Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

I checked out arena cafe. I thought it was going to be diner type fare but upon walking in that obviously wasn't the case. It was doing a lot of american/moroccan dishes. Food tasted pretty good and it was a nice value for by the arena. The half chicken, fries, and salad was maybe 6 dollars and change? We'll probably check it out again but I would have preferred a more local menu for my tastes.

http://glocallynewark.com/wordpress/?p=1024

Check out my latest post on Newark. Feel free to comment and give the site a good look. A lot of the contributors find some cool things going on around town...

You know what, I just came on here to post the same link. Excellent story! I believe that we discussed the Paramount on here a couple of months ago.

Here's a link from NJ.com saying how Newark wants to get rid of the ugly signage on the buildings along Broad and Market Streets.

NJ.com

A couple things of interest. In there the owner of the Paramount discusses that he wants to convert the theater into an entertainment complex. He also says that underneath the signage on the buildings in Downtown Newark are nice facades, which is what I've been saying all along. And he also said that the owners would be forced to rehab the buildings if they removed the signage. That would improve the look of the area tremendously and would make the area more attractive to developers.

Another thing mentioned in the article is that they want coverings for rooftop machinery. They specifically mention the AC units on top of The Rock.

Let's hope that this goes through to improve the looks of "Little Havana" aka Broad and Market. Also if the Paramount restoration went through, that would be a big improvement to the area and from there maybe we could get some smaller theaters and comedy clubs which would make a pretty sweet entertainment district.

You know what, I just came on here to post the same link. Excellent story! I believe that we discussed the Paramount on here a couple of months ago.

Here's a link from NJ.com saying how Newark wants to get rid of the ugly signage on the buildings along Broad and Market Streets.

NJ.com

A couple things of interest. In there the owner of the Paramount discusses that he wants to convert the theater into an entertainment complex. He also says that underneath the signage on the buildings in Downtown Newark are nice facades, which is what I've been saying all along. And he also said that the owners would be forced to rehab the buildings if they removed the signage. That would improve the look of the area tremendously and would make the area more attractive to developers.

Another thing mentioned in the article is that they want coverings for rooftop machinery. They specifically mention the AC units on top of The Rock.

Let's hope that this goes through to improve the looks of "Little Havana" aka Broad and Market. Also if the Paramount restoration went through, that would be a big improvement to the area and from there maybe we could get some smaller theaters and comedy clubs which would make a pretty sweet entertainment district.

Wow, that's a great link, The Rock. I didn't even realize that article existed when I wrote the blog about Paramount today. Maybe it's a sign... You should add that link to the comments section of Save the Paramount blog.

No question the facade of the Paramount, and lots of other buildings in the area, looks great... or rather, it COULD. I plan on doing a follow up posting with photos of some of the details on Paramount's facade later this month.

I found a link through that site about the Richardson Lofts on Columbia St. that is supposed to open in the summer. I'm actually looking into renting and living there.

The studios are pretty affordable. I'm looking forward to getting in there when the place is finished to see how nice (or ho-hum) the place is.

I didn't see proposed prices on any of this. Can you enlighten me?

So you decide to move somewhere on a whim before seeing how much it is or anything about it? I respect that spontaneity. I have a car, girlfriend, and a copy of X-Men #1 I will sell you for cheap. Here's the link (for the loft, not my belongings):

http://www.richardsonlofts.com/

Scroll over the icon that reads: "Save $$$."

So you decide to move somewhere on a whim before seeing how much it is or anything about it? I respect that spontaneity. I have a car, girlfriend, and a copy of X-Men #1 I will sell you for cheap. Here's the link (for the loft, not my belongings):

http://www.richardsonlofts.com/

Scroll over the icon that reads: "Save $$$."

Very nice of you to give me a discount on the lady haha.

Don't need another lady though :-)

Anyway. Thank you for the link!

I'm very spontaneous thank you! haha

Can't imagine that it's gonna happen, but I'd love it if it did!

Link

Which way is the bottom photo in the link facing? You can see the Rock in the bottom left ... is that Broad Street right next to it? If so, this is really going to add a whole new dimension to the Newark skyline.

ny_city_2.jpg

Which way is the bottom photo in the link facing? You can see the Rock in the bottom left ... is that Broad Street right next to it? If so, this is really going to add a whole new dimension to the Newark skyline.

ny_city_2.jpg

It's facing the south. And yes that is Broad Street next to it. You can tell by the City Hall's golden dome just above the Rock in that photo.

I wonder how serious this is given the current credit crunch. Now would be the time to build if they can get the money together though: building material's cheap and so's the land (or at least the cheapest it'll be for a long time).

Yeah, the pessimist in me says this is just a pipe dream... but it would amazing... At least on paper.

Yeah, the pessimist in me says this is just a pipe dream... but it would amazing... At least on paper.

Remember talk to a friend when the crisis begun we conclude at that time, it would take like 5 years minimum to everything be back as normal. Now everything going Crazy nobody has clue.

Their website looks good. Why did they get rid of the brick red, though? I liked that. I think that they should become a double A or triple A affiliate to the Yankees. That way, they'd have more attention, more people would come because they would get to see players who have a better shot at the big leagues, and it would be a nice gesture towards Newark's past baseball history. They have the blue and pinstripes down, so maybe they're heading in that direction...

Their website looks good. Why did they get rid of the brick red, though? I liked that. I think that they should become a double A or triple A affiliate to the Yankees. That way, they'd have more attention, more people would come because they would get to see players who have a better shot at the big leagues, and it would be a nice gesture towards Newark's past baseball history. They have the blue and pinstripes down, so maybe they're heading in that direction...

I'm not entirely positive on this, but I think switching the red out for blue is sort of a throwback to the former Newark teams that once played in the city, be it the Yankees' minor league Bears, or the teams from the Negro Leagues. Whatever the case, though I liked the red, the blue looks sharp.