Oh that Linda Cohn...

ILikeItVeryMuch

Nice post unknown poster! Devils fans maybe obsessed with the Rangers and as well as with the Flyers. I can sure tell you that the same goes for the Rangers and Flyers fans being obsessed with the Devils with all of their success in the last 14-plus years. It is a two-way street when it comes to rivals.

I can't disagree with you, Satan. Let's face it...I'm suppose to hate the Islanders. But since I'm a "younger" fan, the Isles haven't hurt me, like the Devils have (with their obvious success).

So I'm so that's also why I'm apart of this forum...to "talk" and "discuss" things about my rival. I'm guilty of it, but my intentions on coming here have always been to talk hockey and rid the rag trolls of this forum.

But, yes...I agree. I think if a team has been hurt or burned by their rival, it becomes more apparent of their "obsessed" hatred for the other team.

So I guess I'm just as guilty.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schooling me? Alrighty! I'm ready!

So I assume that the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Chicago Blackhawks are a teams that have no history or tradition. That none of these teams have die-hard fans that simply love the team and the sport of hockey?

I hate to say it: But a major reason that they're an "overhyped" team is due to their being an "Original Six" team. Is it fair? Absolutely not. However, that doesn't mean it isn't true.

Let's look at other sports for a moment: Anyone follow soccer? The Glasgow Celtic or Benfica are two teams that come to mind when it comes to dedicated fans, history, and tradition that does NOT succeed in "major" events (ie: Champion's League). However that doesn't make their teams, etc. overrated or less respected then say...Barcelona. Have the Rangers -- overall -- been successful? Absolutely not. But that doesn't mean that they do not have a rich history and tradition.

New York is New York. Of course the city is going to be filled with media whores...hate to say but that's how it has always been. What message should the fans of been sending? Win or lose, bad or not...the fans were loyal to the team and supported them.

I agree particularly with Any Bathgate's number being retired. But when it comes to retiring a jersey...it does have to do with what he's done with the organization...not what his records are, that's for the Hall of Fame. Why was Daneyko's number retired? Because he was a devil: Loyal, a leader, and a fan favorite.

Do I agree with Grave's number being retired? Not sure...but the fans loved him, he did SO MUCh for the community, and he was part of a stanley cup team.

As for retiring numbers left and right...it shouldn't be the Rangers we're discussing, but Montreal: another team that is rich with tradition and history. (Though they have far more success than the Rangers, I'll admit)

I'm not a true troll. And I do know that other teams hate us but I also know that other fans don't. And why do you think I'm worried about what you think about us? I'm not. Am I aware that you're obsessed? You bet...but that doesn't mean I'm worried.

*sigh* A Ranger fan who registered to get rid of ranger trolls that were obnoxious and idiotic...you remind me of them.

She? Are we gender confused?

Linda Cohn is a woman, believe it or not, try to read closer next time.

And how do I remind you of a Rangers troll? I am a Devils fan who posts on a Devils messageboard. How are we obsessed because we are talking about how Linda Cohn has no jouralistic integrity and just picks the Rangers to win everything under the sun because shes a fan?

Christ, its like the guy with sh!t on his hands telling other people they stink.

You are also carrying on in a conversation on a Devils messageboard, still, but you are right, we are obsessed.

Edited by ILikeItVeryMuch

Linda Cohn is a woman, believe it or not, try to read closer next time.

And how do I remind you of a Rangers troll? I am a Devils fan who posts on a Devils messageboard. How are we obsessed because we are talking about how Linda Cohn has no jouralistic integrity and just picks the Rangers to win everything under the sun because shes a fan?

Christ, its like the guy with sh!t on his hands telling other people they stink.

I misread, I thought you were referring to me. I apologize.

As for Linda Cohn, I couldn't agree more.

I can't disagree with you, Satan. Let's face it...I'm suppose to hate the Islanders. But since I'm a "younger" fan, the Isles haven't hurt me, like the Devils have (with their obvious success).

So I'm so that's also why I'm apart of this forum...to "talk" and "discuss" things about my rival. I'm guilty of it, but my intentions on coming here have always been to talk hockey and rid the rag trolls of this forum.

But, yes...I agree. I think if a team has been hurt or burned by their rival, it becomes more apparent of their "obsessed" hatred for the other team.

So I guess I'm just as guilty.

Yes you are and glad you can admit that. Like I said, I never had a problem talking hockey with you here and for the reasons you state in your post I can respect the things you are here for. there are not many Rangers fans like you that come here. Most like to just troll along with the Flyers fans.

Rival teams burn eachother every season and that is why they are called rivals. Some seasons and as of late most of the seasons have gone to the Devils the past 12 plus seasons as far as dominance goes, but last season happens to be the Rangers that did the dominance over the Devils to end a long streak. This is what makes the rivalry even better this season.

(...)

POD. No, POY. Next time someone asks me what I hate so much about the Rangers, I'll just give him the link.

You know I'm right too. Hell, even your own have made numerous comments on, "let's talk about our team and not the rags."

unknown poster already put it to words well, but I'll add my two cents: we hear about the Rangers so much from the media, from their fans etc., etc. that we are sick and tired of them. Some of the Devils fans need to vent by bashing the Rags on NJ boards where they know the people aren't pro-Ranger. But some of them have simply had enough and don't want to hear about the NYR anymore.

Am I obssessed with the Rangers? Well, a bit, to be honest. The 2008 playoffs have much to do with it. I just want revenge and I'm frustrated with Rangers fans talking nonsense. Really, if it wasn't for these foolish fans (and the media hype), I'd talk about the Rags less, definitely. Although I'd still hate them like hell.

But it struck me when I was talking with my friend about soccer teams here in Poland a couple of days ago and he pointed out one team's fans being pathetic because of them having huge complex and talking about their rivals more than about their team (they actually spend money to make stuff insulting their rivals they later show at games [flags, etc.] instead of making more things for their team). I don't want people to say that about the Devils. I don't mind bashing the Rags, but I also think enough is enough and sometimes people cross the line with too many Rangers threads. But just like there are SOME Devils fans obssessed with the Rangers, there are Rangers fans obssessed with the Devils, too. Visit some random NYR boards (or, let's say, hfboards) and take a look at some of the signatures or avatars or read some posts.

But there is a difference: the Devils fans are frustrated because of the media loving the Rangers even if they suck. The Rangers fans are frustrated because of the Devils domination (which just ended last year, but might return next season). So, you're saying WE have complex?

You know when these arguments start heating up, the regular season is right around the corner.

As far as Ranger fans go, I actually kind of like Rangerfans (that made for a weird sentence). Unfortunately RF, although on the surface you seem like a relatively good guy who just wants to talk hockey, as soon as you start with the attendance jabs and "Debbie" comments, you sound EXACTLY like the Ranger fans I've really grown to hate through the years...I can almost hear that abrasive Noo Yawk accent that afflicts so many Ranger fans when I read that nonsense. We've been through the attendance crap so many times, and yeah, Devil fans can do a better job supporting the team and showing up, although in this economy I don't see it happening this year. On the other hand, if Ranger fans really wanted to send a message to upper management during that seven-year disaster, they could have stopped flocking to the Garden like mindless rats, led by the ultimate Pied Piper in Sather.

Having said that, I agree that some of us get a little too sensitive when the Rangers are brought up, for whatever the reasons. So Linda Cohn likes the Rangers...why should that bother us? In the grand scheme of things, who the fvck is Linda Cohn?! ESPN is a joke in many ways anyway, and we all know their hockey coverage is an even bigger joke. I have to admit though that what annoys me about a lot of Ranger fans (not all, of course) is that they seem to think they're the Yankees of the NHL (especially from a winning standpoint) with some rich tradition of success, when they're a lot closer to being the Washington Senators. And quite a few of them think they should be getting a trophy for being an "Original Six" franchise. Naturally my hatred of this kind of fan manifests itself toward the team itself...but I'm a lot more worried about my Devils than about the Rangers.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Okay, so you're on a mission. :whistling: You have too much time on your hands and wanted to make the Devils fans happy by getting rid of trolls on their forums. We should be grateful, indeed. :P

One more thing I forgot to mention in my previous post... I have a dream. Not only about the Devils winning the Stanley Cup again, but about it happening BEFORE the Rags can win their 5th (if it happens someday). The Flyers don't irritate me as much as the Rangers. Maybe that's because we are younger than them and have already achieved more. Or because the rivalry hasn't been as intense post-lockout. Winning the Cup and tying the Original Six Rangers, who brag so much, would help shutting some mouths (although there would still be morons saying "the one Cup we won in 1994 is still better than [put the number of Cups, from 3 to infinity] you won since then"... but when you hear stuff like that, you know you don't even have to say anything, it comments itself).

So I assume that the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Chicago Blackhawks are a teams that have no history or tradition. That none of these teams have die-hard fans that simply love the team and the sport of hockey?

Nice touch mentioning the Leafs and the Hawks as comparison. I notice you didn't mention the Wings, Bruins or Canadiens as that wouldn't have suited your argument. LOL. Anyway, the Rangers tradition does not steep nearly as much as Toronto and maybe about as even with Chicago.

One could argue that the Rangers are the least successful Original 6 team along with the Blackhawks over their history. The Wings, Leafs, Canadiens and Bruins have been clearly more successful on the ice.

I hate to say it: But a major reason that they're an "overhyped" team is due to their being an "Original Six" team. Is it fair? Absolutely not. However, that doesn't mean it isn't true.

They are hyped because of New York and the media. The media makes them out to be something they are not and their fans get media propaganda muscles from it.

That's why the Giants went to "NY" as their primary, it's why the Jets went retro with NY in their logo and it's why the Red Bulls aren't the NY/NJ Metrostars any longer. There's more to be made and benefitted from with an association with NY.

Let's look at other sports for a moment: Anyone follow soccer? The Glasgow Celtic or Benfica are two teams that come to mind when it comes to dedicated fans, history, and tradition that does NOT succeed in "major" events (ie: Champion's League). However that doesn't make their teams, etc. overrated or less respected then say...Barcelona. Have the Rangers -- overall -- been successful? Absolutely not. But that doesn't mean that they do not have a rich history and tradition.

Non-sequitor here involving soccer.

Just what is the Rangers rich traditon and history, anyway? I'd like this defined since every Ranger fans repeats it, but never expands on it. It isn't winning consistantly. It isn't Cup wins over 68 years of their 80+ year history, so what is it? Signing famous players that are over the hill to gaudy contracts? Dissapointment and anguish? Blown opportunities in the playoffs?

New York is New York. Of course the city is going to be filled with media whores...hate to say but that's how it has always been. What message should the fans of been sending? Win or lose, bad or not...the fans were loyal to the team and supported them.

After 7 years of no playoffs, somewhere in between the lines fans should have stayed home or made a voice known that they were not going to have thier loyalty stepped on by an inferior product on the ice. Patrionizing Dolan and that sh!t product they put on the ice and saying "we're loyal" is just a glutton for punishment. You call it loyalty, i call it lining a rich man's pocket and him laughing at you.

I agree particularly with Any Bathgate's number being retired. But when it comes to retiring a jersey...it does have to do with what he's done with the organization...not what his records are, that's for the Hall of Fame. Why was Daneyko's number retired? Because he was a devil: Loyal, a leader, and a fan favorite.

If every NHL team retired a number based on that logic, the rafters would be full. The Rangers watered down the meaning when Graves was announced. If you can't see he doesn't belong up there, i don't know what to tell you. He's there because of 1994, pure and simple. Why not put Matteau up there?

Daneyko was a no-brainer for the Devils. His career spoke for itself. Stevens wasn't a career Devil, but he was so sucessful as a Devils player and Captain that was a no brainer as well.

Do I agree with Grave's number being retired? Not sure...but the fans loved him, he did SO MUCh for the community, and he was part of a stanley cup team.

As for retiring numbers left and right...it shouldn't be the Rangers we're discussing, but Montreal: another team that is rich with tradition and history. (Though they have far more success than the Rangers, I'll admit)

Still not enough, IMO, to warrant a number being retired on Graves' part.

Why shouldn't we be discussing the Rangers in this context? They will be retiring what, 4 numbers in 3 years?

I'm not a true troll. And I do know that other teams hate us but I also know that other fans don't. And why do you think I'm worried about what you think about us? I'm not. Am I aware that you're obsessed? You bet...but that doesn't mean I'm worried.

:giggle:

Trust me, getting swept in the first round is easy: it was quick and it was painless. Losing in the ECF in the seventh game, in double OT...THAT's gotta hurt!

But lets face it: Devil fans are obsessed with the Rangers. That's a bonafide fact. If some crappy ESPN analyst picks the Rangers, lets make a thread. If the Rangers are playing a pre-season game, lets make a thread. If a Ranger is discussed ANYWHERE, lets make a thread. You guys are more worried talking and hating on the Rangers then putting fans in your own seats.

This is the post of the year because it points out three undeniable truths ... Devils fans ARE obsessed with the Rangers, but that's OK, it's a rivalry. But at the same time, Rangers fans are obsessed with 1994 and with the Devils attendance.

Hockey is a passionate sport, and in order to be a half-decent fan you've gotta be passionate. One way to do that is to be obsessive. Don't talk about it like it's a bad thing.

Lou's better than Sather. Stevens was better than Messier. Marty is better than Richter and Lundqvist combined. Three Cups in the last two decades are better than one. Devils rule. Rangers suck. Thank you, have a nice day.

This moment of clarity was brought to us by The Big Lymbowski. :dance:

Trust me, getting swept in the first round is easy: it was quick and it was painless. Losing in the ECF in the seventh game, in double OT...THAT's gotta hurt!

So you would rather have your Rangers get absolutley molested in 4 straight games (which was hysterical by the way, I would buy Ozolinsh a drink if it didnt violate his parole) than lose one of the most competitive 7 game series ever?

1994 sucked for us, but it was the seed of 3 cups.

You know when these arguments start heating up, the regular season is right around the corner.

As far as Ranger fans go, I actually kind of like Rangerfans (that made for a weird sentence). Unfortunately RF, although on the surface you seem like a relatively good guy who just wants to talk hockey, as soon as you start with the attendance jabs and "Debbie" comments, you sound EXACTLY like the Ranger fans I've really grown to hate through the years...I can almost hear that abrasive Noo Yawk accent that afflicts so many Ranger fans when I read that nonsense. We've been through the attendance crap so many times, and yeah, Devil fans can do a better job supporting the team and showing up, although in this economy I don't see it happening this year. On the other hand, if Ranger fans really wanted to send a message to upper management during that seven-year disaster, they could have stopped flocking to the Garden like mindless rats, led by the ultimate Pied Piper in Sather.

Having said that, I agree that some of us get a little too sensitive when the Rangers are brought up, for whatever the reasons. So Linda Cohn likes the Rangers...why should that bother us? In the grand scheme of things, who the fvck is Linda Cohn?! ESPN is a joke in many ways anyway, and we all know their hockey coverage is an even bigger joke. I have to admit though that what annoys me about a lot of Ranger fans (not all, of course) is that they seem to think they're the Yankees of the NHL (especially from a winning standpoint) with some rich tradition of success, when they're a lot closer to being the Washington Senators. And quite a few of them think they should be getting a trophy for being an "Original Six" franchise. Naturally my hatred of this kind of fan manifests itself toward the team itself...but I'm a lot more worried about my Devils than about the Rangers.

Thanks for saving me the effort of typing a response to this thread.

I think the messages to draw from all this is:

1,) Linda Cohn's a hack

2.) Devils/Rangers is the best rivalry in the NHL

Exactly. vancouver/colorado was a good rivalry back when bertuzzi was on the canucks. You could also make a case for rags/isles but in the end Devils/rangers is the best rivalry.

she is on the ferall show and she was saying how before they say brodeur is good but people forget how good richter was for the rangers, she is doing everything that she can to say brodeur is not the best goalie out there

Ugh.

Richter may have had some nice years and some very clutch performances, but thats like comparing Eric Gagne to Mariano Rivera. He doesnt come close to Brodeur, not even in the same universe.

Also I pity anyone who listens to Ferall (sp?) and his douchy cancer voice.