Jonathan Roy is a Joke

thefiestygoat

Patrick Roy continued his tradition of being a classless coach, this time, ordering his son to cheapshot the other goalie during a line brawl. (Last year he was part of the reason Tulupov got hurt in a brawl)

http://www.thehockeyherald.com/?p=997 (Youtube on that page)

"Last night between Chicoutimi and Quebec there was a line brawl where Patrick Roy allegidly yelled at his son, Jonathan Roy (The goalie for Quebec) to go to the other end and fight Chicoutimi's goalie. At the time of the fight the score was 7-1 for Chicoutimi. Here is the video. What type of suspension is this worth?"

----

I say suspend him and his dad for a couple of games. What a joke.

i saw this on Hockey Nigt In Canada earlier with no sound and for a moment thought it was Patrick Roy, looked just like him except Jonathan Roy kicked some serious AS$ unlike his dad back in the day. Of course Chcoutimi ended up kicking Remparts as$

Wow. Thanks for sharing, that video explains the buzz!

I always thought the only way there's a goalie fight is if both goalies leave their respective creases. Bobby Nadeau was all but glued to the crossbar and Roy flew down ice and ripped his helmet off anyway. From the Summary, it looks like Nadeau didn't get any penalties, but they put in a replacement for him. Roy got a minor, two majors, and two misconducts. Eek!

But maybe he just flipped out when he saw what Chicoutimi was doing to his teammates, eh? S

Jonathan's the same as his father.. If not, he's worst.

Cheap shot just as usual for Patrick. And.. When they showed his "Press Conference" he had the same face as usual:

Arrogant face with having no regret to cheap shot the Other goalie. He said when the player cross the blue line(In a fight like Jo Roy did) he has no control over his players. Bullsh!t you piece poor arrogant face.

And.. His son said " Osti, des que l'arbite m'a lach

Classy.

I was expecting something like the Schwab-Soderstrom beating (one of the great Devil moments, hehe) but at least in that one, Tommy was grabbing Devils. This goalie was no where near the action when he got jumped.

Patrick Roy continues to show the utmost in sportsmanship, even while retired. Nice to see that his son is just as arrogant. Anyone know if Jonathon is considered to have NHL potential? If so, I'd love to see him get put in his place.

Classy.

I was expecting something like the Schwab-Soderstrom beating (one of the great Devil moments, hehe) but at least in that one, Tommy was grabbing Devils. This goalie was no where near the action when he got jumped.

Patrick Roy continues to show the utmost in sportsmanship, even while retired. Nice to see that his son is just as arrogant. Anyone know if Jonathon is considered to have NHL potential? If so, I'd love to see him get put in his place.

The QMJHL is a crazy league and that rivalry is HUGE. Personally I don't understand why that other goalie just sat there and took it, I mean, come on kid, stand up for yourself.

If Jonathon Roy wasn't Patricks kid there would not be that big of a deal about it, but here in Canada it's being played on every single newscast..it's getting insane

Edited by annabelle

The QMJHL is a crazy league and that rivalry is HUGE. Personally I don't understand why that other goalie just sat there and took it, I mean, come on kid, stand up for yourself.

If Jonathon Roy wasn't Patricks kid there would not be that big of a deal about it, but here in Canada it's being played on every single newscast..it's getting insane

I'd assume that the other goalie was probably thinking to himself that he was playing a solid game, didn't want to get kicked out and then suspended in this playoff series. Completely classless move by Jonathan to not only start hitting him, but to keep hitting him while he was on the ground and wanted no part of the fight. I also thought that Jonathan Roy's dance was classless.

well the kid didn't have to just turtle, he could have at least stuck up for himself somewhat.

While I personally think goalies shouldn't fight at all (kinda pointless when you're wearing all that padding), what Roy did was inexcusable. I can see if both goalies met in the middle, ala older Roy vs Osgood, but younger Roy just took at run at someone who didn't even want to fight. From my perspective, the other goalie didn't expect Roy to rip his mask off and start punching him in the head...of course he turtled.

Someone on the AHL boards is saying that Nadeau *did* leave his crease briefly and did seem to be making a challenge -- you can't see that on the YouTube clip -- but Nadeau decided to retreat while the linesman was trying to keep Roy from leaving his own zone. So now I wonder if that's why they decided not to give out a suspension. Not that I think what Roy did was right, I don't. It does seem that it wasn't entirely unprovoked, though. Makes it seem less nutso.

I understand your feeling but

a.) why should any player (and in this case it's a goalie, which makes it even worse) be forced to fight if he doesn't want to (even if he gets attacked, it's not his fault - don't blame the victim) and

b.) more important, Nadeau is one of the best goalies in the league, while Roy is a lousy backup.

So, if the Devils play the Penguins in the Play-offs and Sabourin tries to take Brodeur out of the game (the Devils already lead 7:1 :D), should Marty defend himself and risk getting suspended/hurt or should he try to stay out of it?

Yeah, I do think ya gotta do something. You just can't completely turtle in that situation. Even just trying to tie up the other guy or pull his jersey over his head or something. I mean if it's going that badly you can resort to the turtle but not starting off with it.