Fedorov Is Out of Here!

devils744

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/

Fedorov done as a Devil

General manager Lou Lamoriello just said that he has given Fedor Fedorov's agent permission to talk to other teams that might be interested in trading for him and the 25-year-old forward will not be play for the Devils. I'll have more on this later, but Lamoriello insisted that it was purely a numbers decision and he had promised Fedorov that if he wasn't one of the team's top 12 forwards, he could seek a deal elsewhere.

If Fedorov can't find a trade, he will probably be placed on waivers.

Also, Nicklas Bergfors, Matt Corrente, Tyler Eckford, Vladimir Zharkov and Scott Clemmensen are now practicing in Lowell, but have not been officially assigned there.

I'll have more on who is still here and who's playing tonight after I'm done in the locker room.

Lamoriello said Barry Tallackson, who had surgery Friday to correct an irregular heartbeat, will be returning to New Jersey "this weekend" and "the doctors have given him the green light to skate and do whatever he needs to do."

Edited by devils744

Pretty much cements Vrana's spot on the squad.

Thinking the same thing and said if any player was going to make this Devils team would be Vrana. I thought Corrente may make it but does not look like it now. Corrente and Bergfors need more time in Lowell it appears. I would take Vrana over Clarkson right now.

Why would a team trade for him when they could just snag him off waivers?

I guess maybe fear that another team could put in a better bid?

Not gonna happen

@Amberlite. I think you're simplifying PLLL's game a little too much. Janssen was purely one dimensional, where PLLL does show some hockey skills to go along with the aspect that cam also brought. Granted neither are complete players, but when they are being used for a specific job, you only need to be good at that specific job.

Also, we didnt get rid of janssen because we hated the guy or what he brought, we got rid of him because we got salvador in return.

Eh, I dunno I see basically the same characteristics in both players. Leblond may be a marginally better skater, but he still won't put up more than 5 points a season, if that. Also where exactly would he fit in? Assuming Vrana makes the team we have a pretty stacked set of forward lines. I'm sorry, but aside from MAYBE Rupp, I wouldn't be willing to let even one of those players sit out in favor of Leblond, I don't care if we're playing the Rangers or Flyers or wherever.

Eh, I dunno I see basically the same characteristics in both players. Leblond may be a marginally better skater, but he still won't put up more than 5 points a season, if that. Also where exactly would he fit in? Assuming Vrana makes the team we have a pretty stacked set of forward lines. I'm sorry, but aside from MAYBE Rupp, I wouldn't be willing to let even one of those players sit out in favor of Leblond, I don't care if we're playing the Rangers or Flyers or wherever.

I never said PLLL should make the team. In fact I think he should go back to Lowell, and continue to improve and learn as he did last season.

I was just replying to your comparison of him to cam janssen. I think PLLL has a little more to offer as a hockey player, and hopefully he goes to Lowell this year and learns more the way he did last. If the guy went from being a Trenton player to sticking around in NHL camp in less than a year, maybe next year we'll be talking about Leblond with Clarkson comparisons.

PLLL displayed hockey skill? I didn't see it. I saw a guy who was hitting people, but I didn't see very much hockey skill. Did he even get a shot on goal?

The most points PLLL has ever gotten at any level was 13, in the ECHL. He couldn't even score in the QMJHL.

This is not to say I don't think PLLL will eventually make the Devils - if he does this next year, I think he's got a shot. But by playing him, you are limiting your 4th line to either double shifting a LW for most of the game, or not playing your 4th line at all. PLLL is a 4 minute a game guy right now.

Anyway, re: Fedorov - I'm disappointed he won't be sent down to the AHL if only because Zharkov is the only Russian there, and I have to imagine that's difficult, even though Lowell's dying industrial look should remind him a bit of home.

So guys....wtf are we doing with Tallackson? Does he have a spot on the squad? Nobody's really been talking about that.

I doubt it, and I hope not. I think we know Lou and Conte still think Barry has all this potential to be great, but I don't think any of here have ever seen it except his one NHL goal. I'd love to see more of that, but I don't expect to.

PLLL displayed hockey skill? I didn't see it. I saw a guy who was hitting people, but I didn't see very much hockey skill.

Okay yeah, skill may be overdoing it. I was just trying to say I think the guy has more potential than cam janssen. It's an opinion, and so is that I don't think he should be on the devils squad this year. Especially when Rupp would be better suited to handle more 4th line ice time than leblond.

I guess Vrana and Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond will be our alternate forwards. Fedorov is good, but not great, Idon;t understand the hype about him. He's like Steve Kariya if you draw comparisons to brothers of NHLers. Chris Drury's brother Ted sucked and so did Paul's.

Edited by USC09

EW the article has been updated with a new quote!

"Your top 12 forwards, they are what they are," Devils coach Brent Sutter said. "No one has stepped up to replace those guys. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if it's Fedor or whoever else. Those 12 guys have earned the right to be the top 12 from how they played through camp."

Nobody is replacing anyone then.

Further updated quotes from article:

"You'll notice that Petr Vrana is skating at right wing on a line with Pierre-Luc Letoureau-Lebond at left wing and Rod Pelley at center. I'll have more on that in another post that I'll put up shortly."

Great. I wanted to see Vrana try with TOP players. Those guys should not make him look good.

Edited by Cowutopia

No loss here. Federov is a floater and it would have been only a matter of time before he and Sutter butted heads on his lack of work ethic. I would much rather see Vrana get a legitimate shot to make the team and stick now.