SPECTOR'S TRADE RUMOURS

Elias26

LINK

09 DECEMBER 2005.

SYKORA TRADE IMMINENT?

LOS ANGELES TIMES: Eric Stephens reports Anaheim Mighty Ducks forward Petr Sykora, the subject of trade rumours in recent weeks, was held out of last night's game against the Buffalo Sabres pending a trade Stephens claims could happens as early as today. Sykora has accompanied the team to Montreal for Saturday night's game against the Canadiens. The Boston Bruins had interest in Sykora following the Joe Thornton trade but the two sides couldn't reach a deal. GM Brian Burke refused to comments but Stephens cites team officials as not denying something may be in the works. Sykora claims neither he or his agent know what's going on.

Spector's Note: I'll be keeping an eye on this situation throughout the day. Hopefully this won't be a false alarm like the Avalanche rumours earlier this week. The NY Rangers, New Jersey Devils and Montreal Canadiens are rumoured to be interested. It would be ironic if Sykora was dealt to the Habs prior to the Ducks- Canadiens game tomorrow, but that could be even more reason to suspect the Canadiens may not be his destination.

THE LATEST ON THE SENATORS.

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports Senators GM John Muckler is feeling no pressure to swing a trade for a replacement for Martin Havlat, likely sidelined for the remainder of the season with a shoulder injury. Muckler intends on spending the next few weeks evaluating how callups Brandon Bochenski and Patrick Eaves can fill the gap. Muckler also expressed his confidence that Havlat will be back in time for the playoffs.

Spector's Note: Unless the Havlat injury puts the Sens into a major slide, I wouldn't expect Muckler to make any deals at this time. Instead, look for him to perhaps bolster his roster by the trade deadline, given that he still has room on his payroll to bring in "rental players".

LEAFS TO MAKE CHANGES?

GLOBE AND MAIL: David Shoalts reports the Leafs may retain rookie blueliners Carlo Colaiacovo and Staffan Kronwall when the latter returns from injury. To fit both under the salary cap, Shoalts writes it could cost the Leafs "at least one veteran, likely forward Mariusz Czerkawski in the short term and probably defenceman Aki Berg in the long term."

Spector's Note: My thanks to regular contributor "Go Sharks". It won't be easy for the Leafs to dump either guy. Czerkawski has been underwhelming, while Berg regularly catches grief from the Leafs faithful for his brain cramps on defence.

SPECTOR'S MAILBAG.

Thanks to Jeremy May for the following on the Avs goaltending situation: "Joel Quenneville addressed AM 950 The Fan this morning

and said that the intention of the Avs when they called up Vitaly Kolesnik was to "take a look at our assets before the second half of the season". He also stated that this would not be a long term situation.

Coach Q expects Kolesnik to remain with the team only through their four game stretch over the next six days, and that he would also likely start in one of the next two games.

Take: So much for all those trade rumours that popped up yesterday. Seems like the team really is just taking a look at what Kolesnik can bring. However, The Rocky Mountain News still points out that reason for

this may still be to see if he can fill in if David Aebischer or Peter Budaj leave town. "

Ryan Anderson has more: "a direct qoute from Quenneville:

"We want to get a good assessment of our assets in the first part of the season. We expect our goaltending to be better here, a little more consistent, and it will probably be healthy internally having some

competition." - Joel Quenneville, the Colorado coach, explaining his decision to add a third goalie, unheralded Vitaly Kolesnik, to the roster and start him in Wednesday's win against Boston."

"Go Sharks" send in the following: "On ESPN News Thursday afternoon, Barry Melrose proposed Philadelphia and Colorado as potential locations for Luongo in a trade."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOS ANGELES TIMES: Eric Stephens reports Anaheim Mighty Ducks forward Petr Sykora, the subject of trade rumours in recent weeks, was held out of last night's game against the Buffalo Sabres pending a trade Stephens claims could happens as early as today.

Intresting i guess we'll see.

"The NY Rangers, New Jersey Devils and Montreal Canadiens are rumoured to be interested. It would be ironic if Sykora was dealt to the Habs prior to the Ducks- Canadiens game tomorrow, but that could be even more reason to suspect the Canadiens may not be his destination."

OK lets see: Rangers are not looking to sign him (contract) and Devils have no interest what-so-ever (history/contract) and the Canadiens "may not be his destination". So in essence, these "rumors" have been floated around (probably by Burke) to inflate interest/demand on a player no one in the league is interested in.

I'm sure the Devils have no interest in him as many many many fans here have pointed out but I think they site the wrong reasons...if we don't, and most likely we won't, get him it will be purely because of salary cap reasons. When Sykora was dealt because of his lack of production and his attitude it was at a time in the NHL when such a luxury could be taken. I think that it has come to a point with the new salary cap when the attitude can and will easily fade just because if it doesn't you will not have a job in the NHL...cap restrictions only allow you so much room and players are fighting for their jobs...no one can afford to allow and attitude to keep you out of a possible job offer. That being said I also believe not only in the general sense of the NHL but the especially for the Devs that teams have to look into the best interest of the team not whether or not you happen to like a player as a GM. Sykkie without a doubt would have instant chemestry with Elias (they even played on the same Russian team during the lockout) and it would add even more depth once Elias returns (depending on what we have to give up) and would catapult the team to a much better position offensively. I just believe that teams are seeing the player for the skills more than his personality more in this new NHL (thus a lot of teams wanting Bertuzzi...he's skilled, almost doesn't matter if you lose a few fans for the time being because when you're winning the fans will return) Anyway, like I said I don't think we would get him just because we can't afford him but enough with the Lou won't get him he's been a problem before...not only does that really not apply any more but who knows...maybe he learned his lesson anyway...but that's just my two cents!! :D

Funny, when syk was dealt fromthe devs I was so angry at him, the no show he did iont he playoffs was just sad...

but all of you who thoguht Freeze would excel inthe "New" NHL must believe the same about Syk???

for the right deal i would not mind seeing him back in NJ...

If we could somehow dump Mogs on someone (Florida, perhaps?), then I would do it. Mogilny has a terrific shot, but he is just so slow, and mishandles the puck ALL THE TIME on the pp.

Sykora has better legs, a blistering shot, and would help our PP markedly. We would also save 400k in Cap dollars.

His #'s on the Devils:

games: 445

goals: 145

assists: 205

+/-: +87

And christ, at least he shoots the puck, too, something that no one on our PP does except for Sean Brown.

He has also played in at least 73 games in every NHL season since 1998. He's durable. Everytime Mogilny takes a spill, I get worried.

I dunno, I wouldn't mind it.

Edited by Voros19

It is the same thing all the time around here.

If Sykora came back ... when he was not the same player ... then it would be... we can dump him on Florida and get back Friesen.

It's a vicious cycle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's simply speculation. That's what makes rumors fun.

If the Devils could get Sykora for say McGillis/Malakhov and Langdon or something like that then I would do it. But I would only do a trade for Sykora if the Devils were getting rid of useless bits with about the same total salary, that way if he is useless it really doesn't hurt.

Can anyone remember a time when we were rumored to trade for a player and that trade actually happened?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the Gilmour trade rumors actually rumbled before we got him.... I remember that a bit cause before we got Gilmour we got Zezel... a man I so aptly started calling a SPAMburger of a hockey player.... ahh the good ol' days :P

But accurate rumors with this team are few and far between though

If we could somehow dump Mogs on someone (Florida, perhaps?), then I would do it. Mogilny has a terrific shot, but he is just so slow, and mishandles the puck ALL THE TIME on the pp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why does everyone keep wanting to dump Mogilny? He's only the second leading scorer on the team, and unlike SOME people on the team he's even trying. He's been playing with a bad hip and for all we know is playing with a concussion.

Why does everyone keep wanting to dump Mogilny?  He's only the second leading scorer on the team, and unlike SOME people on the team he's even trying.  He's been playing with a bad hip and for all we know is playing with a concussion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because he is a liability when he's on the ice. He can't skate, mishandles the puck, and is injury prone. I swear, if I had a dollar for every time he wiffs on one-timers on the PP, geez. Yeah, he has a terrific shot, yeah, but that doesn't just buy him a spot on the team. God forbid Mogilny ever goes down with a serious injury, too.

I feel much safer with Sykora than I do with Mogilny. I know if he's caught back, he can catch up to the play. I know he won't go down with an injury in the big spot. I know he won't completely miss the puck 50% of the time one-timers.

Yeah, he's trying, but how effective is Mogilny lighty bumping a guy to the boards? It has no effect.

Because he is a liability when he's on the ice. He can't skate, mishandles the puck, and is injury prone. I swear, if I had a dollar for every time he wiffs on one-timers on the PP, geez. Yeah, he has a terrific shot, yeah, but that doesn't just buy him a spot on the team. God forbid Mogilny ever goes down with a serious injury, too.

I feel much safer with Sykora than I do with Mogilny. I know if he's caught back, he can catch up to the play. I know he won't go down with an injury in the big spot. I know he won't completely miss the puck 50% of the time one-timers.

Yeah, he's trying, but how effective is Mogilny lighty bumping a guy to the boards? It has no effect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree.

Mogilny makes mistakes on the ice. But they are ALL making gigantic mistakes on the ice. He's also won some games for us. We could have even more losses if not for his big-time goals.

He makes some nice plays and doesn't shy away from physicality. I don't think he "lightly" bumps either. And I think doing that DOES help in that it doesn't give guys red-carpet treatment to our net.

He also is not quite as slow as has been said to be around here recently, but yeah, not as fast as he once was. And that shot. It's wicked. It's the wickedest one we got.

Sykora's numbers this year are much worse than Mogs'. I don't feel safer with him than I would Alex and I adored Petr in his tenure.

Hasan, don't even bother trying to use logic with some of these posters -- they seem to think that if we re-sign or trade for every player from the '00 Cup team we'll automatically be Cup contenders again...hell, let's get Claude out of retirement. Who cares if he might need an oxygen tank on ice, he's better than the crap we've put out there, right?

Yup, Sykora has been terrible this year, but he'd be some magical upgrade on our team...just what we need, another struggling forward who throws hissy fits when things aren't going his way.

If we magically did get Sykora, these same people that are begging for him will be the first to throw him to the wolves when he doesn't pan out. Mark my words.

Yup, Sykora has been terrible this year, but he'd be some magical upgrade on our team...just what we need, another struggling forward who throws hissy fits when things aren't going his way.

If we magically did get Sykora, these same people that are begging for him will be the first to throw him to the wolves when he doesn't pan out. Mark my words.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap::clap::clap:

That's what i'm trying to get across but I feel more like I'm :argh::argh::argh:

Way to be, RD!

:clap::clap::clap: