Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

A few anti-Rock comments following that article.

Posted by NetDisaster on 03/04/09 at 2:32PM

1. St. Johns is typical of a lot of preseason games. Two years ago, the Celts and Nets played in the Worcester, MA. Civic Center. Conditions were so bad they cancelled the second half.

2. The Rock is hardly the best arena in North America. It isnt even in the top ten. Spare us the hyperbole.

Posted by hrpufnstuff on 03/04/09 at 5:17PM

NetDisaster, Let's have your top ten list, then.

Posted by NetDisaster on 03/04/09 at 6:59PM

1. Conseco Field House, Indianapolis.

2. American Airlines Center, Dallas

3. US Airways Center, Phoenix

4. The Pepsi Center, Denver

5. Staples Center, Los Angeles

6. Energy Solutions Arena, Salt Lake City

7. American Airlines Arena, Miami

8. AT&T Center, San Antonio

9. Toyota Center, Houston

10. Madison Square Garden, New York

The Rock is a very nice facility. There is of course nothing nearby...not even crime, unless you count the fees charged by the local parking lots. Customer service, I found, was first rate.

BUT it doesn't even rank in the top 20 of venues in the US, according to Billboard Magazine. I guess if you've never been anywhere, the Rock is the most beautiful.

PS the IZOD Center is the fourth most popular venue in the WORLD for non-sports events, according to Billboard.

But you provincials keep thinking what you think.

Posted by doomsdayhere on 03/04/09 at 7:17PM

The Rock is nothing but a beer garden,the Munich on Mulberry Street.Why they copied the MSG model of going up to your seats instead of down,I'll never know.With its limited exits,the Rock is in danger of fatalities if panic breaks out.

Posted by njgiants on 03/04/09 at 9:02PM

Corruption Arena. When does the PUBLIC get to see ALL the numbers on this place?

The Nets' old owners are looking to assemble $150 million to buy the Nets and move them to Newark, that is, if in two years, Brooklyn still hasn't been built. They still have a partial stake in the team and were the original advocates of moving the team to Newark, ten years ago.

I think that if they put $150 million in front of Ratner, he'll take it and run. His stock (Forest City Ranter) and Barclays's (the naming rights sponsor for the Brooklyn arena) are both under four dollars.

Get these two, Vanderbeek and Shaq and they're set!

Nets Daily

Thanks for the link! Like 95C said, I wish the image was a little bigger. But from what I can tell, it looks like the statue isn't included in this plan. It also shows where the much-rumored Devils Hall of Fame is going to be. There is also a note about the "Mulberry Plaza Alternative: outdoor ice skating rink" needing a sponsor. Lots of interesting stuff to say the least.

I'm anxious to see this come together, and see how popular outdoor attractions are during the dead of winter.

Thanks for the link! Like 95C said, I wish the image was a little bigger. But from what I can tell, it looks like the statue isn't included in this plan. It also shows where the much-rumored Devils Hall of Fame is going to be. There is also a note about the "Mulberry Plaza Alternative: outdoor ice skating rink" needing a sponsor. Lots of interesting stuff to say the least.

I'm anxious to see this come together, and see how popular outdoor attractions are during the dead of winter.

Yeah, I noticed that too . I have to believe that the statue is going to happen but I'm guessing that these plans were drawn up before they knew about the statue. Isn't the statue supposed to be installed later this month?

Edit: This is from an article from a couple of pages back... " stainless steel work scheduled to be installed at the end of March in front of the Prudential Center in Newark"

"Her son temporarily parked his partially assembled sculpture at the farm for several months, (in Booton NJ)"

Edited by The Rock 07

Yeah, I noticed that too . I have to believe that the statue is going to happen but I'm guessing that these plans were drawn up before they knew about the statue. Isn't the statue supposed to be installed later this month?

Edit: This is from an article from a couple of pages back... " stainless steel work scheduled to be installed at the end of March in front of the Prudential Center in Newark"

"Her son temporarily parked his partially assembled sculpture at the farm for several months, (in Booton NJ)"

That's what I thought too. I always guessed it was supposed to go in by the Devils and Prudential logos by the PNC Tower, but it kinda looks like they have all kinds of stuff going into that little area.

I'm kinda surprised that they have plans for the area outside the Devils Den. That's usually where the $10 ticket line forms. Could get crowded.

Well is not around the Rock, It's not even I Newark for that matter.

But the Revitalization around PATH Station in Harrison is kicking, An newark will benefit a lot from it.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey unveiled its plans Tuesday for a new PATH train station in Harrison, part of a $4 billion decade-long overhaul of the mass transit system.

The Harrison portion of the project includes razing the current station on Frank E. Rodgers Boulevard and constructing a new steel and glass structure capable of handling the significant increase in ridership expected as the town's redevelopment plans evolve.

More info;http://www.nj.com/kearnyjournal/index.ssf?....xml&coll=3

Well since they didn't actually posted any pictures on the website, i took a photo of the picture in the paper ( I don't have a a scanner ok)

The area around PATH station after the revitalization:

3351460424_d22fa18b9e_b.jpg

Edited by Cachorro Louco

Well is not around the Rock, It's not even I Newark for that matter.

But the Revitalization around PATH Station in Harrison is kicking, An newark will benefit a lot from it.

Source: http://www.nj.com/kearnyjournal/index.ssf?....xml&coll=3

Well since they didn't actually posted any pictures on the website, i took a photo of the picture in the paper ( I don't have a a scanner ok)

The area around PATH station after the revitalization:

3351460424_d22fa18b9e_b.jpg

Wow. That rendering is just a LITTLE different from the barren wasteland I now pass each morning and afternoon on PATH...

Hey! Thanks for posting this! That side of the river has so much potential... I would like to see the big warehouse next to Red Bull Arena be turned into a St. Louis Union Station-like entertainment center with stores and maybe a movie theater.

Union Station

With the Newark side revitalizing and the park along the Newark side of the river going in, and the development around RBA, this will be a great place to be.

Here's a Red Bull Arena thread...

Big Soccer

And the webcam

Earth Cam: Red Bull Arena

And Cachorro, I wouldn't quote the entire article because DM had some trouble with the Star Ledger last year about that. Thanks!

The Arena Cafe, down the block from the Arena Bar, looked to be open last game.

I'm willing to try it but I think my Dad is wary after our awful City Cafe experience last year, plus he liked Arena Bar so much.

Edited by Devils731

I'm willing to try it but I think my Dad is wary after our awful City Cafe experience last year, plus he liked Arena Bar so much.

Is this the much-rumored "sports bar" version of the Arena Lounge?

Nice! Thanks! I'll have to check it out on Friday (the day that I selfishly hope that Marty gets 552).

I don't think so. I don't even know if they're associated despite both using "Arena". It looks like a little cafe/diner type place. I would guess they just do sandwiches and smaller items on a flat grill or something like that. I tried to find some info online on them but couldn't. I'm going to try and at least pop my head in sometime soon.

I wish they'd open a new section at Arena Bar. The food is good, but there are rarely seats when I get there to eat.

I thought that I heard that it opened a couple of months ago, no?

I don't think so. I don't even know if they're associated despite both using "Arena". It looks like a little cafe/diner type place. I would guess they just do sandwiches and smaller items on a flat grill or something like that. I tried to find some info online on them but couldn't. I'm going to try and at least pop my head in sometime soon.

I wish they'd open a new section at Arena Bar. The food is good, but there are rarely seats when I get there to eat.

Is it on Mulberry Street or down Green in the direction of 21?