Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

I HATE the sac bunt with no outs to move the runner to thrid, especially with guys hitting .230 and .243 behind him. Dumb

if its in a situation where its late in the game i dont mind it. but in the first inning its just ridiculous, regardless of whose on deck too.. playing for 1 run, in the 1st inning with this lineup, makes no sense.

despite castillo having a nice year with the bat he always bunts guys over (on his own) which drives me nuts.. you have a .395 OBP, why the hell are you sac bunting?

Edited by nmigliore

Wow, tonight's lineup is fun for the masochistic side of us:

Sullivan - CF

Castillo - 2B

Tatis - 3B (Wright's under the weather)

Murphy - 1B

Francoeur - RF

Reed - CF

Cora - SS

Schnieder - C

Livan - P

So let's see, we have about fifteen HR's in the entire lineup aside from Francoeur, Schnieder and his sub .200 average, a .250 hitter batting cleanup and a Rockies castoff hitting leadoff.

So this means tomorrow we'll find out that he is out for the season with an injury.

Any desire I've had to watch this team has evaporated. They're boring, heartless, and non competitive. And there is no hope on the horizon. I realize they're not making the playoffs...but will we get anybody back EVER? At least I'd like to finish the season strong and watch a team with major league players on it.

Any desire I've had to watch this team has evaporated. They're boring, heartless, and non competitive. And there is no hope on the horizon. I realize they're not making the playoffs...but will we get anybody back EVER? At least I'd like to finish the season strong and watch a team with major league players on it.

i rather them shut down the guys who will be back for 2010 (reyes, beltran, and maine) .. wagner has been rehabbing and has been sharp; he'll be back soon .. delgado should be back before the month ends .. no clue on when putz is returning ..

they will call up some players from AAA and maybe a couple of AA prospects come september when the rosters expand.. they would have to make a little room for some of them on the 40-man roster but that shouldn't be a problem when you have guys like argenis reyes, arturo lopez, carlos muniz, and ken takahashi taking up spots.

Edited by nmigliore

Wow, tonight's lineup is fun for the masochistic side of us:

Sullivan - CF

Castillo - 2B

Tatis - 3B (Wright's under the weather)

Murphy - 1B

Francoeur - RF

Reed - CF

Cora - SS

Schnieder - C

Livan - P

So let's see, we have about fifteen HR's in the entire lineup aside from Francoeur, Schnieder and his sub .200 average, a .250 hitter batting cleanup and a Rockies castoff hitting leadoff.

that lineup sucks! if the Mets were near first place and fighting for a a spot wright would play... the stars we have arent going to want to play. Reyes, Beltran there is no rush to come back to a losing team. if I was santana I'd fake an injury and save himself for next year.

With football starting and hockey a month away, screw baseball.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/2009/08/new-look-mets-this-weekend.html

According to the team announcement: "In addition, the Mets have begun installation of photographic imagery of famous players and historic moments in team history on the Field and Promenade Levels as well as the display of team championship banners on the left-field wall."

I like Citi Field and Im not really one of the complainers about how there isn't enough Mets stuff, but Im so glad they are moving the banners where everyone can see them. This is exactly what I was hoping for and I remember making a post somewhere (dunno if it was here or not) of how I wished they would move the banners to a spot like where they had them at Shea.

The article also states the Mets will be wearing these jerseys this weekend:

throwbackjersey.JPG

Edited by nmigliore

wow an actual collision at the plate.. good to know some players still have balls.

mark reynolds is such a gritty player.. one could argue his strikeouts make him somewhat unattractive but you gotta respect his power and the attitude he plays the game with.

well feliciano finally falters.. oh well, if they lose we move up to the 9th overall spot for the 2010 draft.. losing is very tolerable.

Edited by nmigliore

Jerry's an unimaginable moron, leaving Green in to BAT just to get another inning out of him. Not K-Rod, not even a guy like Stokes or Feliciano but your freaking worst reliever.

with the way this team has rolled over and died...Jerry seems destined for the same fate Art Howe met. Not that he has much to work with, but his in game decisions have been strange and we need to rid ourselves of as many links to 07 and this year as possible.

looks like Corey Sullivan is making a run at the 2010 4th OFer job that i once thought would easily be pagan's (well he still leads the competition IMO).. but yeah, at least that should be a fun competition to watch between pagan, reed, and sullivan for the next month and a half :lol:

re: jerry - meh, its the same old story with him... he always tends to make 1-2 questionable decisions in games, he did this last year too (although this year i think hes been worse)..

Edited by nmigliore

im sure there is a stat like this but i've honestly never come across it.. but anyway i decided to rank the starting pitchers in order of 'length' they give us in a game (or innings pitched per start).. i didn't convert the numbers to actual IP sums (like 6.1, 6.2 etc) since i dont know how to do that.. but you should get the general idea, this is what i got:

IP/S (innings pitched per start): 'LENGTH'

Santana IP/S : 6.65

Hernandez IP/S : 5.87

Pelfrey IP/S : 5.77

Maine IP/S : 5.56

Perez IP/S : 5.00

..then i decided to get their ERA based off of their IP/S..

IP/S ERA (ERA based off of their innings pitched per start): 'LENGTH ERA'

Santana IP/S ERA : 2.22

Hernandez IP/S ERA : 3.44

Pelfrey IP/S ERA : 3.13

Maine IP/S ERA : 2.79

Perez IP/S ERA : 3.32

..and then i came up with this grading system..

IP/S minus IP/S ERA (grading system .. the higher the differential, the better): TMSPRS RATING

Santana IP/S minus IP/S ERA difference : 4.43

Hernandez IP/S minus IP/S ERA difference : 2.43

Pelfrey IP/S minus IP/S ERA difference : 2.64

Maine IP/S minus IP/S ERA difference : 2.77

Perez IP/S minus IP/S ERA difference : 1.68

it would be awesome to get all of the starting pitcher's IP/S, IP/S ERA, and IP/S-IP/S ERA in the league and rank them and get a general idea of what you have.. like the league IP/S should give you an idea of who is giving below average, average, or above average 'length' in games.. if there is something already like this stat please let me know, but i've never been able to find it.

edit: for the hell of it i did Roy Halladay's rating and it came out to be 5.52.

edit/update August 14th: I posted this on another forum (mets-related) and it seems like people are really liking it.. there seems to be a couple flaws (it tends to over-value length) but i think they are fixable.

and yes i named all of them lol (TMSPRS - The Migliore Starting Pitcher Rating System)

Edited by nmigliore

6 IP, 3 hits, 0 runs, 0 BB/7 K .. 7-4 GB/FB .. only 86 pitches.

wow, that was some outing from Parnell.. he looked like the polar opposite of how he looked last week in SD.. the main thing noticeable was he threw strike after strike and got ahead of hitters (and the few he fell behind on he got back even and put them away).. his slider was downright nasty and he threw a few nice changeups.

very encouraging ... ill tell you if he demonstrates this kind of control every start hes going to stick in a big league rotation.

I saw the score at the end of the fifth inning (and that Parnell was being left in to bat) at halftime of the Jet game and was like 'Holy ****!'.

Maybe there's some actual light at the end of the tunnel for the Mets and the Jets between Parnell and Sanchez's performances tonight :D

Edited by Hasan4978

i have to say out of the 5 games the giants/mets have met i really haven't been impressed by the giants... their offense doesn't look very good and they are composed of guys who cant draw a walk (fwiw, they rank 2nd to last in the NL in both walks drawn and OBP).. but then again when you have tim lincecum and matt cain headlining your rotation i guess anything is possible.

Edited by nmigliore

Well they did bring in Sanchez and Garko before the deadline, not that they're anything great but anything is an improvement over what they've had most of the season offensively.

Sanchez is a good player, hes having a nice year for a 2B.. Garko has always been kind of 'meh' .. hes like Ryan Church at 1B basically.

that is some great work there nmig

thanks, its pretty funny how it just came out of nowhere.. i wanted to just see the average 'length' our starters were giving us in games.. and the ERA idea popped in my head and then i figured since its good to have a high length and low length ERA so why not subtract the 2 and get the difference and use it as some kind of 'rating'. so far it seems to be working pretty well except that i am probably going to need to multiply the runs given up so that it balances out a bit more (right now it over-values length).

Edited by nmigliore