GAME THREAD: 11/3 Rangers at Devils

langs15

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you know I hate to use it as an excuse but you almost somewhat gotta wonder how much this someone is getting traded when Elias comes back is affecting the people who are going to be traded when this whole thing comes to fruition... but then again... one of our worst and most absent players has been Scott Gomez too, but for some of the pluggers and workers that has to be frustrating as all hell for them.....

They just don't send people to the net. Even when they needed a goal like on the last rush Gomez had there was noone there. Are they just so worried about giving up an odd man rush? The majority of goals scored this year are plays around the net and they only happen when multiple players drive to the net and that is something we just do not do nearly often enough.

This team just has zero heart.

EDIT: Elias is not a savior. He cannot make people play the body and not the puck (I am looking at you Matvichuk) or defend guys when they go in front of the net. They lack leadership and when our best offensive player, Mogilny, is not playing well they really struggle.

Edited by PeteyNice

If you wanted a Captain based on the effort on the Ice and the message he sends with his play the only player on the Devils to do this is Gionta.

Gomez should be benched for the next game.

Devils must improve on the PP and especially the 5 on 3 situations.

Larry doesn't deserve to be fired. Devils lack strong offensive talent most are grinders.

With this open style of hockey the Devils will suffer and we are seeing that night after night. Yes there have been some defensive breakdowns but those should be made up for with scoring and when that's lacking you watch the Devils lose or tie.

It's still early in the season.

Lou is to blame for keeping the defensive style for the Devils. Other steams are too fast for the Devils with better offensive talent, like the Rangers.

Little G should at least get the "A" next game. He's doing it all on the ice.

I think Elias will definitely be the teams leader and emotional spark, so who knows what can come out of that.

Am I the only one who didn't think McGillis played that poorly? He really hit tonight, and his hit on Rucchin led to a good scoring chance down at the other end.

Marshall was terrific at the end of the game.

Clemmensen was good again.

Pihlman looked fairly solid. I guess he'll stay around a while?

Am I the only one who didn't think McGillis played that poorly?

Well, you see, it was Brown's turn on the schedule to play like sh!t.

I don't get this "grinders" stuff. Pandolfo, okay. Marshall, yeah. Ras has his offensive moments, but those are rare.

But Langenbrunner, Madden, Gomez, Mogilny, Parise, Kozlov, Gionta, Brylin... these aren't "grinders". And every team has a fourth line.

The difference is that our offensive players are not playing their role. Gomez is MIA. Mogilny, being Mogilny, takes every second game off. Parise should be back in the AHL. Kozlov doesn't want to be here.

Edited by Don

I miss the lockout.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha

Honestly I didn't think they played poorly save for the last 8 minutes or so. Would have liked to see more urgency, I wonder how the line juggling played into that. Two goals against from breakdowns playing guys behind the net, and then the misplay on the bouncing puck by Matvichuk. The Physical element and offensive chances were there, just no finish tonight. Simply put they do need to crash the net.

On the Rangers side, Prucha looks like he wants to stay and Moore looked very solid. Weekes made a handful of big saves and Kasparaitis was solid and took alot of abuse, but kept his cool. Yammy Jagr and his line were a force, and despite Maddenbrunnero (Jay deserves the 'O' people) having a decent game they got their points and generated chances.

I just don't think this team is forechecking aggressively enough in the new NHL to be competitive with the likes of the Ottawa's and Tampa Bay's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say that is an irrefutable fact, I would add Philly to that list as well.

It was a different NHL then. You could sit on a lead.  Today it's about scoring goals consistently and not giving up for a full 60 minutes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree, I think the key is allways puck possession and with grinders that give 100% they recover the puck along the boards the majority of the time. When you have the puck deep in the other teams zone you wear down the defense. Ottawa wins by useing puck possesion, they do it by puck movment. If you have the right forwards you can still use the gritty approach. We are never going to beat team like Ottawa or Tampa with run and gun type offense. Might as well wear them down with physical play.

Now people want Kozlov traded for grinders? where the hell is this team going to get offense from? especially if Elias is slow to return.

Not only do the Devils need Elias, they need another scorer on top of that without subtracting anybody. I'm not sure how it will be done with the asinine salary cap around.

We win this game with Marty in net.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Even though they are pissing me off we are playing without our goalie, top defenseman and top scorer.

And why does it take till there is 8 minutes in the game left for them to start picking it up?

Lisa

Now people want Kozlov traded for grinders? where the hell is this team going to get offense from? especially if Elias is slow to return.

Not only do the Devils need Elias, they need another scorer on top of that without subtracting anybody. I'm not sure how it will be done with the asinine salary cap around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are not going to win the cup no matter what, we will make the playoffs with hard workers + Elias.

I hate to burst every ones bubble on Elias. But there is several problems with the return of him. We are gonna lose some people obviously. Elias is not going to be anywhere at peak form and it will take him a bit to get there. Elias is known for taking his own nights off. His line mates are still gonna move like molasses.

That being said, he could thrive in this new wide open league have have a high mark season.