Wild Game Thread: NJ @ Minny 8:00 PM EDT

Devil Fan

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree!

With Martin back in the line up the Devils were a lot better and he did set up that nice goal by Gionta.

Salvador and Mottau are bad! Need to split them up now. Mottau has to sit and rest for a few games and put in either Greene or Rachunek.

Refs were terrible and call all these phantom calls!

Devils win anyway and got out of there with the 2 points.

BRODEUR BRODEUR BRODEUR!!! He was the best on the ice tonight!

He deserved the #1 star of the game.

1: Martin Brodeur, 2: Brent Burns, 3: Stephane Veilleux

Elias is in bad shape. I hope he is OK. Does not look good for him. Knee and wrist/arm. :saddevil:

Devils need Elias out there. Especially in Colorado.

don't fool yourself. i'm as happy about the win as anybody, but they played like garbage in the first and had a TON of breakdowns throughout the game. i'm not trying to be debbie downer, but thank brodeur and puck luck (the wild had numerous just misses at the net) for these 2 points

don't fool yourself. i'm as happy about the win as anybody, but they played like garbage in the first and had a TON of breakdowns throughout the game. i'm not trying to be debbie downer, but thank brodeur and puck luck (the wild had numerous just misses at the net) for these 2 points
Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

That pairing just doesn't have the foot speed against faster teams. Against slower teams they'd be ok.

Salvador actually did a decent job of getting open in the offensive zone tonight but I don't think the Devils were looking for him to do so so he didn't get feeds.

Actually got to see some of this game, mainly the third. The Devils are in trouble if Mottau has to play significant minutes in the playoffs. Every time I watch him play, he gets absolutely burnt by other players on 1 on 1 situations. He also loses a lot of 1 on 1 battles in the corners.

I was expecting a slap shot from Rolston in the shootout. I don’t know if anyone remembers or watched, but Rolston beat Marty with two 1000 mph lasers while coming down the wing on semi-breakaways at the All-Star game last year.

Gionta looked pretty good from what I saw.

Has Marty been as good as he was in the third and OT all season? He saved the Devils 5 or 6 times. That was incredible. I think he’ll have no trouble winning the Vezina because smart people (the GMs) vote for that award, and they see him steal at least one game a year.

The Hart is another story. Not saying he deserves it over AO, but it would be a shame if he never won one in his career. I know I am going off on a tangent but thought it had to be mentioned. The problem that Marty will always have going for him is that he is doing what is expected, and most of these writers who vote are lazy and don’t want to watch what they call, “boring and unwatchable hockey.” They see the box score, but that doesn’t tell the whole story like tonight’s game as a perfect example. They might see the score being 2-1 and say, “typical Devils’ trap hockey. All they have to do is watch Caps highlights to see that AO had another great offensive night.

The other big thing is that this is the norm for Marty. Everyone is looking for the guy that has that huge year out of the blue, and it happens all the time. (Warning basketball reference) It is the reason why Shaq only won MVP and the reason why Kobe has never won one, despite being the best player in the NBA every year (end of basketball reference).

One last note…I haven’t watched many games this year to hear the great quotes of Chico, but how about him talking about the Wild fans. He goes on about great dedication and all these sellouts, mentioning that they have all this great competition in the area. Yet all he mentions is girls junior college hockey and high school hockey, but fails to mention…I don’t know…maybe The Twins, Timberwolves, and the Vikings. I found that pretty funny.

Edited by devilsrule33

Some of you have disputed what transition defense can do for a team - just look at Paul Martin's play to set up the Brian Gionta goal. It didn't even make the highlight, but Martin spun twice away from forechecking and hit a man open along the wall - John Madden was then able to gather speed to enter the offensive zone, and the resultant play was Gionta being left wide open to hammer in a goal. I don't even think he got an assist on the goal - but his play was arguably the most important of the bunch.

Brodeur is the goalie God! For those who think Weeks is going to get a start you can forget it! Brodeur I see playing the remainder of the 11 games of the season so Weeks is not even a possibility with the division so close and the race for the seeding in the EC. Brodeur IMO will start the rest of the way and I could have sworn I heard Chico or Doc say "Brodeur is starting the rest of the way." Meaning there will be no Weeks.

Brodeur is at his best right now and the Devils sure needed him tonight to get the 2 points. If Brodeur does not win the Vezina AND the Hart it will be a crime! Brodeur is on his best right now and he will get his rests in between.

Brodeur is the goalie God! For those who think Weeks is going to get a start you can forget it! Brodeur I see playing the remainder of the 11 games of the season so Weeks is not even a possibility with the division so close and the race for the seeding in the EC. Brodeur IMO will start the rest of the way and I could have sworn I heard Chico or Doc say "Brodeur is starting the rest of the way." Meaning there will be no Weeks.

Brodeur is at his best right now and the Devils sure needed him tonight to get the 2 points. If Brodeur does not win the Vezina AND the Hart it will be a crime! Brodeur is on his best right now and he will get his rests in between.

Edited by Devil Fan

THE FREIGHT TRAIN FROM THE UKRAINE!!!

Good to see my man VV back where he belongs!

i can't remember a game where the devils had so many pucks bouncing around the crease in front of partially vacant nets...man the wild could have banged home 4-5 easy goals...yes the hockey gods were pulling some strings tonight for sure...

what a save by marty on the second skater, think it was pavol demitra...damn!

nice to see a minnesotan get the GWG...you could here the family and friends section get pretty vocal on that one...there must have been several hundred loud devils fans there tonight.

not sure if you jersey peeps caught it, but they had JP Parise mic'd to fire up the crowd before face-off(FOX North feed)...also had a quick interview with martin's pops...looked like granny was there chuggin some brews as well...lol!

Edited by ice dog

too bad the devils pissed away those early games, especially against the blue-skirts...he would be gunning to top last years win total!

and yes...marty is insane.

i honestly think he has taken his game to another level...he is like a wine, improving with age!

I missed most of this game. Only saw the Devils first goal. But it looked a little Wild :D

Nice comeback, from what I heard. I did see a few of those crazy bounces through the crease. And Marty looked really on toward the end.

I just wonder how Patrik is doing. He looked like he was reallly hurting after getting hit with the puck late in the game.

:o