Plenty of seats available for first two games

SC Devs Fan

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Plenty of seats available for first two games

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

By TOM GULITTI

STAFF WRITER

WEST ORANGE -- After failing to sell out any of their 41 regular-season home games, the Devils are trying to avoid the embarrassment of playing their playoff opener against Tampa Bay on Thursday night in front of a half-empty Continental Arena.

Playoff ticket sales were going so poorly that the team has been scrambling the past two days to put together discount plans. Information on those plans was e-mailed Tuesday afternoon to those who held either full or partial regular-season ticket packages.

They included offering upper-level seats for Games 1 and 2 at $45 with a special discount code. Those seats originally were $60.

Devils general manager and coach Lou Lamoriello acknowledged that sales have been disappointing and that there are tickets available for Thursday's game, but wouldn't get into specific numbers.

"It's more than I'd like to see," he said.

The Devils also made discount offers during the regular season to those with season-ticket plans. Upper-level seats that normally sold for $52 were available for as low as $12.50 for select games.

Despite those efforts, the Devils averaged only 14,176 fans per game (capacity is 19,040) and those numbers often were inflated by giveaways.

Ticket prices increased slightly for the playoffs. Lower-level seats that cost $90 during the regular season are $95 in the playoffs. Upper-level prices that ranged from $20 to $70 for the regular season cost from $45 to $80 in the postseason.

Playoff tickets can be purchased for individual games or in eight-game strips through newjerseydevils.com, TicketMaster or at the arena box office.

Matty or Andy?

Lamoriello said he has not decided if veteran Richard Matvichuk or rookie Andy Greene will dress as the team's sixth defenseman Thursday. Matvichuk played his first game of the season Sunday after working his way back from June back surgery and waiting for the team to have the salary cap room to activate him.

"We're going to make a decision game time," Lamoriello said. "After not playing for so long, certainly the second game back is the toughest game to play, especially the first game of a series. We'll talk about it, but if he [Matvichuk] doesn't play the first game, he'll certainly be playing [later in the series]."

Briefs

Forward Erik Rasmussen missed practice Tuesday because he had the flu. ... Defenseman Brad Lukowich on facing the Lightning, with whom he won a Stanley Cup in 2004: "It's been three years. There's been a lockout. The game is different now. I'm just playing against guys in a different jersey now and that's how I have to look at it."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Ticket prices increased slightly for the playoffs. Lower-level seats that cost $90 during the regular season are $95 in the playoffs. Upper-level prices that ranged from $20 to $70 for the regular season cost from $45 to

Poor Journalism. WHo is Gulitti to decide what is a large increase and what isn't. Why doesn't Gulitti try to pay for tickets instead of using his press pass.

20 to 45 is 125% increase. That's slight?

Ticketmaster says 12 seats together are available in every price range except $45. Maybe we should start busing old people from nursing homes to the games and give them free tickets and a voucher for an early bird special at Old Country Buffet. At least the place would look full on TV.

What an embarrassment. The Isles and Rags will have both their building full for the playoffs and the Devils will be lucky to get 14k. Maybe it would've been better playing the Rags in the first round, at least then I wouldn't have to hear about crappy attendance and the main focus would be the game.

I have a feeling the Devils are going to set an all time low attendance mark Thursday.

Poor Journalism. WHo is Gulitti to decide what is a large increase and what isn't. Why doesn't Gulitti try to pay for tickets instead of using his press pass.

20 to 45 is 125% increase. That's slight?

On the flip side who are you to decide what is slight or not? Gulitti probably looked at the whole arena's price structure and not just the 1 ticket that increased the most percentage wise.

Edit: On a good note that means more space for me and less hassle due to poor roads, construction, and only 1 concourse.

Edited by Devils731

How come we never see these attendence hit pieces on the Islanders:

Average 2006-2007 12,520

I'm surpised that Isles can even average 10k, let alone 12.5k. But, some may say the same about the Devils average belly buttons. :noclue:

Edited by hattrick

What an embarrassment. The Isles and Rags will have both their building full for the playoffs and the Devils will be lucky to get 14k. Maybe it would've been better playing the Rags in the first round, at least then I wouldn't have to hear about crappy attendance and the main focus would be the game.

I have a feeling the Devils are going to set an all time low attendance mark Thursday.

No, then we'd just have to hear how the building would be half-full with Ranger fans.

The fact that we're playing Tampa doesn't help. We need a more recognizable first round opponent to get us up into the 16,000+ mark. The Lightning are only further depressing our numbers.

Edited by '7'

How come we never see these attendence hit pieces on the Islanders:

Average 2006-2007 12,520

Thank Jeebus someone brought this up. I have been saying this for months years now, the Islanders are a terrible draw! The only time their building sees decent numbers is when the Devils or Rangers visit - and even though they announce a 'sellout' there are still plenty of empty seats. Last time the Devils were on the Island, the Coliseum barely drew 12,000. And when do the Devils usually have the fewest in attendance? When the Islanders come to town.

People should stop worrying about the 14,000 a game the Devils draw and worry a little more about the Islanders only drawing 7,800 when Heatley, Spezza and the rest of the crew were in town. Yet Islander fans still have the wherewithal (sp?) to throw the attendance insult at Devils fans. Now THAT'S embarrasing.

As for the playoffs, I couldn't care less about attendance, who is on the ice, the refs, what the ice girls are wearing, shots on goal.. Would a big raucus crowd be nice? Sure, but the ONLY thing that matters in the playoffs is whether or not the game ended in a 'W'. End of story.

Edited by puckrock

But Islanders fans come out of the woodwork during the playoffs. The demand for there two games against Buffalo is very high and they'll easily put 16,200 in the building, while we'll struggle to hit that number tomorrow.

Islander fans are tough to classify. I guess they didn't buy into their team for most of the season, now they're in love with them. And we saw more Isles fans at the CAA on Sunday than we've ever seen Devils fans at the Coliseum.

Edited by '7'

But Islanders fans come out of the woodwork during the playoffs. The demand for there two games against Buffalo is very high and they'll easily put 16,200 in the building, while we'll struggle to hit that number tomorrow.

Islander fans are tough to classify. I guess they didn't buy into their team for most of the season, now they're in love with them. And we saw more Isles fans at the CAA on Sunday than we've ever seen Devils fans at the Coliseum.

True, but look at the circumstance surrounding that game. It was a win-and-they're-in scenario. The Islanders also have a lot of ticket giveaways and discounts to get their building full, too. Giving away $100 tickets for $19 to students?? That's one way to boost attendance!

A no matter game on easter sunday for the Devils and a do or die game for the islanders? Who did you expect to show?

Will we put 16k+ into our seats? I think so. Escpecially on Saturday.

The Islanders arena capacity is only 16,000+ so 12,000 looks like a lot in that building where at the Meadowlands the place looks empty.

The media likes to bash the Devils by using % instead of numbers. I always thought it was dirty pool. Unless you are having daily sell outs for the majority of teams you cant go by % you got to go by numbers.

Apples and oranges. We have won 3 Cups in the last few years and again are one of the better teams in the NHL, we should have the fan base that should sell out a playoff game. The Isles, well, they've sucked so I excuse their fans for not showing up or being convinced they have turned any kind of corner.

Apples and oranges. We have won 3 Cups in the last few years and again are one of the better teams in the NHL, we should have the fan base that should sell out a playoff game. The Isles, well, they've sucked so I excuse their fans for not showing up or being convinced they have turned any kind of corner.

Islanders are a multi stanley cup winning team. Granted its been a while but still. you would think they would have at least as many as we do at games for all the bashing we get.

Plus Devils marketing is atrocious. The arena layout is atrocious. The parking is atrocious. The arena is a "dead" arena in the middle of a "wierd" looking construction zone (Is that thing actually the skeleton of an indoor ski area?!?!). Given all that plus the knowledge that there is a new arena on the horizon the attendence IMO was better than one should have expected.

Islanders are a multi stanley cup winning team. Granted its been a while but still. you would think they would have at least as many as we do at games for all the bashing we get.

The only ones who remember are Ranger fans who still cheer "Potvin sucks"

No argument from me about marketing, hopefuly a new arena means a new marketing team/stragety

The only ones who remember are Ranger fans who still cheer "Potvin sucks"

No argument from me about marketing, hopefuly a new arena means a new marketing team/stragety

lol... yah....

The other "reality" to consider is to look at both our teams and our attendence and maybe thats about it for "2nd tier market teams" for NHL hockey in this area. There is a saturation of teams in this area and the team that plays in the big city will naturally draw the media attention and the fans no matter who they are. I think this thinking though will help us fill more seats in Newark even though initially I was skeptical.....

:blahblah:

Curses, I just bought my ticket yesterday. Had I known, I would have waited to see if I could get a deal . . .

:saddevil:

Could anyone recommend some places to eat around the arena/places to park. I am driving up from D.C. and am on a law students budget. On a plus, I am excited to see my first Devils home game!

Curses, I just bought my ticket yesterday. Had I known, I would have waited to see if I could get a deal . . .

Could anyone recommend some places to eat around the arena/places to park. I am driving up from D.C. and am on a law students budget. On a plus, I am excited to see my first Devils home game!

Law studenbt budget, Reds? (some park right around the corner for the game too) :dance:

Or if you really wanna eat.... Bonefish if you like seafood. We went there on Sunday before the game and was shocked how good the seafood was..... Mignon if you want steaks..... but those are like more a lawyers budget. ;)

Edited by Hellhound

CAA is in the middle of NO WHERE. Your better off stopping the Turnpike to get food as a Hot Dog at CAA is $7.

CAA is in the middle of NO WHERE. Your better off stopping the Turnpike to get food as a Hot Dog at CAA is $7.

Bahhh... There is tons of stuff in the area.... Waterfront Cafe? :blink:

Or more seriously up and down harmon meadow bvld or whatever that is called in seacaucus,..... There are like 10 resturaunts there.

or up on 17?

I can think of plenty of places that are better than a turnpike hotdog.

A hot dog is $4...

Unless you're just being sarcastic :D

I'm goin with my friend, who CLAIMS he has coupons for 50% off tickets, if you go with 4 people, even for the playoffs. He better not be lying :rofl:

That being said, so far we only have three people, still looking for a fourth.