Bruins' Bergeron taken off on stretcher

mrthemike

Cherry had something on an old shot he aired about replacing it with velcro. The league should watch it.

Incidental or not, as Jones pointed out, he had time to pull up and instead shoved Bergeron face first on impact. Maybe we should be on the receiving end of one of those and see how we feel.

Bergeron suffered a concussion. That shouldn't be tossed aside.

Protecting defenseless players is good. They still haven't addressed the goal crease which is why you see so many collisions like the ones they aired on HNIC Coach's Corner.

If the crease were bigger like the old days, attacking players wouldn't be right on top of netminders because there would be more space. You wouldn't see as many of these collisions if they addressed this area.

Edited by Derek21

I agree with the sentiments of other posts in this thread. This looks like one of those unfortunate plays that occurs because of the physical nature of hockey. Borderline hit, but there were three or four similar to it in last night's Devils game... the difference is how far Bergeron is from the boards and how bent over he is at the start.

Cherry had something on an old shot he aired about replacing it with velcro. The league should watch it.

Incidental or not, as Jones pointed out, he had time to pull up and instead shoved Bergeron face first on impact. Maybe we should be on the receiving end of one of those and see how we feel.

Bergeron suffered a concussion. That shouldn't be tossed aside.

yes! actually it should be tossed aside. look, if a player trips on a stick and smashes his head against the ice should we remove hockey sticks from the game? how about removing the puck because occasionally players take pucks to the face? The result should have no bearing on the punishment.

Either its a penalty or its not regardless if the player walks away fine or stays on the ice for 15 minutes.

I'm not trying to sound cruel, but consistent. Either you are allowed to hit players who will once a year go into the boards awkwardly and hurt themselves or we remove hitting. The same result for Bergeron could have happened on any other hit. And it's totally irrelevant to bring up the "why don't you take that hit and tell me how it feels argument" I've taken many cheap shots in my day, its the nature of the game and I'm sure a ton of former and current amateur posters here can attest to the same thing. Look it sucks he got hurt, i hope he is ok, I would love for the flyers to have another guy suspended for a quarter season, but 20 games for a freak accident is absurd and the only message it sends is you better pray that the guy you hit isn't that one in a thousand who is going to get hurt no matter how hard you hit him.

Edited by jsonnabend

Except for the fact that that's text book boarding:

Bergeron was facing the boards because that's where the puck was. Jones not only had time to avoid the hit, but he used his arms to force Bergeron "violently" into the boards. That's not a "freak accident", that's boarding.

And for those who say Bergeron shouldn't have been facing the boards, what do you propose? Players must come from the side when playing a puck on the boards? C'mon. The boarding rule is there for a reason, and this is it.

- Jeff

Edited by squishyx

Well, that's how the rules are drafted:

So there you have it. It's not "either it's a penalty or it isn't". The rules allow different incidents to be treated differently based on severity of the infraction and the severity and nature of any injury to the receiving player. If you have a problem with that, that's legit, but it's a problem with the rules themselves.

- Jeff

Edited by squishyx