Buffalo Announcers

PaDevsFan

But these guys are just downright ridiculous!!!!! I thought Philly's announcers were bad (and they are) but man I cant stand it when these guys are doing a game. First was it me or was Buffalos 4th goal played by a high stick by Drury??? He taps it to the Buffalo player from a high stick (it was at least at his shoulder level) Bad enough no whistle, but the announcers are watching it on the replay and talking about how great of a block it was by Drury and having the presence of mind to be able to tap it to his teammate?? What the hell are they watching they didnt even mention a possible high stick. Atg least say it could have been questionable, it wasnt like they were going to take the goal away for being honest?? then I am watching as Parise scores with literally no time left and these Bozos are crying goalie interference???? You have got to be kidding me. Parise was borderline even in the crease and they were crying he was all over Miller, I dont even think he touched him to be honest. He was close but... And not to mention all the times Brodeur got bumped and nothing even mentioned?? Ridiculous.

I know Chico can be a homer as well, but damn Emerick is the best and he is at least pretty un biased even when he isnt doing a Devils national game but just a regular game!!

I could not agree more. The buffalo announcers where horrible. The worst part about the hole thing was when parise scored the final goal they kept talking about how he interfered with miller. They showed it on replay like 10 times and parise never even touched him.

I would agree they are horrible, just horrible.

Ya know, I gotta be honest- I'm kind of sick of people complaning about other teams' announcers on here. Other teams' announcers are homers. It's just the way it is. Every day there's a complanint about announcers- it's redundant and a little bit irritating. If you hate guys that much, mute the TV and put the radio on (of course this will force you to listen to the wonderful PBP stylings of Matt Loughlin and the expert analysis of Tom Chorske :argh: ) or just mute the TV. I personally think it's okay for announcers to be homers. They're employed by the team they announce for. So rest assured, the Sabres' announcers aren't rooting for the Devils when they play each other.

Ya know, I gotta be honest- I'm kind of sick of people complaning about other teams' announcers on here. Other teams' announcers are homers. It's just the way it is. Every day there's a complanint about announcers- it's redundant and a little bit irritating. If you hate guys that much, mute the TV and put the radio on (of course this will force you to listen to the wonderful PBP stylings of Matt Loughlin and the expert analysis of Tom Chorske :argh: ) or just mute the TV. I personally think it's okay for announcers to be homers. They're employed by the team they announce for. So rest assured, the Sabres' announcers aren't rooting for the Devils when they play each other.
Edited by PaDevsFan

I don't listen to other announcers on a regular basis but I'd think anyone would naturally suffer in comparison to Doc. Plus a lot of people that 'complain' about the homerism of announcers often have no choice but to be subjected to them since they're watching the game on Center Ice, obviously they live out of state. Well you can listen to the radio telecast over the internet if you have internet access during the game, but the Devils' radio team has been dry as dirt since Mike Miller left :P

I never liked Jeanerette's goal call :lol: but don't know enough about him otherwise to have my own opinion on whether he crosses the line from homerism to blinded with bias. I sort of expect homerism as MadDog said - they are catering to 'their' audience, but total blind bias would annoy the heck out of me.

BTW I don't remember Doc having any mention of the Drury high-stick either? Maybe I just didn't care to pay much attention after that fourth goal :noclue:

Edited by Hasan4978

Jenarete is a homer?

Well of course he is,nothing wrong with that.He is broadcasting to sabres fans after all.I consider him one of the best and maybe the most entertaining play by play guy out there.In fact ill say his call of Brad Mays OT winner in the playoffs against the Bruins may be my favorite ever...MAY DAY MAY DAY MAY MAY DAY!!!! :P

I don't listen to other announcers on a regular basis but I'd think anyone would naturally suffer in comparison to Doc. Plus a lot of people that 'complain' about the homerism of announcers often have no choice but to be subjected to them since they're watching the game on Center Ice, obviously they live out of state. Well you can listen to the radio telecast over the internet if you have internet access during the game, but the Devils' radio team has been dry as dirt since Mike Miller left :P

I never liked Jeanerette's goal call :lol: but don't know enough about him otherwise to have my own opinion on whether he crosses the line from homerism to blinded with bias. I sort of expect homerism as MadDog said - they are catering to 'their' audience, but total blind bias would annoy the heck out of me.

BTW I don't remember Doc having any mention of the Drury high-stick either? Maybe I just didn't care to pay much attention after that fourth goal :noclue:

And this is my point. Yes these announcers are paid by the team, but the game is different for commontators now than it was 5 - 10 yrs ago. Before you had announcers that did the game and did it for the local audience only there was no broadcasts to "other markets" for a fee. So in my opinion while these guys need to be partial to the home team they also have to realize they are broadcasting to at least some of the other teams fans as well on a nightly basis. So for that they make themselves sound like morons with their "blind homerism" and not even a shred of impartiality. Like I said before in certain cases they need to be aware of their audiences and just not say anything.

Lets also remember one thing, while the team pays the announcers, I am not positive but at least somewhat certain that each team receives some royalty for the 160 dollars per subscription for any NHL center Ice package. And that being said since in some small way I am contributing to their salary at least some sense of reality should be expected!!

P.S. in reading several articles it is the small market teams that receive the biggest benefit from this revenue sharing and Center Ice seems to be a big part of revenues generated by the NHL . Last time I checked Buffalo was in that small market category .

Edited by PaDevsFan

I was listening to the Buffalo radio feed and you would think Ghana was beating Brazil in the World Cup finals as oppsed to a regular season hockey game. Enthusiasm is good---acting like a lunatic is something else. It was as if they were trying too hard to get thier highlight calls picked up by ESPN or the natioal sports radio broadcasters--it came across as immature.

I agree.

It is funny how so many fans seem to have selective hearing when it comes to Jeanneret and Jim Lorenz. Does Rick get ultra excited? Absolutely....Can his reactions annoy you when your team is losing to the Sabres? No question! Did you hear Jeanneret's reaction to Marty's great save in the 3rd? It had PLENTY of enthusaisam, and on PLENTY of occassions, I know for a fact that both of those guys give the Devils props and respect throughout the games over the years. What are they supposed to do, make an announcement that "well, we sound like homers, let's forget about hoping for the Sabres to win, a team that Jeanneret has covered since 1972, let's just praise the other team for 60 minutes" :argh:

Chico's comments are just bas bad, do you hear me complaining about it? No, he is a Devils announcer, of COURSE he is going to look at things slanted towards the Devils, he is on the DEVILS NETWORK..just as Rick is on the SABRES NETWORK...and not for nothing, go take a listen to the guy from Tampa, who screams like a crazed lumatic after a goal and when the other team scores, he can barely say the word goal, at least Rick and Jim can show some juice when Marty makes a great save.

Seems to me I have met several Devils fans who really have issues with Jeanneret, more then any fan base I have met over the years, i'm not really sure why though :noclue: ...IMO the NHL needs more guys like him, but that is just how I see it.

Edited by LOTCB

I agree.

It is funny how so many fans seem to have selective hearing when it comes to Jeanneret and Jim Lorenz. Does Rick get ultra excited? Absolutely....Can his reactions annoy you when your team is losing to the Sabres? No question! Did you hear Jeanneret's reaction to Marty's great save in the 3rd? It had PLENTY of enthusaisam, and on PLENTY of occassions, I know for a fact that both of those guys give the Devils props and respect throughout the games over the years. What are they supposed to do, make an announcement that "well, we sound like homers, let's forget about hoping for the Sabres to win, a team that Jeanneret has covered since 1972, let's just praise the other team for 60 minutes" :argh:

Chico's comments are just bas bad, do you hear me complaining about it? No, he is a Devils announcer, of COURSE he is going to look at things slanted towards the Devils, he is on the DEVILS NETWORK..just as Rick is on the SABRES NETWORK...and not for nothing, go take a listen to the guy from Tampa, who screams like a crazed lumatic after a goal and when the other team scores, he can barely say the word goal, at least Rick and Jim can show some juice when Marty makes a great save.

Seems to me I have met several Devils fans who really have issues with Jeanneret, more then any fan base I have met over the years, i'm not really sure why though :noclue: ...IMO the NHL needs more guys like him, but that is just how I see it.

Yeah ok, and I heard those comments about Marty in the 3rd period it was with the Sabres up by 2 at 3 - 1. Do you think he makes those comments if they are down 2 - 1 to the Devils?? My point is very simple, again I understand the whole homer thing, but at least be somewhat fair. Nobody expects them to sit there and say lets go Devils, but to whine about Parise (who never touched Miller) scoring with 1 second left and your team is going to win anyway?? Just give it a break and say great game by both teams Congrats to the Sabres for a hard fought win!!! Yeah Chico is a homer but is Doc??? Doc is the most impartial home team announcer even when just doing a Devils game not an NBC game. The fact is like I said above, these announcers have to understand and cater to the opposing teams audience at least a little bit. They are not just commenting to the Sabres fans anymore.

Yeah ok, and I heard those comments about Marty in the 3rd period it was with the Sabres up by 2 at 3 - 1. Do you think he makes those comments if they are down 2 - 1 to the Devils?? My point is very simple, again I understand the whole homer thing, but at least be somewhat fair. Nobody expects them to sit there and say lets go Devils, but to whine about Parise (who never touched Miller) scoring with 1 second left and your team is going to win anyway?? Just give it a break and say great game by both teams Congrats to the Sabres for a hard fought win!!! Yeah Chico is a homer but is Doc??? Doc is the most impartial home team announcer even when just doing a Devils game not an NBC game. The fact is like I said above, these announcers have to understand and cater to the opposing teams audience at least a little bit. They are not just commenting to the Sabres fans anymore.

I love Doc, one of the most genuine human beings I ever met, (I interned with the Devils years ago) and I have nothing but great things to say about Doc, but keep this in mind...Doc does national games, he is much more programmed to be impartial then let's say, a Rick J. Look at Sam Rosen, another top notch announcer, he does national games too.

Again, if Chico decides to be a 'homer' and the Devils employ him, and I am listening to the Devils game and I do not like it, tough poop as they say on me. Chico is hired for the Devils fans first and foremost, as Jeanneret is employed to cover Sabres games for the Sabres fan first and foremost. While to a small degree I agree with you that the annoucers should at least show respect to the other team and point out how good they are etc...that is very low on their job function if you ask me.

Again, I get why when you are watching Buffalo, how Rick can irritate you, especially in this rare case (considering recent history) that your Devils lose to the Sabres.

I like Rick J. Yeah it can get annoying if the Devils are losing to the Sabers but I still like him. AS long as I don't have to hear the Carolina guys they annoy the hell out of me.

Good call...those Carolina guys are BRUTAL!!! Especially that one old sounding guy on the radio who sounds drunk! :lol:

I really want the Canes as the 8th seed...I want to see the Sabres run them over as revenge for last year

I never care about homerism amongst announcers, but having grown up in Toronto we got a lot of Buffalo games on TV, and we have made fun of his over the top ridiculous homerism for as long as I remember. Watching a Montreal/Buffalo game back in the early 90s and having to hear about how good Darren piece of Puppa was was absurd when he's facing Patrick Freaking Roy. My brother and I still joke about it every once in a while, letting out a "Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupaaaaaaa!!!!!!"

That, Topps commercials, the Bills, and the fact that the place is an armpit of a city are the reasons I came to loathe that place. Good outlet mall shopping though.

Mad if you read my post I understand other teams announcers are homers and supposed to be as they are paid by the teams, but come on lets be real how about a little fairness. When I say fairness, if there is a questionable play then rather than say something so pro that team dont say anything at all. the point is like last night on Parises goal with 1 second left rather than cry cry whine whine cry cry about how Parise was "all over Miller" dont say anytthing and just say the Sabres are going to get a huge win and let it at that that is the point!!! Why can Emrick be impartial when he does the Devils?? do you really think he would have cried at that if it were the other way around??????

I understand that can be annoying- it would probably piss me off too. I'm lucky because I live in Jersey and never have to watch an opposing team's broadcast of a Devils game. But I understand that a lot of times these guys- even though they are calling the game- are using their hearts- not their heads- when it comes to officiating and perception. This is just the way it is. I'd probably do the same if I was calling Devils games. I personally think Jenneret is great- he loves his team, he's knowledgable, and he gets very excited. He's also the closest thing to a Rodney Dangerfield look-alike the human race has ever seen. :P Guys like John Kelley (the former Colorado PBP who now does St. Louis games) and the two dopes who do the Carolina games get on my nerves big time, as does Kirk Kielback, the guy who does the Phoenix games and has the most annoying voice I've ever heard. But they are homers, and that's not gonna change. But I do understand your point.

I understand that can be annoying- it would probably piss me off too. I'm lucky because I live in Jersey and never have to watch an opposing team's broadcast of a Devils game. But I understand that a lot of times these guys- even though they are calling the game- are using their hearts- not their heads- when it comes to officiating and perception. This is just the way it is. I'd probably do the same if I was calling Devils games. I personally think Jenneret is great- he loves his team, he's knowledgable, and he gets very excited. He's also the closest thing to a Rodney Dangerfield look-alike the human race has ever seen. :P Guys like John Kelley (the former Colorado PBP who now does St. Louis games) and the two dopes who do the Carolina games get on my nerves big time, as does Kirk Kielback, the guy who does the Phoenix games and has the most annoying voice I've ever heard. But they are homers, and that's not gonna change. But I do understand your point.

true all good points, and he does look like Rodney. My only complaint really is that hey just try to understand that in todays NHL where you have games being broadcast to other markets, and your team shares in the revenue sharing pool, then try to be a bit more impartial. Hey tell me how great the Sabres are, tell me how great they are doing during the game, but when my team does something dont try to ruin it by claiming something that wasnt there. I guess I am just really irritated about that cry fest with 1 second left. I mean if Parise had rolled over MIller I wouldnt have a problem with it but come on he didnt touch him it made no difference to the outcome of the game so just dont say anything. Thats all.

I never care about homerism amongst announcers, but having grown up in Toronto we got a lot of Buffalo games on TV, and we have made fun of his over the top ridiculous homerism for as long as I remember. Watching a Montreal/Buffalo game back in the early 90s and having to hear about how good Darren piece of Puppa was was absurd when he's facing Patrick Freaking Roy. My brother and I still joke about it every once in a while, letting out a "Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupaaaaaaa!!!!!!"

That, Topps commercials, the Bills, and the fact that the place is an armpit of a city are the reasons I came to loathe that place. Good outlet mall shopping though.

Topps? Like the trading card company? :doh1:

Tops Never Stops! :lol:

Armpit of a city, hey nothing beautiful about Buffalo, but give me substance over beauty any day of the week