Simmons Writes a Hockey Column

devilsrule33

I knew this column was going to be written after Bostons dramatic win on Saturday. From what I have heard this series has completely taken over the city of Boston. Apparently everyone is talking hockey. On Saturday, they announced the Bruins had won game 6 over the Fenway speakers, and the crowd just went crazy.

I mention this only because, for the past two weeks, I have been watching hockey. It started innocently enough -- the Bruins were pitted against the Canadiens in Round 1, and even though I couldn't have named five Bruins, I found myself flicking over to Versus for Game 1 just because I enjoyed seeing the uniforms so much. The Bruins were wearing the white, black and gold, the Habs were wearing red and blue, and they were playing in Whatever-The-Hell-The-Forum-Is-Called-Now. Just like old times ... right down to the part where the Bruins lost. Game 2 happened on a Saturday and I caught the third period and overtime; we blew that one, too. But it wasn't until Game 3 that I found myself getting hooked -- not for the excitement of the games as much as the ignominy of Montreal fans infiltrating Whatever-The-Hell-The-Garden-Is-Called-Now and cheering on the visiting Habs. Even worse, they had no problems throwing down with Boston fans in the stands. I mean, this was like something that would happen to the Atlanta Hawks or the Tampa Bay Rays.
That brings us to Game 6. Everyone made a big deal about the Spurs-Suns game Saturday, and rightly so -- it was the greatest Round 1 game ever played in the NBA playoffs, as well as one of the best Game 1s of any series, and if you ever doubted the credentials of Duncan, Nash or Ginobili, or the unique ceiling for that matchup, then you had no doubts after the second overtime ended. But the Bruins-Habs game was just as entertaining -- furious action for three periods, a deafening, ear-splitting crowd, tons of history, and then, an explosion of goals (six in all!) in the third period, capped off by a breathtaking flurry in which the B's took the lead, lost it and regained it in the span of about 2.3 seconds. The kids played a big part (Lucic scored one of the go-ahead goals, and potential franchise center Phil Kessel scored two beauties, including the winner), but I was more delighted Marko Sturm took over the game in the third period. Two years ago, Boston gave away Joe Thornton in one of those textbook "three dimes for a quarter" deals, your classic crummy, soulless Bruins trade that worked out even worse because Thornton rejuvenated his career that same season and won the MVP. I remember hearing about the trade and thinking, "Man, I'm so glad I got out in time," almost like hearing about some ex-girlfriend who just got arrested for prostitution or something.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/080421

Edited by devilsrule33

I love Simmons, I'm glad he got the sport some mainstream press love. I hope if Boston loses he doesn't feel bitter about it, but rather inspired by their effort and continues to write on the sport.

I saw game 6 it was truly an incredible game. The Bruins certainly seemed to have the proper intensity level even though they were coached by Claude Julien :P (in all seriousness a guy who handled everything that happened last year with incredible class). I will be rooting for them.

The city of Boston has had a lot to be happy about lately. Red Sox won the World Series, the Celtics are the best team in the NBA and up 1-0 in their first round matchup, the Bruins are one game from a major upset, and (to a lesser degree) the Patriots made it to the Super Bowl again (before losing to my GIANTS BABY!).