Thoughts From Last Night

Risky

I went to the game. Always great being there when the Devils advance. The only other time I got to see it was when they won the only trophy they would in 2001 when they eliminated the Pens in the ECF.

1. First off - woohoo. Devils in 5, just like I predicted on Sheepy's litte thinger. Which is good, because Anaheim really screwed me up, as is St. Louis. :)

2. Gomez and Elias were flying tonight. I know it sounds stupid when you say "they did everything but score" but after all those goal posts and 2-on-1s down low, you know they are coming alive, which is great for the next round and beyond. These guys really were making the Bruins scramble last night, which is good.

3. I get the sense that Marshall doesn't know what to do with the puck when he gets it. He should just hit people instead and let Elias and Gomez get it.

4. You have to see Scott Niedermayer live to appreciate him. All the little things he does defensively, especially in 1-on-1 situations, should make him a superstar. He's just unflappable.

5. The power play is actually looking somewhat dangerous! I think to come out of a 5 game series with 3 pp goals is pretty good. Though last night, they should have put them away with all those stupid penalties Boston was taking.

6. Joe Thornton again was useless. Cheers to Johnny Madden -- he's my MVP of the series.

7. You think Dallas fans are pissed about letting go of Jamie? He's just... the man. If he keeps it up and we go far, him and Marty are going to have to have a steel cage match to decide the Conn Smythe. And if Madden keeps shutting down the top line while scoring a ridiculous amount of points, it could be a three-way match. Ironically, these 3 are the guys that got the 3 stars last night.

8. John Madden needs to be on the power play. I know the poor guy has plenty of other things to do, but it seems whenever he's out there, they score.

9. Tverdovsky, as Triumph has often said, was unremarkable. But he didn't do anything stupid and he picked up an assist on the Madden pp goal.

10. Glad Dano was back. No coincidence that the D was much tighter. Cut Smehlik, thanks.

11. The defense was just amazing last night. Marty was "good" but didn't need to stand on his head -- there were only one or two really amazing saves I can remember. Other than that, it was all outside shooting and blasts at the Devils logo (looks like they stole our training tapes!)

12. If the Devils don't score on a breakaway opportunity next series, I'm going to hurt someone.

13. LET'S GO DEVILS!

I would like to see Rupp get some action in the next round. I also hope Brylin is ready. Does anybody know his status for the next round?

Post game radio said Brylin is skating in practice with the Rats who are up. So only a matter of time before he's playing and practicing with the varsity.

I went to the game. Always great being there when the Devils advance. The only other time I got to see it was when they won the only trophy they would in 2001 when they eliminated the Pens in the ECF.

I was there too. Since they can't seem to win th cup at home (I know I'm being greedy here), the best home game series win was against the Leafs in 200. You know the 3-2-1 shots on goal, shutout.

1. First off - woohoo. Devils in 5, just like I predicted on Sheepy's litte thinger. Which is good, because Anaheim really screwed me up, as is St. Louis.

I'm too emotional about the Devils to predict anything. I really felt that Boston's size would whip our ass.

2. Gomez and Elias were flying tonight. I know it sounds stupid when you say "they did everything but score" but after all those goal posts and 2-on-1s down low, you know they are coming alive, which is great for the next round and beyond. These guys really were making the Bruins scramble last night, which is good.

Why do I get the feeling Gomer's never gonna be a finisher. He generates so many chances.... and Patrik, for G-d sakes, can you stop hitting the Golaie in teh chest or the 5-hole on breakaways? They know wher eyou are going to shoot. And Patty, don't pass the puck back to Gomer. He's not gonna finish. Oh and one more thing...Hit the freakin net

3. I get the sense that Marshall doesn't know what to do with the puck when he gets it. He should just hit people instead and let Elias and Gomez get it.

You get that feeling because he doesn't. And I'd love to see a foot race between him and Daneko. I give the edge to Dano by a nose. Marhsall.... Enter Offensive Zone. Go to boards. Bang Body against defender. Losen puck. Let Gomer get puck. Skate to net. Bang body against Defender. Try not to get hit by shot. Skate to bench. Repeat.

4. You have to see Scott Niedermayer live to appreciate him. All the little things he does defensively, especially in 1-on-1 situations, should make him a superstar. He's just unflappable.

He is the best palyer on the Devils. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. His greatness is hard to describe or enumerate. No Nieds, No cup. Domi knew it. In fact, I go to most games and watch him a lot. I thought this series he only played at 80%. He's saving his best for next round. Book it. He's the one player I think Burns is afraid of. I get the feeling Burns is afarid to tell him anything. Their only conversation goes like this: Burns: "Niedermayer, go out there , please."

5. The power play is actually looking somewhat dangerous! I think to come out of a 5 game series with 3 pp goals is pretty good. Though last night, they should have put them away with all those stupid penalties Boston was taking.

Every formation is dangerous when Madden is out there. If Murray hits that open net he missed twice in the first period, we'd be pretty upset about the fact we could not put them away with the pp again.

6. Joe Thornton again was useless. Cheers to Johnny Madden -- he's my MVP of the series.

Madden played a series that will be talked about for a long time. He is the best truly defensive forward in the league.

7. You think Dallas fans are pissed about letting go of Jamie? He's just... the man. If he keeps it up and we go far, him and Marty are going to have to have a steel cage match to decide the Conn Smythe. And if Madden keeps shutting down the top line while scoring a ridiculous amount of points, it could be a three-way match. Ironically, these 3 are the guys that got the 3 stars last night.

Jamie has the best shot on the team. No, actually he's got the only real HNL shot on the team. He's been overlooked for now.

8. John Madden needs to be on the power play. I know the poor guy has plenty of other things to do, but it seems whenever he's out there, they score.

Yup. Maybe we should just send out his line for every shift?

9. Tverdovsky, as Triumph has often said, was unremarkable. But he didn't do anything stupid and he picked up an assist on the Madden pp goal.

After watching Tvo not adjust very well to Eastern Conference play all year, I was afraid (So was Lou...see Shmelik) he was going to be a major liability. But hes has played steady, and has gotten better each game. Also he has avided getting crunched, something Raffi needs to work on.

10. Glad Dano was back. No coincidence that the D was much tighter. Cut Smehlik, thanks.

Dano played a great game 5. The pk is definitely better with him out there. Big diffrerence between him and Shmelik is that Dano does not get out of position or pushed off the puck.

11. The defense was just amazing last night. Marty was "good" but didn't need to stand on his head -- there were only one or two really amazing saves I can remember. Other than that, it was all outside shooting and blasts at the Devils logo (looks like they stole our training tapes!)

Bruins missed a few open ones early and then look defeated. They needed to hit us hard and frequently and they let our mites on ice off easy...except Gionta that is. Marty had few hard saves. Defense good or Boston lousy?

12. If the Devils don't score on a breakaway opportunity next series, I'm going to hurt someone.

I hope you have insurance, because we don't have many finishers on this team. When we have a breakaway, I now turn away and wait to hear the moan from the crowd.

13. LET'S GO DEVILS!

That's abetter chant than Ranger$ Suck!

Some other thoughts....

1. Jimbo is a waste. Why aren't we playing Bicek? Jimbo has to sit for Brylin. No other choice.

2. Gionta better have children with his new wife soon, because after another series or two like this one, he will be unable. Somone get the Fleury Vidoe Tapes and paly if for him. I mean the ones of Fluery on the ice not off it. :blink:

3. NO Elias scoring, no second round series win.

4. PP percentage will determine whether we win round 2 or not. Philly will abuse us if we don't make them pay. They won't give up like Boston.

5. Is Marshall really the answer for Gomer and Elias?

6. Stevesn was really very good this whole series. His hit in game one set the series on its path. His is truly leading by example. Plays with heart 100% of the time. Same for Dano too.

7. Nieds will turn it up next series. He played very well, but actually looked disinterested last night. Played just good enough to do everything right.

8. Raffi needs to avoid getting hit. We really need him.

9. Dissapointing crowd last night. Only got noisy in the third.

10. The ice was so bad last night, the players could barely skate. It was bette rin the 3rd, sinc ethey got the Zambonies on right away after the second.

msweet, you thought the Bruins size would kill us, then say the Devils should dress Bicek over McKenzie?

Devils are small enough up front as it is. Jimbo hasn't played poorly from what I have seen of him.

Marshall is much faster than Daneyko.

Niedermayer is not the best player on the Devils. He doesn't even face the top line every night. When he does that, and comes out a +5 like Stevens and Rafalski did, maybe I'll give him that title. Oh, and when he learns how to pass while skating, too.

4. PP percentage will determine whether we win round 2 or not. Philly will abuse us if we don't make them pay. They won't give up like Boston.

I'm not going to argue that we need to pick up our PP, but did you know that Anaheim had NO PP GOALS in their sweep over Detroit? It's not an absolute necessity.

msweet, you thought the Bruins size would kill us, then say the Devils should dress Bicek over McKenzie?

Devils are small enough up front as it is. Jimbo hasn't played poorly from what I have seen of him.

Marshall is much faster than Daneyko.

Niedermayer is not the best player on the Devils. He doesn't even face the top line every night. When he does that, and comes out a +5 like Stevens and Rafalski did, maybe I'll give him that title. Oh, and when he learns how to pass while skating, too.

Bicek hits more than Jimbo. That shouldn't be the case. While I'll say game 5 was Jimbo's best game, we need goals. More likely to get from Bicek than Jimbo.

I know Marshall is faster than Dano. I was just making a point.

And No Nieds, No cup. Write it in stone. What he does, isn't always measurable. Need the puck out of the zone, send him out.

I'm sure there are people who think we should trade him still.

That's just not true msweet. Jimbo hits plenty, when he is in position to do it.. he's one of the only guys on the team who will throw center ice hits too, if he's capable. I'll say it again, more offense on the 4th line is worthless, it will amount to 1 or 2 goals over 20 games. That's not worth the tradeoff of having a rookie in the lineup.

Niedermayer is exceptional at getting the puck out of the zone. Without him or Stevens, we'd be in trouble. Saying that Domi knew that is ridiculous, though. That elbow hardly could have been premediated to take him out for his playing ability, it was some stupid grudge.

I'm not going to argue that we need to pick up our PP, but did you know that Anaheim had NO PP GOALS in their sweep over Detroit? It's not an absolute necessity.

NJDev25, Anaheim and the Devils are a lot more similar than people think. Both play good defensive systems and rely on their #1 goalies. Both win low-scoring games and get timely goals. And both don't have a lot of quality finishers.

Anaheim has Kariya (2 goals) and Sykora (1 assist).

New Jersey has Langenbrunner (5 goals) and Elias (1 assist).

Also, Anaheim's PK ranked right behind the Devils top-rated one this season. Another similarity.

Anaheim was middle of the pack on the PP (16th) while the Devils were dead last.

Both teams used a shadow to stop a top line. Rucchin for Anaheim held Fedorov to one goal and then was rewarded with the series OT winner for his hard work. Madden was the best player in his series rewarded for his hard work with eight points (2-6-8) while holding Thornton to one goal as well.

Isn't it ironic how both Sykora and Elias had the same output in their teams' series victories???

I usually cringe when Pando has the puck. However he surprised me. I guess being from the area helped as well.

And I will say that McKenzie line generates some energy. Solid chances and good hitting. You need a Jimbo in my opinion in the playoffs. However, I still feel bad for Gionta. That little guy gives everything, and gets punished.

I thought Marshell played fairly well last night. His one job is to protect Elias and Gomez. I think he will pay off by the next round when Patty and Scott are helping this team put up some "O."

One more thing about Anaheim - they're the best faceoff percentage team in the league. I don't know where New Jersey ended up, cause I haven't been able to find team faceoff stats, but I think they were middle of the pack, although they probably improved when Rheaume came over.