Future Considerations

CMONPETEYD

Hey guys....

for those of you that are looking for some more information (Conte and Lou Specifically), I suggest you check out Future Considerations.

They have a nice Mock Draft and from all accounts a nice draft guide you can purchase for 5.00. Most of the draft publications are going for a lot more money, and this is an electric copy.

Regardless, here is the Mock

http://futureconsiderationshockey.blogspot.com/

21). New Jersey Devils

Edited by CMONBRENT

Brandon Burlon?

Pass on him. He's second round material.

lets just say that 1 - 20 goes the way that FC says... who do you take @ 21?

also remember where Corrente was? we went off the board there. You never know with Lonte

This is a good point.

Im hoping Lou can strike a deal with your brother, take Calgary's 17th pick and draft Michael Del Zotto.

CMON Brent, make your brother drink some :koolaid: .

They need to replenish at all three positions but the most glaring hole is on defense. The forwards are a group that contains a lot of promise but could also very easily produce nothing.

I would actually agree with Conte that defense is the Devils strongest point in the organization right now. After Bergfors and Vrana you could argue there is next to no projectable NHL players with a guy like Halischuk maybe creeping onto the list as well. On defense there is Corrente, Fraser, Salmela, and Eckford that all seem projectable at this point.

I would actually agree with Conte that defense is the Devils strongest point in the organization right now. After Bergfors and Vrana you could argue there is next to no projectable NHL players with a guy like Halischuk maybe creeping onto the list as well. On defense there is Corrente, Fraser, Salmela, and Eckford that all seem projectable at this point.

Nick Palmieri?

Nick Palmieri?

Exactly. (HM to Snetsinger, Hoeffel and the 2 russians as long shots.)

The Devils need to target an Offensive Defenseman or a Center. Allthough that might not be an organisational weakness in 2-3 years time.

I really hope they dont go off the board and draft someone like Burlon, they need a blue chip prospect.

Edited by britdevil

Nick Palmieri?

Do you really find him NHL probable? I have him on the borderline list right now.

The Russians I worry will never come to the NHL.

Snetsinger and Hoeffel I also find as borderline NHL probably.

Edit: Basically if I start adding those guys as forwards then I'd want to start adding Miller and Fayne and guys like that to the defenseman side of things.

Edited by Devils731

Do you really find him NHL probable? I have him on the borderline list right now.

The Russians I worry will never come to the NHL.

Snetsinger and Hoeffel I also find as borderline NHL probably.

Edit: Basically if I start adding those guys as forwards then I'd want to start adding Miller and Fayne and guys like that to the defenseman side of things.

really? You mean the same guy the Devils signed right out of camp and left in camp for much longer than anyone thought, are on the same path as Miller and Fayne who project to be back-pairing defensemen at best? Guys who play at obscure or B-list colleges are now elevated to the same status as people who score a goal every other game in junior while playing a power forward game on a terrible Erie team?

really? You mean the same guy the Devils signed right out of camp and left in camp for much longer than anyone thought, are on the same path as Miller and Fayne who project to be back-pairing defensemen at best? Guys who play at obscure or B-list colleges are now elevated to the same status as people who score a goal every other game in junior while playing a power forward game on a terrible Erie team?

Ya, I'm telling you I'm not fairly sure he plays in the NHL in the future.. I'm not saying he is horrible but I can't say I think he is likely or unlikely to be an NHL player at this point but I think he has a chance. He had 1 goal and 0 assists in 9 AHL games so that wasn't a great start in the AHL but it was only 9 games so it's hard to really take anything from that.

The guys I listed were guys who seem to have a history I can put some sort of track record to and say they have a good chance to play in the NHL while Palmieri played on such a bad team and has such a lopsided goals to assist ratio that I don't know what he is going to do.

Aren't you one of the guys who derides NHL players for putting up points on bad teams because there always has to be somebody getting big ice time and scoring some sort of points?

Even if you want to add Palmieri to the list, and it doesn't matter truly because the guy at FC was talking about everyone anyway, I still think the Devils defense prospects are more likely to help the NHL team than the forwards list right now, do you diagree with that?

Ya, I'm telling you I'm not fairly sure he plays in the NHL in the future.. I'm not saying he is horrible but I can't say I think he is likely or unlikely to be an NHL player at this point but I think he has a chance. He had 1 goal and 0 assists in 9 AHL games so that wasn't a great start in the AHL but it was only 9 games so it's hard to really take anything from that.

9 games at the end of the season - who even knows what kind of ice time he got or who he played with, or whether he was worn out after a season where he suffered from mononucleosis? He got 13 shots on goal.

The guys I listed were guys who seem to have a history I can put some sort of track record to and say they have a good chance to play in the NHL while Palmieri played on such a bad team and has such a lopsided goals to assist ratio that I don't know what he is going to do.

This is true but again, he really impressed the team with his skills. How often do the Devils sign players out of camp? Or rather - how many junior players has New Jersey let slip back into the draft over the years. And again, a bad team - who knows if they were botching his setups or what?

Aren't you one of the guys who derides NHL players for putting up points on bad teams because there always has to be somebody getting big ice time and scoring some sort of points?

NHL and junior are different. Much as baseball prospectus does use draft position as a way of projecting players forward, even though that seems circular and incorrect, I am doing with Palmieri - I'm assuming he has 2nd round talent because he was selected in that round.

Even if you want to add Palmieri to the list, and it doesn't matter truly because the guy at FC was talking about everyone anyway, I still think the Devils defense prospects are more likely to help the NHL team than the forwards list right now, do you diagree with that?

Not as such, but I think you're selling Palmieri way, way short by lumping him in with Fayne and Miller - I'd bet even money one of them never plays a game for the Devils organization, and 4-1 against both of them never playing a game with the organization. Miller's going to be like 24 by the end of his college career - unless he's dominant on defense at Northern Michigan, just how good can this guy be? Even Willie Mitchell put up solid offensive numbers at Clarkson. Everyone recognizes just how hard it is for players who are offense-only to make it in the NHL - the same is true for players who are defense only. If these two are the typical college 'hey let's not hit anyone but play good positionally' type defenders like David Hale or Mike Commodore when he played for the Devils, I can take them or leave them - mostly leave them.

Edited by Triumph

Palmieri was actually a 3rd round pick, 79th overall. So lower half 3rd round.

Were you trying to say 13 shots on goal was a good thing? Or that it showed his ice time was low? I don't know where you were going with that because I would say 13 shots for a forward in 9 games is not a good thing.

I don't disagree that Palmieri has a lot of things going for him, I just need to see more before I can decide what I think of him. I would say the strongest thing going for him was the Devils being impressed with him in training camp because they see a lot more of him than any of us do. Personally, I will have a much better idea of him after this season I think because it will be the second year I keep track of what he is doing as opposed to only 1 so far.

Edit: The question can also be flipped, do you want to add Palmieri to the list of players I had there who all have more information to go on? You will say yes and I'll still say no.

Edited by Devils731

Palmieri got a contract straight out of his first training camp. The Devils know they have a future NHL'er on their hands. Its not even been a year since he was drafted yet, jeez, give the kid a chance.

Its like everyone that jumps on Bergfors and Vrana, they are just following the average amount of development years that prospects take. Not every player can jump in like Zajac, Martin or Parise. Gionta was drafted in 98 and didnt see regular playing time till 2003.

Edited by britdevil

Palmieri got a contract straight out of his first training camp. The Devils know they have a future NHL'er on their hands. Its not even been a year since he was drafted yet, jeez, give the kid a chance.

Who isn't giving him a chance? I said I don't know what he'll do so I won't put him on a list of probable NHL'ers whom I have a better track record to go on so I want to see another season from Palmieri before making my mind up. How is that not giving him a chance?

lets just say that 1 - 20 goes the way that FC says... who do you take @ 21?

I dont know where they pulled Burlon from at 21, but we'll see. Here's some names that would still be available at 21 in the future considerations mock draft:

Luca Sbisa

Colby Robak

Colten Teubert

Kirill Petrov

Erik Karlsson

and even David Toews (maybe trade down a few spots and grab him if interest is low, get another 2nd or 3 rounder)

OT @ Beezer: You ever been to that Asian fusion restaurant in newtown called Duck Sauce?

No, I've seen it a few times though. My wife and I have been meaning to go, but it's been imposible lately with our son (1 month old). You want great Asian food in Newtown? Go to Oishi off South Eagle Road. Unreal, the food there is intoxicating. They serve Japanese, Thai, & Korean. YUM! :boogie:

Palmieri was actually a 3rd round pick, 79th overall. So lower half 3rd round.

Doh. Yeah, you're right.

Were you trying to say 13 shots on goal was a good thing? Or that it showed his ice time was low? I don't know where you were going with that because I would say 13 shots for a forward in 9 games is not a good thing.

I think it's a good thing for an 18 year old getting a cup of coffee with his new team, without having played with any of the players before save at camp that September.

I don't disagree that Palmieri has a lot of things going for him, I just need to see more before I can decide what I think of him. I would say the strongest thing going for him was the Devils being impressed with him in training camp because they see a lot more of him than any of us do. Personally, I will have a much better idea of him after this season I think because it will be the second year I keep track of what he is doing as opposed to only 1 so far.

This is true, but he will still be trapped on a crappy OHL team. The disparity between the top OHL teams and the worst is much larger than that in the NHL - the top teams average 4 goals for per game, the bad offenses like Erie average 3. Obviously this is wrong for a number of reasons, but merely translating Palmieri's numbers upwards by 4/3rds, gives him 37 goals in 50 games.

My point was that Palmieri is probably the best non-Corrente prospect in the Devils' system - that's all I was trying to get across. He has the highest upside, and as a power forward type, even if his offense gets lost along the way, he can still perhaps become a Turner Stevenson type.

I really dont like the order they have these guys in, for starters i think if Aron Ness is on the board when Minnesota come to draft he goes. There has been talk of him meeting with the ownership of the wild about them taking him, He won the Mr hockey award and just loves the team.

Also two teams taking goalies in the First round when there is every chance they will easily be available in the second round also seems surprising given the abundance of Defensemen up for grabs. But who knows what could happen.

As for the Palmieri thing , i think he has a great shot at the Devils, he was one of the best players on a $hitty otters team, and even with his illness still made strides this year, definitely has potential to crack the NHL.

In the case of taking forwards in the first round this year, there just isnt that many quality Forwards available and the good ones who are like Colin Wilson and Mikel Boedeker are all top 10 material and aren’t going to fall to us. It only makes sense to utilise the number of quality D men available and take one in the first round and risk lower draft picks on hit or miss forwards in later rounds, people like Greg Nemizs who need work but have potential make more sense in the second, than in the first.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

I agree that we have some strong Dmen that could be NHL ready in a year or two but we also have some forwards that could see NHL action soon. How about Swift and that other undrafted guy we picked up...whatshisface?

You're thinking of Brad Snetsinger. Well even with those two, it's not enough to beef up our forward ranks (especially at center). I fully expect Lou and Conte to pick the best player available at our spot in the first round if we dont move up or down for someone specific. They may get position centric come the later rounds, picking more players in a certain position to fill our holes.

If you don't think Nick Palmieri is a special player than you have not seen him play - I have watched him in Erie for 3 years and will tell you on any other team he would have twice the points - he is the key focus everytime he steps on the ice and draws every teams focus and still manages to put up points

While he was out with Mono - Erie went 0-16 - he had the game winning goal in OT to end the streak - He in my opinion he has to play well for Erie to have a chance to win

I have seen some great players come through Erie Boyes, Conolly, pecker, colliocgo and others - I will tell you Nick ranks up there with the best and has no real help on this team as in the past - Erie is awful

At 6'3" and 215 lbs he can skate score hit and will drop the gloves, when is the last time the Devils signed a player just drafted out of training camp - they didn't even sign Matt Corente until the following June.

I would certainly think they expect him to play in NJ since they seem to have given him the same contract the gave Corrente and Bergfors

http://www.nhlscap.com/capnumbers/newjersey.htm