Random Thoughts & Stuff

sammyk

Is anyone into hot sauce? I have a pair of what I believe to be reasonably rare Blair's reserves I'd like to try to sell, though beyond posting here and on my facebook, I'm not sure what avenues to take to determine how much these should typically sell for on eBay or wherever.

So yeah, any hot sauce connoisseurs?

Accents are funny.

I was born and raised in Jersey, lived there my whole life. I was aware of the Jersey accent, but never really noticed it. Even when I went away to school in South Jersey where people struggle with the letter O, the typical Jersey accent never really stood out to me.

But now that I've been in Maryland for just one year, I can't believe how much the Jersey accent sticks out to me. My own parents, whom I practically learned the English language from, sound foreign now. Every time I hear my Mom say the word "dog", I feel like she's a complete stranger. "Who are you? My mother doesn't sound like a stereotype! What evil wizardry is this?!"

Conversely, the Maryland accent is killing me. There are similar struggles with the letter O as there were in South Jersey, but it goes beyond that. The city Baltimore is pronounced like something closer to Baw-di-moowr. The word "on" is "oo-wn". That might not sound like much, but when someone uses the phrase "on and on and on" it sounds so damned weird. And the phrase "hold on" too. It's like "hode oo-wn".

It's only been a year, and the voice in my head is starting to speak in a Maryland accent. I'm lucky I'm catching it before it comes out my mouth, but I'm afraid it might not last much longer. I feel like Dr. Jekyll trying to hold in Mr. Hyde. HOLD in. Not HODE in. Hold. Deep breath. Don't forget to pronounce the L. Hold.

Stupid accents.

In my year and a half going to college down south, I have become hyper-aware of my Jersey accent. I never thought I had much of an accent- I don't say stuff like "Joisey," or anything completely outrageous. Yet I've learned (after being told by other people, particularly southerners) that I pronounce words like "chocolate" and "coffee" funny. Apparently I say "chawcolate" and "cawfee."

So... I di dn't post this before because I figured no way -- and I still think no way.... but - this fall I saw this dude... we were about to enter a fullstop traffic jam but those who knew the back roads got off of 78 -- and this guy... who peripherally (we were in the lane next to him turning left) I see as an old curmudgeon... he's driving all pushy and bossy driving down the breakdown lane to where the lane branches into 2 parts cutting people off all self-important - directing traffic flow with his black mercedes sedan - like he knows the way because he's a rich old fart who's lived long enough. Some NJ "Oh no you don'ts" cut him off though so he lays on the horn as if to say he knows better than they do ...

It's all very amusing... but then I look full on at the guy .... and it's a big fit middle aged guy shouting, dimples flashing, and a goatee... and I think Oh you've GOT to be kidding me... that CANNOT be Scott Stevens acting like that - he's turning toward 22 for one thing... and I dont see him driving a old man car mercedes for another. but in that article... If that picture is of him this fall... with his 11pt buck... dude tell me you do NOT have a black mercedes... I laughed, didn't get grumpy - this guy was highly amusing trapped with his rage at no one listening or understanding his bossiness :lol:

AWWEEE... my friend who lives past Easton PA even just moped in for coffee - he's usually in by 7:30! His drive in was hell today down 78... I think it's a message to me to lighten up on folks with relatively mild and resposible road rage :evil:

What kind of accent do you have?

This is a fun quiz. Needless to say I do not have a NJ accent

I got The Inland North. :angry:

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

so... I think my husband bought me a spinning wheel for Christmas.

it's expensive and I'm a lazy pig. He's such a busy body and always has a productive hobby going on...

and that rabbit fur is a bitch to spin... I love the rabbits. They are so damm cute.

OH... we ate our first hen this past weekend. She was an egg eater. We quarantined her and she still ate her own eggs -- never stopped. She was so sweet though. It sucked. My husband is beyond awesome. His bird hunting taught him a lot so he's just very humane. She never panicked - I was so glad for her. He loves animals.

Reading the Stevens article -- my husband is just more my speed. They are SOO similar and if they were buddies Stevens would never catch on to what a softy my husband is... just like I never catch on to his closet bloodlust (not really but...) I just love my husband's personality. Stevens is so close in so many ways but my husband is just perfect for me :wub: My husband is more of a farmer. Stevens it seems is more tolerant of stuff like cold, being alone, taking down big game. My husbands can't escape our brotherhood with animals. He's a predator alright but he takes very little joy after the fact. My husband would hate taking down a big buck. He would enjoy the accomplishment and it's just COOL. but he'd also want to have not ended such a majestic creatures reign, you know? He's more like the Queen (what a stupid movie -- but that Buck part of the story line was awesome).

I dont get my husband though sometimes -- it's like he can tell me things he doesn't show to other people. He called all sad because a friend at the lodge he was staying in up in Maine this fall took down a big moose. My husband was all sad because moose are such huge beings. They have very little fear so they're not so hard to bag... they're mean as sin so they ain't easy... but... he was just sad. BUT he came home with all these pictures posing with the moose all happy. I thought WTF!??? So then he grins a sheepish grin and says well yeah-- but it's COOL!

We decided there is no way we can EVER have pigs. You know and it's lame because we eat pork. Well.. we are friends with our pigs and lambs and cows we just don't butcher them ourselves and stuff. anyhow... so that's what I thought about at work today :P

I got The Inland North. :angry:

of course me too. but that's kind of a no brainer.

Just to weigh in on the accent conversation, I used to have a pretty strong North Jersey accent. Had all the "cauwfee" and "chauwcolate" that everyone knows, plus the Italian neighborhood beats. Not quite Goodfellas, but there were traces of it. After doing radio in college, that accent has completely disappeared. Nothing makes you more aware of your voice than listening to yourself talk on tape. Most people who hear me talk can't even tell where I'm from anymore. Kinda sad, but for a while there I was considering a career in broadcasting and if you want to go anywhere in that biz, you can not have an accent.

As for the South Jersey thing, people from certain parts of Philly have that exact same "o-wahn" instead of "on". Accents are interesting!

If it was Stevens, he probably woulda gotten out and laid his shoulder into the cars that cut him off, totalling them and pointing to other cars while saying "You're next".

fvckin awesome thought process there. Made me think, Stevens would SOooo lay out Norris. And it also made me think ... You know why Chuck Norris never skates? Cuz he doesn't wanna run into Stevens and end up like Lindros!

so... I think my husband bought me a spinning wheel for Christmas.

That's SO awesome!

jpwpwj.jpg

... I was considering a career in broadcasting and if you want to go anywhere in that biz, you can not have an accent.

I'd think it would be a nice way to differentiate yourself from the crowd, as long as you are not incoherent!

fvckin awesome thought process there. Made me think, Stevens would SOooo lay out Norris. And it also made me think ... You know why Chuck Norris never skates? Cuz he doesn't wanna run into Stevens and end up like Lindros!

haha I used to take those old Chuck Norris jokes and replace him with Scott Stevens. Like ...

On the first day, God said "Let there be light!" And Scott Stevens said "Say please."

Some of them sorta ended up evolving. For example ...

Before he goes to sleep, the Boogey Man check under his bed for Chuck Norris.

Before he goes to sleep, the Boogey Man checks under his bed for Scott Stevens.

Before he goes to sleep, Eric Lindros checks under his bed for Scott Stevens.

The rear window kinda says "Chevy" to me, but the body kinda says Dodge.

But the whole package sez Land Rover to me, but I'm totally guess'n, watch it turn out to be a Ford.

Where'd ya see it?

The rear window kinda says "Chevy" to me, but the body kinda says Dodge.

But the whole package sez Land Rover to me, but I'm totally guess'n, watch it turn out to be a Ford.

Where'd ya see it?

I thought it was a oversized Honda Element at first. Then the tail lights looked like an Audi. It did look a Land Rover to me too but no badging anywhere and I didn't notice an oval Land Rover logo on the sticker.

I saw it on a truck in a random shopping center parking lot. There were two of them on there, the other black. There were three other random cars on the truck too but weren't new.