JANSSEN HURTS SHOULDER AS DEVILS DUKE IT OUT

SC Devs Fan

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09182007/sport...der_as_devi.htm

JANSSEN HURTS SHOULDER AS DEVILS DUKE IT OUT

By MARK (N)Єverson

September 18, 2007 -- TRENTON - Brent Sutter's first exhibition as Devils coach was just that: Five fights in the first 12 minutes and one resulting casualty.

"Hey, what are you going to do? That happens, I guess," Sutter said after incumbent enforcer Cam Janssen suffered a suspected shoulder dislocation in last night's 3-2 loss to the Flyers here.

"Both teams had some pretty strong individuals in their lineup. There was some meat in there," Sutter said. "That's part of the game. We can't worry about it."

The fireworks had reached their peak of three bouts each a clock-second apart, when Janssen tried to avenge his earlier loss to Jesse Boulerice. Again, the Flyer pulled Janssen's jersey over his head and pounded away, but this time, Janssen landed awkwardly. Boulerice immediately ceased fire, and Janssen finally rose and left the ice, his arm dangling ominously.

"We came in and saw their lineup, and it was more than obvious. Hey, we're not going to back down from anybody," said Mike Rupp, who drew with Ben Eager one clock-second before Janssen's last bout.

Janssen missed 11 games with a shoulder dislocation last season and likely is on the shelf again. He was not on hand after the game.

The Devils clearly missed their top line of Patrik Elias, Dainius Zubrus and Brian Gionta, as well as defenseman Paul Martin, and Martin Brodeur. The Flyers dressed a varsity lineup, with signee Daniel Briere between Mike Knuble and Simon Gagne.

Lasse Kukkonen and Mike Richards scored on new Devils backup Kevin Weekes in the first, while Flyer Martin Biron was perfect against 16 shots in the first two periods. Antero Niittymaki yielded a pair of third-period 5-on-3 goals to Devils Zach Parise and Andy Greene before Flyer Scottie Upshall connected on the power play against Devils reliever Jordan Parise at 8:42 of the third.

"We did a lot of good things. I'm happy how we competed. The intensity was good and the emotion on the bench was very good," Sutter said.

Attendance was announced at a generous 4,615. ... John Madden, Travis Zajac and Jay Pandolfo were the Devils' three designated alternate captains (without letters) after Sutter indicated Patrik Elias' captaincy was up for grabs ... Devs visit Bruins in Manchester, N.H., tomorrow and Garden on Friday.

mark.(N)Єverson@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09182007/sport...der_as_devi.htm

Attendance was announced at a generous 4,615. ... John Madden, Travis Zajac and Jay Pandolfo were the Devils' three designated alternate captains (without letters) after Sutter indicated Patrik Elias' captaincy was up for grabs ... Devs visit Bruins in Manchester, N.H., tomorrow and Garden on Friday.

mark.(N)Єverson@nypost.com

Edited by SickMan

Man... hw annoying for Cam... bumb shoulder. I think I better have a boy - I have been told (as has my mother) we have genetically superior connective tissue... who says that? And we weren't even told by the same person...:wacko:

My dad has some joint damage in his ankle they just found -- and they looked all mystified and said "This looks like an ancient sports injury" i think my dad felt so cool - releived too though it wasn't bone cancer or something!!

:unsure: I just totally digressed...

Get better Cam!

I hope LL has a few more bruisers lined up for Sutter's goon line. I wonder if Troy Crowder can still skate? Somebody mentioned the Mullberry Street Maulers as a nickname but after yesterday I'm not so sure :noclue:

I'm a little mad at Cam .. if he can't commit to win at all costs -- I mean he got his ass handed to him AND he hurt himself... there's just no cutting your losses in a fight. It's called charge forward on your knees there and take the fvcker's legs out... this so sucks <_< wait a sec... no toe pick pn hockey skates...I suppose you fear your face might get cut up... I dont know - I just wish he hadn't seemed so vulnerable... (GOD I HATE THAT WORD!!!!) :argh::argh:

I'm a little mad at Cam .. if he can't commit to win at all costs -- I mean he got his ass handed to him AND he hurt himself... there's just no cutting your losses in a fight. It's called charge forward on your knees there and take the fvcker's legs out... this so sucks <_< wait a sec... no toe pick pn hockey skates...I suppose you fear your face might get cut up... I dont know - I just wish he hadn't seemed so vulnerable... (GOD I HATE THAT WORD!!!!) :argh::argh: