Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

Here's a large photo update from Saturday. I may be going down there tomorrow on my way to Philly for the D'Backs game to see the statue which is being installed today as reported by devilsadvoc8.

The backside of Richardson Lofts where they were building a driveway to the building.

IMG_2798.jpg

Road work on the corner of Lafayette and Mulberry.

IMG_2804.jpg

Space available on the last building on Market backing to Championship Plaza. I'm making the assumption that construction is starting on it soon then.

IMG_2874.jpg

Championship Plaza. Looks amazing and note that there is work going on at 45 Edison Place.

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

Brickwork

IMG_2929.jpg

Championship Plaza

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

Nice stonework. Looked like granite to me.

IMG_2965.jpg

The type of brick used on the plaza.

IMG_2974.jpg

Inside 45 Edison.

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

Work continues on the PNC Bank. (Red paint on walls and blacked-up glass around ATM window)

IMG_2980-1.jpg

A look down Edison Place.

IMG_3001.jpg

Thanks.. what are the wooden 2x4's being put up behind the plaza?

I'm guessing that it is the beginning of the refacing of that building. But it seems like a rather primitive method, don't ya think?

xy_9F2EFF43-8A04-4F61-A32A-C9819D4A96D9__.JPG

Also, here's a link to the thread on the installation of the statue. I thought it deserved its own thread.

22-foot-tall hockey player sculpture installed at Prudential Center

Edited by The Rock 07

I'm not sure I follow you. Can you expound on that?

Sorry about the delay, I am saying that the management team retained to run the arena will decide the involvement of another venue. If they retain the same company as the Devils, I see a win win as I would imagine they would want to do as much as possible to maximize their revenue and therefor cross promotions would make sense. If another company is retained they could feel threatened and act like our friends over in the meadowlands and look to undercut the arena (although they technically don't' compete I'm sure there are some events that could view both venues as suitable).

I'm guessing that it is the beginning of the refacing of that building. But it seems like a rather primitive method, don't ya think?

xy_9F2EFF43-8A04-4F61-A32A-C9819D4A96D9__.JPG

Also, here's a link to the thread on the installation of the statue. I thought it deserved its own thread.

22-foot-tall hockey player sculpture installed at Prudential Center

Kind of makes you wonder what the final design will look like as the park designs didnt seem to encourage the building to face toward it but rather towards Edison. It is encouraging to see the steal structure which means the building is less likely to be demolished. Oh and on another note I came into Newark International the other night and was amazed at how much i could see on the Devils arena screen.

Ok, I'm bored. I have a few questions that others may have some info on.

1. I remember hearing that Brick City Bar & Grill was rehabbing the upstairs and making it another bar/eating area. Can't find anything on it. I like the place, but it is way to small to hang there pre-game for me. Especially for price they charge for a beer. Wouldn't mind the extra $ if there was some more room to stand or getting a table without a reservation. Anyone know anything?

2. Where I like to park, I have to leave by 21 to Bridge St to 280. They've been fixing the on-ramp for 21 onto 280 for as long as I've been going that way. Is that project supposed to be over anytime soon? Or has it been closed forever? It would save ALOT of time not having to go over the bridge into harrison.

3.I've been to Scully's a few times pre-game and once post game. I like going here except for one thing. There is no music playing ever. Maybe its just me, but I find it really weird to be in a bar with no music at all. They have tv's on but they wont even turn their sound on either. If there is no music at least let me hear the post game show. I wont lie, after a couple you kinda don't notice it. But I would like some background tunes or tv. Anyone else feel this way? Maybe we can email them and see if they'll change it

4. The infamous upstairs bar at the Rock. Any updates?

Thanks for any answers.

3.I've been to Scully's a few times pre-game and once post game. I like going here except for one thing. There is no music playing ever. Maybe its just me, but I find it really weird to be in a bar with no music at all. They have tv's on but they wont even turn their sound on either. If there is no music at least let me hear the post game show. I wont lie, after a couple you kinda don't notice it. But I would like some background tunes or tv. Anyone else feel this way? Maybe we can email them and see if they'll change it

I'm pretty sure they've been playing music every time I've ever gone to Scully's (which is pretty often ... that and The Spot are my favorite pre- and post-game bars). I even specifically recall several occasions where they played the satellite radio station that's non-stop AC/DC.

4. The infamous upstairs bar at the Rock. Any updates?

I haven't heard anything since one random, ambiguous comment from Vanderbeek like a year and a half ago. Maybe this is what's going into that mysterious open space up top behind section 225? Or maybe it'll go into that oft-ignored, wide open space upstairs behind the giant outdoor video screen? Or maybe it just ain't happenin'?

I'm pretty sure they've been playing music every time I've ever gone to Scully's (which is pretty often ... that and The Spot are my favorite pre- and post-game bars). I even specifically recall several occasions where they played the satellite radio station that's non-stop AC/DC.

Thats good to hear. I swear I've never heard any kind of sound in there except for people talking. At least 4 times I've been there. Maybe it was just a big coincidence. If I could get some tunes, I'd probably go there every time. Love the classic rock at BCB&G, but like I said, too small for that many people in there. They must turn away so much money from the people walking out when they hear the wait time for a table on game night.

Hows the spot pre-game? Haven't been there yet?

Hows the spot pre-game? Haven't been there yet?

The Spot hasn't really caught on yet, so if you're looking for elbow room you'll find plenty of it there. If you like friendly staff and bottled beer (they can't run keg lines), give it a shot. I went once, made friends with the owner and get hooked up every time I go.

Just got this in an email from Brick City Bar & Grill tonight:

BCBG has been building out the second floor of our restaurant and anticipate opening the upstairs within the coming weeks. The second floor at BCBG will feature a full bar and full kitchen to ensure that our guests receive the best service possible while enjoying a meal or drinks at BCBG. Check out our website for pictures of the expansion.

That's great to hear, glad they'll be able to fit more people in the place soon.

Just got this in an email from Brick City Bar & Grill tonight:

BCBG has been building out the second floor of our restaurant and anticipate opening the upstairs within the coming weeks. The second floor at BCBG will feature a full bar and full kitchen to ensure that our guests receive the best service possible while enjoying a meal or drinks at BCBG. Check out our website for pictures of the expansion.

That's great to hear, glad they'll be able to fit more people in the place soon.

How are the drink prices there? I cannot wait to turn 21 and go to a bar before games

I cant wait for Opening Night....I love the PruCenter and all the new entertainment options around. Lets not take it for granted. Remember what CAA was like.

Trust me the best is yet to come. Many of the suronding buildings are primed for rennovations but the economics do not work just yet. Over the next 5-10 years as the arena fills outs it's dates (reaches a 250 event like schedule) you will see restaurant owners come in as they can make money on that. Ultimatly what I really would like to see is places like Scullys, 60 park, and other locally owned venue succeed because that is what makes cities unique.

Trust me the best is yet to come. Many of the suronding buildings are primed for rennovations but the economics do not work just yet. Over the next 5-10 years as the arena fills outs it's dates (reaches a 250 event like schedule) you will see restaurant owners come in as they can make money on that. Ultimatly what I really would like to see is places like Scullys, 60 park, and other locally owned venue succeed because that is what makes cities unique.

Ah, 60 Park. That's a nice place, but the two times I've been there the place was barren. Methinks it's a little too far from the arena and a little too close to the PAC to draw the sports crowds. I'd love to be wrong though.

Ah, 60 Park. That's a nice place, but the two times I've been there the place was barren. Methinks it's a little too far from the arena and a little too close to the PAC to draw the sports crowds. I'd love to be wrong though.

Well 60 park has had two prior failed restaurants and is just a difficult spot to be successful if it's not a magnet spot. I don't think the place has enough that it feels like a "sports bar" with tables and video games ect. In a location like that you need to be a draw restaurant that is doing somethign special that will pull people to go there.

Well 60 park has had two prior failed restaurants and is just a difficult spot to be successful if it's not a magnet spot. I don't think the place has enough that it feels like a "sports bar" with tables and video games ect. In a location like that you need to be a draw restaurant that is doing somethign special that will pull people to go there.

Great points. The place does kinda have a bit of a bland atmosphere. I never went there to eat so I don't know much about the menu, but considering how much seating there is versus how small the bar itself is, I'd hope that at the very least the food would be a magnet attraction.

Great points. The place does kinda have a bit of a bland atmosphere. I never went there to eat so I don't know much about the menu, but considering how much seating there is versus how small the bar itself is, I'd hope that at the very least the food would be a magnet attraction.

I have seen alot of interest in other spots on the South Halsey corridor and some new places open up on Mulberry (one random bar that I haven't be in two blocks south of Arena) so the infill is moving along. Also did anyone see the finished side of the building on Edison. I guess the landlords refused to do anything with it and the NHA didn't want it looking like a dump....more money wasted =-(