Why wasn't the team playing like this all season?

metallidevils

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all missed the main point of this, which is metallidevils being an a** for digging this back up to go look at me guys I was right.

Oh we see it. What is so fvcking stupid about it though is that both he and the majority of others who were crying impending doom were only 80 seconds from being completely wrong.

I don't know, I get the feeling that some people actually rather see the team fall flat on their faces if in the end it means that they were right. Why? All I'm reading today is about how "pissed off" and "fed up" people are with this team. Then there are the "I told you so" posts. Here is my advice. If it sucks that bad go take a fvcking hike! I'm not happy about the loss but I'm not mad either. Instead I'm extremely upset for the players because these guys came up short and know they let themselves down as well as their fans. For me it's simple. I support these guys for one reason and one reason only. I want to see them do well and accomplish great things. Who gives a sh!t who made the right predictions and who didn't? Does that even matter?

Some will say these guys just play for money but I don't need to look any further then our Captain to know it means more then that to these guys. You don't do what he did with the injury situation if you don't give a fvck. Look last night was a big letdown and was by far the worst loss I have ever experienced live. It really still hasn't sunk in. What's even more disappointing though is people using this moment as an opportunity to show off that they were right or knew what was coming. Well I sure hope this was satisfying. Yeah we get it. The Devils suck whether it be management or the players. They're frauds. Go spew that sh*t to a die-hard Islander fan and then hope he doesn't kick your ass down the street.

At the end of the day the team came up short. It happens. In fact it has not happened only 3 times since 1982. They come up short a lot. But even with that poor ratio you'll be hard pressed to find fans that have it better then us not just in hockey but in any sport for that matter. While it's very easy to bitch and be pissed off right now, imo it wouldn't kill anyone to take a step back and realize what you are part of and appreciate the good moments we shared with this group.

Edited by SickMan

Oh we see it. What is so fvcking stupid about it though is that both he and the majority of others who were crying impending doom were only 80 seconds from being completely wrong.

I don't know, I get the feeling that some people actually rather see the team fall flat on their faces if in the end it means that they were right. Why? All I'm reading today is about how "pissed off" and "fed up" people are with this team. Then there are the "I told you so" posts. Here is my advise. If it sucks that bad go take a fvcking hike! I'm not happy about the loss but I'm not mad either. Instead I'm extremely upset for the players because these guys came up short and know they let themselves down as well as their fans. For me it's simple. I support these guys for one reason and one reason only. I want to see them do well and accomplish great things. Who gives a sh!t who made the right predictions and who didn't? Does that even matter?

Some will say these guys just play for money but I don't need to look any further then our Captain to know it means more then that to these guys. You don't do what he did with the injury situation if you don't give a fvck. Look last night was a big letdown and was by far the worst loss I have ever experienced live. It really still hasn't sunk in. What's even more disappointing though is people using this moment as an opportunity to show off that they were right or knew what was coming. Well I sure hope this was satisfying. Yeah we get it. The Devils suck whether it be management or the players. They're frauds. Go spew that sh*t to a die-hard Islander fan and then hope he doesn't kick your ass down the street.

At the end of the day the team came up short. It happens. In fact it has not happened only 3 times since 1982. They come up short a lot. But even with that poor ratio you'll be hard pressed to find fans that have it better then us not just in hockey but in any sport for that matter. While it's very easy to bitch and be pissed off right now, imo it wouldn't kill anyone to take a step back and realize what you are part of and appreciate the good moments we shared with this group.

wow i can't disagree with a single thing in this post.

I don't know, I get the feeling that some people actually rather see the team fall flat on their faces if in the end it means that they were right. Why? All I'm reading today is about how "pissed off" and "fed up" people are with this team. Then there are the "I told you so" posts. Here is my advice. If it sucks that bad go take a fvcking hike! I'm not happy about the loss but I'm not mad either. Instead I'm extremely upset for the players because these guys came up short and know they let themselves down as well as their fans. For me it's simple. I support these guys for one reason and one reason only. I want to see them do well and accomplish great things. Who gives a sh!t who made the right predictions and who didn't? Does that even matter?

Great post about the overall scheme of things.

Your points are valid but have nothing to do with the thread. This isn't about not appreciating the accomplishments of the team, or about saying the guys didn't play with all they've got.

You all missed the main point of this, which is metallidevils being an a** for digging this back up to go look at me guys I was right.

He had the right. Triumph's "I'm always right, no one knows more about hockey than me" shtick was simply begging to be taken down a notch. The fact that Tri's trying to hide behind it by complaining about something stupid like a bet only proves his arrogance. But of course you'd be in his corner, you're almost as arrogant as he is.

Your points are valid but have nothing to do with the thread. This isn't about not appreciating the accomplishments of the team, or about saying the guys didn't play with all they've got.

Sure they do. Why else would you bump this thread if not to just throw this in the face of everyone who didn't agree with you and in this case specifically Tri. You turned out to be completely right about the fate of the team. Shouldn't it be enough for you to know you were right instead of putting it on blast for everyone to see? And like I said before, you were so close to being so wrong. It could have went either way.

My post could have easily been posted in the other ridiculous threads such as the one requesting that a particular player kill himself for allowing a game winning goal. I posted in this one though because you took the opportunity to throw sh!t in someones face and quite honestly I think its complete bull considering what the hell we went through last night. Why do people feel the need to do that? Don't take that as a knock at your commitment to the team. I'm sure you care plenty. Why else would you be here debating this? I just don't see how this is important at a time like this. And whether it's this thread or some other, it just seems to me that a good number of people want to jump on their high horse. I guess that is all fine and dandy but I think it's total horse sh*t to feel vindicated right now. It really just makes me wonder what some of us are in this for.

Edited by SickMan

Like Rowdy said, this was meant for Triumph and has nothing to do with you, and if you've been here long enough and read enough of his posts (you don't even need to read anything besides what was in this thread) you'd know why.

I don't pick fights with people here and try to act nice, but I'm tired of him and the choice words and insults he writes for people who disagree with him.

A year or so ago when I made a thread about Lou's mistakes for the past season, he disagreed, and because he disagreed with me, came to the conclusion that I'm not old enough to drive (which is entirely false). Enough is enough.

wow i can't disagree with a single thing in this post.

Here is one disagreement. Nobody wants to see this team to lose to say I told you so. I didn't see the Devils going far, but why would I ever bet on something I really don't want to see happen.

I think it be really fvcking sad if someone was happy to see the team lose just to say I told you so.

And no one was 80 seconds from being completely wrong. The fact that they may have only won in game 7 of the first round by one goal means they were probably right.

You know what's funny. Everyone thinks Devils fans are spoiled. Unfortunately this is what it is like for every good team in all sports. Red Sox fans going ape sh!t for every loss after tasting two finals in the last 5 years. Celtics fans calling Pierce (arguably one of the best and most clutch players) finished because he missed a late free throw in the first round. Yankees fans and Cowboys are the same. Spurs fans are all screaming that their dynasty is probably over and are saying the same things about Tim Duncan that Devils fans are saying about Brodeur. Are they right? No, but this is what it's like for every fan base that has had loads of success. They are thirstier and greedier than teams that don't do well.ink

And I think it's fine if that people are fvcking pissed and upset. On March 17th, would any single fan on this board be okay with a first round loss let alone a second round loss. The players even said they started believing the hype and were thinking of going to the Finals.

Now that doesn't mean that half these threads haven't been dumb. Because they have been. Just because Marty isn't the same player he once was doesn't mean we have to trade him. But there is going to be a ton of negativity on these boards, and there should be. If there wasn't, I would wonder if Devils fans had any passion or a pulse.

triumph's posts are one of the few reasons i still come to this board.

don't hate on the greatness.

Perhaps the blind worship of you and the rest of the "original NJDEV six club" are the cause of the arrogance that bleeds through his posts.

Here is one disagreement. Nobody wants to see this team to lose to say I told you so. I didn't see the Devils going far, but why would I ever bet on something I really don't want to see happen.

I think it be really fvcking sad if someone was happy to see the team lose just to say I told you so.

i really disagree with this. i've been on hockey message boards for 10 years now. and on sports message boards in general, there is this certain type of fan that hedges - they're all over the team, they hate all the players, trade them all, so that this way at least they can hide in the glorious folds of 'being right' if their lousy rotten awful team loses (which it does a much larger % of the time than it wins it all), and if the club somehow manages to scrape together some wins, well they're happy the team is winning (even though they are a lousy rotten awful bunch). when the team starts losing, they suddenly show up, carping about how they are right, and when the team wins, they're nowhere to be found.

And no one was 80 seconds from being completely wrong. The fact that they may have only won in game 7 of the first round by one goal means they were probably right.

how can you come to that conclusion? if one person had said, 'it's a certainty the devils will win the first round', and one person had said, 'it's a certainty the devils will lose in the first round', how can either of them be correct in light of the way the series went down? in fact, how can either of them ever be right?

And I think it's fine if that people are fvcking pissed and upset. On March 17th, would any single fan on this board be okay with a first round loss let alone a second round loss. The players even said they started believing the hype and were thinking of going to the Finals.

nobody is ever okay with a first round loss besides like, columbus fans. and yeah, i am really disappointed with the first round loss, for sure. i thought this team was going to the 2nd round this year, and i thought it had a chance of going to the Finals. some things came unglued, the team suffered a few injuries, and ultimately didn't play as well as i thought they would - in march, i would've said the devils are 2 to 1 favorites to win the first round against any opponent, and when the playoffs started i thought this series was virtually a coinflip. and by the way i haven't forgotten your post in this thread - it might take me a few days to respond to it, but i will do so.

Edited by Triumph

Anyone watch or listen to NHL Live yesterday? Well Billy Jaffe was in and he was talking about the Devils and said how suprised and shocked he was to see the outcome too just like the rest of us. Then he said, "when this Devils team was rolling along during the season and when Brodeur cameback the team was still rolling and went 9-1 in Brodeur's first ten starts, then Brodeur got the all-time wins record @ 552 the team was on an emotional high and playing the best hockey in the NHL and was the clear favorite to go to represent the EC in the SCF..."

Then Jaffe paused and then said, "something happened to this Devils team a game or two after Brodeur got the all-time wins record." "This Devils team went in the wrong direction for some reason and Jaffe thinks something happened behind the scenes in the locker room or beyond with the players and possibly Sutter for this Devils team to just shut off like that." "Maybe something was said that this Devils team did not like or wanted to respond too as their season changed right after all the emotions and playing well up to Brodeur's record game." "Something had to happen behind the scenes with the Devils, because they were so good and then just to turn it off and play the way they did, it is just hard to believe", said Jaffe.

IMO, maybe he is right in a way. Maybe something did happen along those lines behind the scenes and some of the playes stopped playing and maybe stopped playing for Sutter. This Devils team was playing so well all season long until the second game after Brodeur broke the all-time wins record. After that it looked like a different Devils team. What Billy Jaffe was saying yesterday makes you just wonder if something did happen because this was a different Devils team after that point of the season. :noclue:

i really disagree with this. i've been on hockey message boards for 10 years now. and on sports message boards in general, there is this certain type of fan that hedges - they're all over the team, they hate all the players, trade them all, so that this way at least they can hide in the glorious folds of 'being right' if their lousy rotten awful team loses (which it does a much larger % of the time than it wins it all), and if the club somehow manages to scrape together some wins, well they're happy the team is winning (even though they are a lousy rotten awful bunch). when the team starts losing, they suddenly show up, carping about how they are right, and when the team wins, they're nowhere to be found.

how can you come to that conclusion? if one person had said, 'it's a certainty the devils will win the first round', and one person had said, 'it's a certainty the devils will lose in the first round', how can either of them be correct in light of the way the series went down? in fact, how can either of them ever be right?

I've seen it to. I'm a big Toronto Raptors fan, and for the past two seasons, the team had two very good young point guards who split time and all the fans were split down the middle on who they liked. When one was in the game, fans of the other would really hope the team would struggle and lose to prove a point and vise versa. Finally one of them was traded, and a good group of fans hoped the one left would struggle just to say I told you so and we traded the wrong point guard.

Anyway, I just don't see a situation like that with fans on this board. Did people hope Brodeur fvcked up late in the game to say. "I told you he is washed up and not the same goalie anymore." I just don't see it. Maybe some people hoped Weekes struggled in nets just to say, "I told you so if they liked Clemmer (some people should get that reference), but I just think everyone wanted the Devils to win so badly regardless if they thought they could or couldn't.

As for your second point. My point is just the mere fact that we we struggled to put away the Hurricanes all series as they answered every goal, as the team finally succumbed means that were people right as the team as a whole in this playoffs. The fact that this was more than slump and there were serious problems with a ton of key players, and that we weren't the same team. It wasn't as bacl and white as winning the first round or not.

As for your second point. My point is just the mere fact that we we struggled to put away the Hurricanes all series as they answered every goal, as the team finally succumbed means that were people right as the team as a whole in this playoffs. The fact that this was more than slump and there were serious problems with a ton of key players, and that we weren't the same team. It wasn't as bacl and white as winning the first round or not.

Yeah, people seem to be missing this. Whether we squeaked out a win or not is a moot point; the team still didn't play very good.

I like how Triumph is still trying to make me out to be the bad guy, after all the name calling and insults. I never said for sure that the team would win or lose the first round; I just made an observation that the team isn't as good as they seemed to be in the first half of the season. If Triumph handled this (and other situations that he disagreed with) differently I wouldn't have bumped the thread at all, however I'm still waiting for an answer as to why/how the team was able to play so well in the first half and what brought them down to earth, which I think is actually an interesting point of discussion.

Yeah, people seem to be missing this. Whether we squeaked out a win or not is a moot point; the team still didn't play very good.

I like how Triumph is still trying to make me out to be the bad guy, after all the name calling and insults. I never said for sure that the team would win or lose the first round; I just made an observation that the team isn't as good as they seemed to be in the first half of the season. If Triumph handled this (and other situations that he disagreed with) differently I wouldn't have bumped the thread at all, however I'm still waiting for an answer as to why/how the team was able to play so well in the first half and what brought them down to earth, which I think is actually an interesting point of discussion.

my thoughts on this are simply that all teams go through highs and lows. haven't we realized at this point that for the last 4 years, the devils have had stretches where they were the best team in hockey and would beat just about anything that came there way.

the thing is, all pretty good teams go through these stretches. just like they go through stretches where they can't do anything right. the devils had both of these this year (again, for the 4th year). what is the difference. i would say the cruelness of fate and luck with regards to athletic competition where strange bounces and fluke things happen on every other shift. couple this with the undoubted importance of confidence and you can see how things can go from incredible highs to desperate lows very quickly.

that's my macro answer.

the micro level would suggest that 552 had something to do with it. i can't deny that the 2 weeks after that were a result of a natural letdown from such an emotional high. as for the playoffs, the devils did NOT play badly. frankly, they played slightly worse if not equal to how they did in the middle of the season. the big difference was that over the last 12 days, they weren't playing disinterested out of conference teams on 4 game road trips in the middle of january over another long season.

the playoffs are a different animal no matter who you play. the opponent is ALWAYS up for the game and regardless of what it might look like, skating as hard as possible to win. you don't "not have our legs tonight" in april-may-june.

the canes, despite the 6 seed, were a good team with a very good goaltender. frankly, they were very similar to the devils except for the fact that their top line wasn't set - it was just whoever played with staal.

Anyone watch or listen to NHL Live yesterday? Well Billy Jaffe was in and he was talking about the Devils and said how suprised and shocked he was to see the outcome too just like the rest of us. Then he said, "when this Devils team was rolling along during the season and when Brodeur cameback the team was still rolling and went 9-1 in Brodeur's first ten starts, then Brodeur got the all-time wins record @ 552 the team was on an emotional high and playing the best hockey in the NHL and was the clear favorite to go to represent the EC in the SCF..."

Then Jaffe paused and then said, "something happened to this Devils team a game or two after Brodeur got the all-time wins record." This Devils team went in the wrong direction for some reason and Jaffe thinks something happened behind the scenes in the locker room or beyond with the players and possibly Sutter for this Devils team to just shut off like that. "Maybe something was said that this Devils team did not like or wanted to respond too as their season changed right after all the emotions and playing well up to Brodeur's record game." "Something had to happen behind the scenes with the Devils, because they were so good and then just to turn it off and play the way they did, it is just hard to believe", said Jaffe.

It is an interesting question. Unfortunately the likelihood of us getting any answers are slim and none.

Maybe Sutter will write a book some day and talk about it in his chapter on the Devils.