Hey Lou & Jeff! Don't Blow It!!

TheIceDog

The 1995 team wasn't a powerhouse or anything.

it was a powerhouse. they went to game 7 of the ECF in 1994 and just completely ran over teams in the 1995 playoffs. Brodeur really didn't have to steal a single game. Maybe you could argue the McKay game 4 but that's it.

In game 1 of the cup finals he faced 17 shots, he regularly faced paltry shot totals throughout those playoffs. The Devils offense broke out and averaged over 3 goals a game in the playoffs.

Edited by '7'

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about ALL-TIME WINS??

Brodeur>>>Roy

;)

they award championships for best records in the regular season?

they put your name on the trophy for this?

Wow... I missed that memo somewhere along the line :P

I DON'T CARE ABOUT REGULAR SEASON records, more so when they result in said goalie overplaying himself and SUCKING YANG IN THE PLAYOFFS

if anything this silly chase has cost this team playoff rounds

I wish I could explain my fixation on the Parise thing

I guess it's the man-crush bit :P

If Brodeur won 3 more cups wouldn't that pass Roy in playoff wins...?

he'd have 148

he'd need to make another conf finals to pass him

see now THAT is an impressive record, when you think about how consistently he won each and every year (well until the ugly end :P)

I DON'T CARE ABOUT REGULAR SEASON records, more so when they result in said goalie overplaying himself and SUCKING YANG IN THE PLAYOFFS

Marty in playoffs, 1.96 GAA and a shutout every 7.5 games. Marty had 1 playoff year where he allowed over 3 GAA and 6 where he had a GAA under 2.

Roy in playoffs, 2.3 GAA and a shutout every 10.7 games. Roy had 3 playoffs years where had allowed over 3 GGA and 3 where he had a GAA under 2.

It's not so easy to just go well Roy has more playoffs wins so he must be better. Well it is that easy if you want to try to over simplify things.

he'd have 148

he'd need to make another conf finals to pass him

see now THAT is an impressive record, when you think about how consistently he won each and every year (well until the ugly end :P)

143...obviously a typo since you said he'd need another conf. final to pass him.

it was a powerhouse. they went to game 7 of the ECF in 1994 and just completely ran over teams in the 1995 playoffs. Brodeur really didn't have to steal a single game. Maybe you could argue the McKay game 4 but that's it.

In game 1 of the cup finals he faced 17 shots, he regularly faced paltry shot totals throughout those playoffs. The Devils offense broke out and averaged over 3 goals a game in the playoffs.

Revisionist history treats them as some kind of gigantic underdog that won the Cup because of their system. I think it's sucked alot of people in, but it couldn't have been further from the truth.

Revisionist history treats them as some kind of gigantic underdog that won the Cup because of their system. I think it's sucked alot of people in, but it couldn't have been further from the truth.

I think you have it backwards. At the time people believed them to be gigantic underdogs who only won due to their system. I think most people rightly remember it that way but you have less people believing that now because of the Devils continued success afterward.

People can bitch and moan and debate who the best goalie ever is until their faces turn blue. The fact of the matter is that in a short time no goaltender in the HISTORY of this sport will have won more games then Martin Brodeur. How fans of this team can try to diminish this moment is beyond me to be honest. Faults can be found through Marty's career for sure but the same can be said about any player. Even with all his playoff wins, Roy had his hiccups along the way as well. At the end of the day if what Marty is about to accomplish wasn't anything special there would probably be more then two people to ever accomplish something like this in the first place. Sit back and enjoy it.

Edited by SickMan

On the day that Brodeur might tie Roy's record in a Devils uniform, are you people actually making a case for Roy being a better goalie??? This should be a day your proud to be a devils fan (one of the many), not trying to put down our greatest player of all time. Who cares who has more playoff wins and all that garbage...MARTY IS ABOUT TO HAVE THE MOST WIN'S ALL TIME!!! Enjoy it!

I think you have it backwards. At the time people believed them to be gigantic underdogs who only won due to their system. I think most people rightly remember it that way but you have less people believing that now because of the Devils continued success afterward.

I don't think I have it backwards. 1995 was revisionist history in 1995. It's as if everyone ignored the prior season then, and it's still that way sometimes now. It was an upset, but not a major upset by any stretch of the imagination.

If they could play with the '94 Rangers (and had them beat until they caved in on themselves), there was no reason they couldn't play with the '95 Wings. But, for some reason, that line of thinking didn't come into play.

Hasek? Please. Hasek made a career of flopping around the crease like a circus clown due to the fact he had no technique and was continually out of position. In 16 seasons he finished with 389 wins. In 16 seasons, Brodeur has 550 wins and counting. Hasek broke the 40 win barrier only once, never had any pressure to win during his career with Chicago and Buffalo, 81 shutouts to Brodeur's 100 (and counting), etc., etc., the list goes on and on so forget Hasek.

The only comparison is Roy and Sawchuk, with Marty either surpassing, or going to surpass, all of their records with only two exceptions. Neither Roy nor Sawchuk come close to Brodeur's GAA and both fall short in save percentage. How about those seasons where the Devils were at the bottom tier in goal scoring and Brodeur had no margin for error for a win. These weren't Roy's high flying Canadian and Avalanche teams. Another Cup for Marty and a few more deep playoff runs and he'll be right there with Roy and all time playoff wins. We are witnessing greatness before our eyes and how sweet it is. Let's also not forget that while Marty is at 100 (and counting) career shutouts, Roy finished well below at only 66. When Marty breaks Sawchuk's shutout record and sets the mark, that will be truly amazing.

I leave you with an article from Hockey Digest dicussing the NHL's "Unbreakable" records:

MOST SHUTOUTS, CAREER: TERRY SAWCHUK, 103

Patrick Roy became the NHL's all-time winningest goalie when he surpassed Sawchuk's mark of 447 wins in October 2000. But Sawchuk's shutout record, amassed over 21 seasons playing for Detroit, Boston, Toronto, Los Angeles, and the Rangers is safer than the remote control in your dad's hand on Super Bowl Sunday. Sawchuk played in an era when teams employed a more conservative style, which meant fewer Scoring chances for the opposition and better stats for goalies. Entering the 2001-02 season, Ed Belfour led all active goalies with 57 shutouts.

Adam Raider Hockey Digest January 2002 article on the "Unbreakable Records in Hockey"

You don't know anything about hockey icedog. zilch. you need to be in the basement guarding the bee.

Hasek led the NHL in save percentage six straight seasons playing behind a far inferior defense to Brodeur. Hasek was making 40 saves a night while Brodeur was rolling to cupcake 17 save shutout wins over the Whalers.

Martin Brodeur has never led the NHL in save percentage.

Hasek has six vezinas and two Hart Trophies. That's LEAGUE MVP'S!!!

and Hasek never faced any pressure in Buffalo...right. No passionate fans there :rolleyes:

Edited by '7'

Marty in playoffs, 1.96 GAA and a shutout every 7.5 games. Marty had 1 playoff year where he allowed over 3 GAA and 6 where he had a GAA under 2.

Roy in playoffs, 2.3 GAA and a shutout every 10.7 games. Roy had 3 playoffs years where had allowed over 3 GGA and 3 where he had a GAA under 2.

It's not so easy to just go well Roy has more playoffs wins so he must be better. Well it is that easy if you want to try to over simplify things.

I'd like to see how the goalies compared based on average goaltender numbers during those playoff years. A 1.96 GAA in 2003 is not as impressive as a 2.30 GAA in 1986.

I'd like to see how the goalies compared based on average goaltender numbers during those playoff years. A 1.96 GAA in 2003 is not as impressive as a 2.30 GAA in 1986.

the 85-86 season was second highest scoring season in NHL history.

I figured it had to be up there. Roy winning 10 playoff OT games in 93 is pretty damn impressive too. I don't think anyone mentioned that in this thread.

Roy was on an incredible OT streak then. Between 1993 and 1997 he was like 18-2 in playoff OT's.

Well spoken. Marty's accomplishments speak for themself. Shortly, no one will be any better than Brodeur.

You don't know anything about hockey icedog. zilch. you need to be in the basement guarding the bee.

Hasek led the NHL in save percentage six straight seasons playing behind a far inferior defense to Brodeur. Hasek was making 40 saves a night while Brodeur was rolling to cupcake 17 save shutout wins over the Whalers.

and Hasek never faced any pressure in Buffalo...right. No passionate fans there :rolleyes:

You're overrating Hasek a tad. His individual numbers put him on top but those teams were built to defend him like the modern-day Julienball

teams were. If he played his style on a team that didn't protect him, he'd get lit up a whole lot more than he did.

Hasek was a goalie that could play a shot extremely poorly and force himself to have to make 3 great saves afterward to keep it out. The thing that made him great, his ability to improvise and keep those extra shots out of the net... if it was lacking, would make him awful.

EDIT: and just for the record, he never faced 40 shots a night. And in his statistical prime, when he was winning those Hart Trophies and was *actually winning playoff series*, not being just good enough to lose, it was under 30 a night. in 2001, it was 25 a night. So, kill the exaggerations. I guess it was ALL him when they were holding teams down to 25 shots a night.

Edited by maxpower

Okay Claude 7, stop drinking the Kool Aid. We all seem to have forgotten how the Devils played the Whalers night after night. Please. Hartford wasn't in Buffalo's division either, but rather the Devils, right sporto? At the very least, be truthful.

Going into tonight's game, Brodeur has averaged 25 shots faced per game. Hasek for his career? 27. So much for the massive disparity in shots faced, eh Claude 7? Again, be truthful in your comments. Please don't perpetuate the lies against Brodeur and the Devils team at large.

Everyone, except you, knows that almost every award, especially the Vezina and Hart, are a popularity contest. You cannot take records away from players nor diminish them as they are concrete evidence of playing well. Marty wasn't respected until after his 3rd Cup win in 2003 when everyone realized that he was pretty much screwed on the Conn Smythe after posting three shutouts in four Cup Final wins.

Prior to that most GM's, writers, etc., never gave Brodeur his proper due always getting sucked into the "It's The System" comments out of other organizations, especially the New York Rangers, who were jealous of Marty and the Devils success. Funny, considering the counter attack philosophy, or for those who were sucked in "the Neutral Zone Trap" statements, was brought to the Devils organization from Jacques Lemaire. Everyone was fine with the same system when Lemaire and the Canadians were winning Cup after Cup. Lemaire was smart enough, after winning 8 Cups in a decade, to coach the Devils using the same system. Then certain people cried, "Foul!" Funny.

In sports once you have success and win, you become a target and rightfullly so. You could see teams gun for New Jersey after their sweep of the powerful Red Wings in '95, even after their successful '94 campaign. Sorry, but when was Buffalo considered a team to beat during the Hasek years? I never said that Buffalo didn't have passionate fans, they obviously do, but you cannot compare the two situations. Hasek had an outstanding '99 season in leading the Sabres to the Cup finals, but unlike Brodeur, Hasek lost his Game 7.

You obviously never played hockey Claude 7, nor any other competitive sports for that matter since you just don't get it. Reminds me of that old saying, "If you cannot be an athlete, at least you can be an athletic supporter." Be well.

GO DEVILS!!! Good luck Marty!!!

Marty Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils are on the doorstep of a legendary moment in player and team history. Don't blow it Lou and Jeff!

I'm not saying to overhype the piss out of it like that joke of a franchise the NY Rangers, who would be beating Marty's situation to death if he wore blue instead of red, but rather let's not miss out.

First off, decide what gear goes to the HOF in Toronto and what gets showcased at The Rock. Do not deny the fan base by displaying one item. THIS WILL NOT CUT IT. If the decision is made to send Marty's sweater up to Toronto, that's fine. Then his stick, glove, blocker and helmet stay in Newark to be displayed for eternity. Marty gets the puck, of course.

The team needs to have additional photographers and videographers for the game. There should be numerous photos and video of this most historical event and there should also be ideas in the works for a commemorative program, DVD, etc.

This is an event that no other team can share (and won't for a mighty long time, if ever) so it needs to be fully embraced. No fan visiting MSG, the Bell Center in Montreal, the Air Canada arena in Toronto or any other rink from Boston to Tampa, from LA to Vancouver can ever experience the display of hockey's greatess goaltender.

Other fans, when visiting The Rock, need to see this Brodeur showcase and understand that............Yes........the game's greatest netminder...........plays here............in New Jersey...............at the Prudential Center...........in Newark...........Welcome to The Rock!!!

So let's not drop the ball Lou and Jeff, do not deny Devil fans our continuing path towards greatness. New Jersey has already overtaken the hapless Rangers as the better and more successfull organization, this is without question and can be attributed to your leadership and for that, we thank and salute you!

Now the Devils have a golden opportunity to continue their path as one of hockey's (and professional sports in general) elite franchises so we need to "CARPE DIEM"!!!

email this to Devils management

I'm still waiting for Martin to carry an average team on his back to a cup final as Roy did TWICE (1986 & 1993) while standing on his head and facing a barrage of shots.

the 1995 Devils were 22-18-8

and somehow you consider them a powerhouse?

the 92-93 Canadiens were 48-30-6 and yet you consider them to NOT be a powerhouse?

hmmm