The Season May Be Lost

smelly

Elias and Gomez have played with physical players before, didn't do much. Marshall is probably the smallest and least physical of our checking forwards. Rheaume, Stevenson, and Mckenzie are all tougher and better hitters, Rupp can be if he applies himself. Marshall is like Pandolfo only a better skater & a better passer, but he's not intimidating and won't open up any ice.

he was a depth player added to the roster as Lou prepared for another trade.

What the Devils needed was Selanne, too bad the deal fell apart.

Of course he is sammyk, so was Mogilny. He succeeded too.

Now, after debunking that..

Rheaume, Stevenson, and McKenzie are not better hitters, and Rupp is not either. You really have no idea what I am talking about here, do you? Stevenson is slow, McKenzie is slower, Rheaume is not very fast either, and Rupp is a project who doesn't know how to play in position. The key elements are speed and physical ability, Marshall possesses both, plus a good offensive sense. He also has better balance on his skates than Rheaume, is a better player in front of the net, and better on-ice vision, not to mention Rheaume, Rupp, and McKenzie would be playing on their off-wing on the top line.

With Marshall, I expect Elias and Gomez to be better than they have all this year. This is not the player they needed, but it's 'better' than getting Selanne in some way.. it puts the onus on Gomez and Elias to be the players they're capable of being.

By the way, has anyone noticed that Grant Marshall looks like Stephen Baldwin?

Marshall is definitely not a better hitter than Stevenson & McKenzie when they take the body, he's just not strong enough, the guy seems a little scrawny and bounces off of everything he hits. But he does have the skating edge(not very impressive when you consider our plodders) and is a better passer. He's a more talented Jay Pandolfo.

for all we know he could be off the Elias line tomorrow

i agree, no selanne puts the onus on Elias and Gomez, but that's not necessarily a good thing

that's true, but Marshall is about the same size, has the same skating style and the hands of stone, so that's why I make the comparison.

every player has been tried with Elias or Gomez, or both of them together, this is Marshalls turn through the revolving door.

that's true, but Marshall is about the same size, has the same skating style and the hands of stone, so that's why I make the comparison.

every player has been tried with Elias or Gomez, or both of them together, this is Marshalls turn through the revolving door.

You don't see the difference?

There is a HUGE difference. This is a guy who can HELP Gomez or Elias rather than merely benefiting and not contributing.

Bicek and Gionta can't help them. Too small.

Rupp can't help them, not enough NHL sense yet.

Stevenson can't help them, although he'll give it the mighty try.

Rheame can't help them, he's really a fourth-liner and just doesn't fit on this level.

Marshall is the best guy who has been put with them all season. I don't think it's a big coincidence that that line accounted for four points the other night.

So when Brylin comes back, would you put him with Elias & Gomez, and put Marshall down with Madden's line - or vice versa?

Well, I would put him on Madden's line.

But it wouldn't be a huge crime to see him with Gomez and Elias.

I expect the timing to develop with Marshall to make that a non-issue prior to his return though. Cause already they're showing us something.