree with me on it.

Also, why does everyone think Lou has generally been so quiet with additions and changes?

Very little roster turnover for next year, and Malakhov played with a few of these guys in 2000.

I would not characterize Gratton as 'really good' with Tampa - he got an incredible amount of minutes and posted one of the worst plus minuses in the league that season. But you are right that he was never the same player after going to Philadelphia - I just don't think he was that good before that, either.

Great, Hamrlik signs almost an identical contract that Malakhov got. :blink:

Wonder who got the better player?

Malakhov (37 yrs old), 2 year, $7.2 million deal

3 year averages:

71 GP, 4 G, 17 A, 21 Pts, -1

or

Hamrlik (31 yrs old), 2 year, $7.0 million deal

3 year averages:

75 GP, 9 G, 27 A, 36 Pts, +10

What a panic move by Lou.

Edited by Z-Man

Tri, you're off your rocker. Sorry man. Hamrlik would have been a better option at that price than an aging Mazel Tov and one-dimensional McGillis. Your GM pushed the panic button this time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.