Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

And their name to New Jersey Diablos just for hilarity.

check out the brains on Brad!

I've been thinking about going to Seton Hall just so I could go to a sh!tload of devils games. hows the dorms by the rock?

Don't pick a college because you want to go to hockey games.

Seriously.

If Seton Hall is where you want to go because of the school, and proximity to Newark is a fringe benefit, then sure. But don't make it the main reason, or even one of the top reasons. You probably won't be able to afford to go to as many games as you think you'll go to as a poor college student anyway. :P

Seriously.

If Seton Hall is where you want to go because of the school, and proximity to Newark is a fringe benefit, then sure. But don't make it the main reason, or even one of the top reasons. You probably won't be able to afford to go to as many games as you think you'll go to as a poor college student anyway. :P

You lie because you wish you thought of this first. WHATEVA, I DO WHA I WANNNNT

Seriously.

Indeed. Karma will bitch-slap you and you'll never have time to get in the $10 ticket line. :P

Anyone know anything about the Port City Brew Pub on Commerce? I heard they are shooting for September 1st, but I don't know how reliable the source is, so I didn't mention it.

I love that building that it's in. Very Venetian. There are a lot of buildings in downtown that are hidden gems. Like the bank looking building on the West side of Beaver Street.

Is this the restaurant that Rich Codey was going to put in. A steakhouse with a rooftop tiki bar if I remember correctly? Or is this a new place?

I love that building that it's in. Very Venetian. There are a lot of buildings in downtown that are hidden gems. Like the bank looking building on the West side of Beaver Street.

Is this the restaurant that Rich Codey was going to put in. A steakhouse with a rooftop tiki bar if I remember correctly? Or is this a new place?

The bankish building you're talking about is the Beaver Mansion. I've heard numerous stories about it being transformed into a bar/restaurant, and then converting all of Beaver Street into a little dining strip with other cuisine. Thus far, it's all hearsay, and it remains a glorified alley that smells like old fish, which is unintentionally hilarious, considering the name. Never heard anything abut a tiki bar though.

As for other hidden gem buildings nearby, you've got the old Foot Locker building on the corner of Broad and Edison (also rumored to be anything ranging from a first floor restaurant with apartments above to a hotel), pretty much any building on Green Street across from the parking lot/Layfayette entrance to the building, and a few random places around NJPac/Park Place. They're everywhere. If pipe dreams were money...

Well the owner of the Port City Brew pub speaks with the Killkennys guys and last I heard the city was giving him a hard time on permits. The building that Codey is involved in is 60 Park which has been opened for about a year. The last building on the south East side of commerce between Broad and Mullberry is the one that was slated to be turned into a steak house. If you ask the Scully/Mcgovern group they say it's moving along.

The old Foot Locker building is owned by the Brick City building owners who also own the last two buildings on the South East corner of Market between Broad and Mullberry. They received zoning approval to do a apartment/hotel complex with restaurant at the base (if I remeber correctly they received approval for 41 units?) I think most of the projects have slowed down because the banking industry does not want to touch construction financing right now.

Well the owner of the Port City Brew pub speaks with the Killkennys guys and last I heard the city was giving him a hard time on permits. The building that Codey is involved in is 60 Park which has been opened for about a year. The last building on the south East side of commerce between Broad and Mullberry is the one that was slated to be turned into a steak house. If you ask the Scully/Mcgovern group they say it's moving along.

The old Foot Locker building is owned by the Brick City building owners who also own the last two buildings on the South East corner of Market between Broad and Mullberry. They received zoning approval to do a apartment/hotel complex with restaurant at the base (if I remeber correctly they received approval for 41 units?) I think most of the projects have slowed down because the banking industry does not want to touch construction financing right now.

A steakhouse would definitely attract fans before and after games.. Nothing like 12oz of beef to celebrate a win or comfort a (rare) loss

Thanks for the update! Thiswontwork, back on the last page I posted a couple of links of developments around the arena; one of which consists of the two buildings on Market that you mentioned. In that plan, it shows that they would connect a few buildings on Market and double them in height. Do you know if that's what the owners are actually going through on doing? Also on those links are the two remaining unrenovated buildings on Edison. Do you know if those are going through as well or if they are just proposals with no substance behind them?

Thanks again I always enjoy your updates. I am glad about the Foot Locker building as I have thought for years that a Cass Gilbert building should be renovated. That building would make a great Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn. In Indianapolis, there is a Hilton Garden Inn that is in a building that is very similar to the Foot Locker one.

Edited by The Rock 07

Here's a photo gallery of that Hilton Garden Inn in Indy that is similar to the Foot Locker building. Hilton Garden Inn: Indianapolis

Here's an interesting photo gallery of Newark that shows the older buildings in town. To me, it sure looks much better in person.

Skyscraper Page Forum

Edited by The Rock 07

Hey all!

I came across this little presentation on the effects of "The Link" on Newark. "The Link", I'm assuming, is the new term for the Triangle Park development of which Triangle Park is a part of. It shows the change in pedestrian traffic if Triangle Park was built and the development effects as well. This was made this past January so it is pretty current and it appears to have been made by Edison Properties which shows that they have interest in developing the site. So take a look-see through this; it's an interesting presentation.

"The Link" Presentation

Hey all!

I came across this little presentation on the effects of "The Link" on Newark. "The Link", I'm assuming, is the new term for the Triangle Park development of which Triangle Park is a part of. It shows the change in pedestrian traffic if Triangle Park was built and the development effects as well. This was made this past January so it is pretty current and it appears to have been made by Edison Properties which shows that they have interest in developing the site. So take a look-see through this; it's an interesting presentation.

"The Link" Presentation

Looks like a great project if it's seen through to completion. Would go a long way in improving the game day experience, too, especially come playoff time. Might actually make the Rock and surrounding areas a day-long destination on a regular basis.

Looks like a great project if it's seen through to completion. Would go a long way in improving the game day experience, too, especially come playoff time. Might actually make the Rock and surrounding areas a day-long destination on a regular basis.

And I really want to see that.. I mean the Devils being in Newark is doing little right now because the people with money come in from the suburbs and go right into the arena, and then after the game they immediately leave.. To really revitalize Newark you need the people with money to stay and spend it in shops and such.. I work out of Newark a lot for my summer job and every time I drive through I look around and invision people eating at restaurants with sidewalk seating, nice shops, and an overall inviting feel to it.. I really want to see Newark surge back to the rich city it once was.. Before the Devils, I couldn't give a sh*t about it, so they definitely are bringing change

Hey all!

"The Link" Presentation

Looks great BUT my only complaint would be the proposed office/hotel buildings blocking the view of the big screen on the PruCenter. If they could maybe design them so that the view is still wide, then perfect. Otherwise, having the video screen open to just the narrow width of triangle park would mean missing out on a lot of potential viewers.

Edited by devlman

Looks great BUT my only complaint would be the proposed office/hotel buildings blocking the view of the big screen on the PruCenter. If they could maybe design them so that the view is still wide then perfect. Otherwise, having the video screen open to just the narrow width of triangle park would mean missing out on a lot of potential viewers.

It looks like that was the original plan, but they've been tweaked a little. Check out these pages from the '07-08 Season Ticket brochure. Not only does Triangle Park actually look like a triangle, but this Link is called the Ironbound Bridge.

prucenter11.jpg

prucenter1.jpg

Same things, just a little different. You're right though, this new plan does look like it's gonna cut off the view of some of the big screen.

Yeah forgot that was the original plan...I just think of all Train riders, and drivers on the highways that will have views of the screen blocked. That screen really serves as a good promotional for the arena, as well as providing visibility and recognition.

What do they plan to show on that big screen anyway? I haven't noticed anything interesting so far.

ads. I really think it's meant to be seen from the Turnpike, just to get people's attention. only problem is that the barriers on the Turnpike are too high. :rofl: