Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

What do they plan to show on that big screen anyway? I haven't noticed anything interesting so far.

It would be great when they make the Finals and play the game on the big screen.

What do they plan to show on that big screen anyway? I haven't noticed anything interesting so far.

I drive by the screen almost every day.. They usually mix commercials in with clips of the Devils.. Isn't there like a parking lot in that space right now? So the Devils will remove the parking lot they built for Triangle Park? Seems weird they didn't just build this thing in the first place.. I hope it gets off the ground soon.. Things have a way of being forgotten about if they aren't started

I spoke with a surveyor in regards to the Link a few weeks back. It doesn't seem any different than the Gateway Center, and spits you out further from the arena than GC does. In inclement weather, its useless, but I admittedly don't know much about it other than the drawings I've seen.

Also, the space at the base of the parking deck is being turned into a cafe, set to open shortly.

The reel problem with the "link" proposal is it entirely relies on public dollars. The overpass as well as the parking lot land that will form triangle park are owned by Edison Parking, and I can assure you that they are not handing over anything unless they get paid. The whole projects surrounding the park is deeply tied into Edison's land and they aren't going to do anything unless they are pretty much bribed to do so. What I have been happy to see is a bunch of smaller projects like arena BBQ. The hardest part to swallow is the lack of new Hotels which are vital to Newark's transition to a residential downtown. There were two on the drawing boards two years ago and both have been scrapped.

I spoke with a surveyor in regards to the Link a few weeks back. It doesn't seem any different than the Gateway Center, and spits you out further from the arena than GC does. In inclement weather, its useless, but I admittedly don't know much about it other than the drawings I've seen.

Also, the space at the base of the parking deck is being turned into a cafe, set to open shortly.

I can't believe I never noticed that space! It's a great idea to put one there and I hope it has open air seating.. I would definitely go there

Great info, Quade! I have been wondering about the space below that deck and I'm glad that something's going in. Just hope that the Brick City B&G people don't go after these guys legally for the very similar name "Brick City Cafe".

The real problem with the "link" proposal is it entirely relies on public dollars. The overpass as well as the parking lot land that will form triangle park are owned by Edison Parking, and I can assure you that they are not handing over anything unless they get paid. The whole projects surrounding the park is deeply tied into Edison's land and they aren't going to do anything unless they are pretty much bribed to do so. What I have been happy to see is a bunch of smaller projects like arena BBQ. The hardest part to swallow is the lack of new Hotels which are vital to Newark's transition to a residential downtown. There were two on the drawing boards two years ago and both have been scrapped.

?

Oh I forgot to post this link. This broker represents some of the buildings that have been posted up: http://www.squarefoot.com/Current_Listings.asp

Some of the cool ones include the building at the corner of Edison and Broad.

Hey, great stuff thiswontwork. That Paramount Tower would be great if it went through, although I'd want the Paramount Theater to be restored and then put the tower on the side or in back. Also, two other listings show the buildings that would be consumed into that tower (the theater and the building to the right of it) for discount stores. Boo!

Does "The Link" seem like its a go if they're still out there surveying it in this economy? In regards to Gateway, they really should move the skybridge from Penn Station into Gateway, underground. The skywalk there really ruins the facade of Penn Station. Make it a well lit underground tunnel and it would definitely improve the image of that area.

Here's how I see The Link.

Good:

-Eases congestion in Gateway, but still have backup option of Gateway if its bad weather

-Takes traffic off of the street: Less people crossing 21-> cars don't have to stop as much -> better traffic flow

- Connects Downtown to Ironbound better -> more people patronize Ironbound-> soccer crowd from Red Bull Arena can come over to restaurants around the arena better

-More of a purpose for Triangle Park which increases prospects of development around it

-More direct connection to arena rather than clueless people navigating the streets and the labyrinth of Gateway -> more people willing to take the train

-Focal point

Bad:

-Blocks screen: the current plan has to be fixed (I'm sure Vanderbeek will ask for them to correct this flaw)

In regards to the screen, they need to find a solution so that it would be possible to make a game watchable on there next time the Devils go far in the playoffs. It would be nice to do something like they have in Pittsburgh where the fans can watch the game outside the arena. Imagine having thousands of Devils fans outside watching the game in Triangle Park on the screen and have a pregame concert out there too. That would be nice, to have a summer concert series out there as well.

There should be a section of Triangle Park where there could be tailgating. That, and the tunnel, are the two things that I miss from The Swamp.

Once the MSG contract is up, and the Nets are hopefully in Newark, the Devils, Nets, Seton Hall Basketball, Ironmen, Red Bulls, and, heck, even throw some Newark Bears games on there, should have like a Newark Sports Network or something like that and have the studio in a storefront in Triangle Park with the background being the park with the arena (like how SNY shows the street in the background). That would really be amazing.

Edited by The Rock 07

I drove past the parking deck and saw the cafe space there.. I wanted to stop but I was late for work as usual.. It looks great and I think a lot of people would stop there for dessert and a hot drink after games..

Triangle Park looks awesome but they will have to get rid of parking space and do some serious work to level off the ground.. If you drive by on 21 you will see what I mean

In regards to Gateway, they really should move the skybridge from Penn Station into Gateway, underground. The skywalk there really ruins the facade of Penn Station. Make it a well lit underground tunnel and it would definitely improve the image of that area.

And screw up the PATH Gateway employees' ease of getting to work? Honestly, I don't know how the image is bad.

In regards to the screen, they need to find a solution so that it would be possible to make a game watchable on there next time the Devils go far in the playoffs. It would be nice to do something like they have in Pittsburgh where the fans can watch the game outside the arena. Imagine having thousands of Devils fans outside watching the game in Triangle Park on the screen and have a pregame concert out there too. That would be nice, to have a summer concert series out there as well.

A real TV screen with no gaps in between would be nice.

Edited by Marv4Life

And screw up the PATH Gateway employees' ease of getting to work? Honestly, I don't know how the image is bad.

If it was underground, it wouldn't be any more difficult. Those skywalks were built right after the riots in the 60's so people going into Gateway wouldn't have to go on the streets of Newark. If that skywalk came down, it would represent that the city is safe.

A real TV screen with no gaps in between would be nice.

i HATE those gaps.. if you are closer than 200 yds to the screen it's just unwatchable and you have to be looking directly at it and not from the side too... The only good thing I can think of is it lets light in the giant window and lets people in the arena see out.. So why do the computer images of the Rock show a complete screen but they installed a segmented one?

In my opinion they should build an underground parking deck, similar to what they have under Military Park, beneath Triangle Park, with an entrance/exit at a light at McCarter Highway going under the staircase from the Link. That would greatly help development of hotels and office buildings on that strip.

If it was underground, it wouldn't be any more difficult. Those skywalks were built right after the riots in the 60's so people going into Gateway wouldn't have to go on the streets of Newark. If that skywalk came down, it would represent that the city is safe.

But they've done a lot with the Gateway since then: the Hilton, new retail, sports bar, a New York Sports Club, etc. What about the new skywalk across Railroad Avenue and McCarter Hwy leading to Triangle Park? Wouldn't that represent a negative stereotype?

In my opinion they should build an underground parking deck, similar to what they have under Military Park, beneath Triangle Park, with an entrance/exit at a light at McCarter Highway going under the staircase from the Link. That would greatly help development of hotels and office buildings on that strip.

Yeah and make it a huge one. That way people won't have to park further away and it would ease the traffic/pedestrian flow downtown during event/game nights.

Edited by Marv4Life

Skywalks across McCarter Highway are fine. Its a dangerous enough street to cross without them (and no one who drives that road would argue for longer pedestrian lights). The major problem with Gateway is the lack of any ground level retail. It occupies too much space in downtown Newark to not have any ground level retail.

But they've done a lot with the Gateway since then: the Hilton, new retail, sports bar, a New York Sports Club, etc. What about the new skywalk across Railroad Avenue and McCarter Hwy leading to Triangle Park? Wouldn't that represent a negative stereotype?

Good point, but the Link would make a better image because it will prevent people from crossing the highway, will connect downtown to the Ironbound and would spark development around Triangle Park and that new development would make a nice image for Newark.

I have to say that this is actually quite an interesting idea, I think if the Newark Parking authority were able to bond for it, that would be a terrific location with the link providing access directly the Newark Penn. I rember a large complaint in regards to building in Downtown Newark being that the city required them to build parking complexes.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay that didn't work like I had planned.. lets try this out. http://glocallynewark.com/

Also hope everyone enjoys the draft party today and gets out and about as well.

Thanks for the link. Sounds like a nice affair. Pretty cool that Mayor Booker goes on that site. I'll be at the draft party tonight rocking my red "The Rock 07" jersey if anyone wants to stop by and say hello.

Well today was a big day! The awesome draft party, the Nets may be put up for sale, and more news on the entry plaza or how it is now known "Rock Plaza". At the draft party today, there was a stand set up to sell engraved pavers for the floor of Rock Plaza. They showed a design for it as well. Looks VERY nice. Construction is set to start at the end of July and to be completed in time for opening night.

Here's pricing:

Paver Brick Options Price

4 x 8 Paver Brick with with Text Only

(3 Lines, 20 Characters per line) $150

4 x 8 Paver Brick with with Logo and Text

(2 Lines, 20 Characters per line) $175

8 x 8 Paver Brick with Text Only

(6 Lines, 20 Characters per line) $275

8 x 8 Paver Brick with Logo and Text

(4 Lines, 20 Characters per line) $295

4 x 8 Display Case

(For the Complimentary Replica Brick) $44.95

8 x 8 Display Case

(For the Complimentary Replica Brick) $59.95

For each commemorative brick purchased you will receive an authentic replica brick.

And look at those guidelines... sheesh.

No use of or reference to current or former players, coaches or other personnel of the Devils, NHL, or any other Team.

No derogatory messages regarding any individual or entity.

There goes my benidict blowmez, ranger$ s*ck, quitter brick.... :saddevil:

Here's a link and this looks really awesome and I'm glad to see progress on it. Devils Bricks

Also, here's a link I saw on a banner on a building next to Rock Plaza that advertises the buildings there. Blauberg: Rock Plaza

General Guidelines

It is important to note that messages engraved on the bricks may not be harmful to the image of the Devils, NHL, or Prudential Center. See established guidelines below for inscriptions:

1. No obscenities or profanities.

2. No acronyms that could be construed as obscene or profane.

3. No derogatory messages (explicit or implied) based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin or sexual orientation.

4. No sexually explicit messages or double entendre.

5. No derogatory messages regarding the Team, other team(s), NHL, Prudential Center or the City of Newark.

6. No use of or reference to current or former players, coaches or other personnel of the Devils, NHL, or any other Team.

7. No derogatory messages regarding any individual or entity.

8. No messages detrimental to the project.

9. No political messages.

10. No commercial messages or advertising.

Jeez, there goes just about everything I heard in 232 in 07-08. Honestly, it's a pretty cool thing if you've got the money. It's just hard to come up with something creative to fill two or three lines and get your name in as well.