Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

I would clean out Omar and his inner circle, but keep the core intact. Depends on what we can get for Reyes. I would see if we can land a quality #2 starter and some franchises top 5 prospect. Sign Miguel Tejada to hold the fort at SS for like 2 years.

Edited by '7'

I will agree that this team needs a completely new front office.. Jeff Wilpon needs to cut ties with Minaya and Co. and Jerry too (I know its not really Jerry's fault but he always makes questionable managerial decisions and you need to just get rid of him).. Bobby V is a 'free agent' get him in here now...

and word of advice, im not trying to be racist, but, lets sign a WHITE GM this time... thanks.

john schuerholz is out there, though he's probably too old to be a GM. I would try to pry him away as Braves president to become the Mets president. Then he can pick the GM and at least start laying down the right foundation.

Santana was pitching a good game and was only at about 100 pitches after 8 innings, no reason to pull him out of the game; at least let him start the 9th.... i know we are paying rodriguez to close games out but Santana also is able to go complete games once in a while. K- Rod really BLEW that game and save tonight! 40 pitches in one inning.............. I am not impressed with K-Rod at all this season. Mets shouldve signed Brian Fuentes instead of K-Rod.. K-Rod had a great year LAST year and used that to get a HIGH MONEY BIG contract...... I never liked Manuel as manager and he clearly is NOT making good decisions! IMO. ...... Randolph was a good manager or at least better than manuel!!! FIRE MANUEL!!

IS IT HOCKEY AND FOOTBALL SEASON YET!!!?!!?

Santana was pitching a good game and was only at about 100 pitches after 8 innings, no reason to pull him out of the game; at least let him start the 9th.... i know we are paying rodriguez to close games out but Santana also is able to go complete games once in a while. K- Rod really BLEW that game and save tonight! 40 pitches in one inning.............. I am not impressed with K-Rod at all this season. Mets shouldve signed Brian Fuentes instead of K-Rod.. K-Rod had a great year LAST year and used that to get a HIGH MONEY BIG contract...... I never liked Manuel as manager and he clearly is NOT making good decisions! IMO. ...... Randolph was a good manager or at least better than manuel!!! FIRE MANUEL!!

IS IT HOCKEY AND FOOTBALL SEASON YET!!!?!!?

Fuentes isn't that good.. hes almost giving up a hit per inning and his walk rate isn't THAT much better than K-Rod's.. and last year's closer market was pretty bare .. Kerry Wood, Brian Fuentes, Trevor Hoffman, and K-Rod were basically the main names.. and thats an easy choice - K-Rod because of age and very consistent past success.

Edited by nmigliore

I will agree that this team needs a completely new front office.. Jeff Wilpon needs to cut ties with Minaya and Co. and Jerry too (I know its not really Jerry's fault but he always makes questionable managerial decisions and you need to just get rid of him).. Bobby V is a 'free agent' get him in here now...

and word of advice, im not trying to be racist, but, lets sign a WHITE GM this time... thanks.

You mean a white GM like Steve Phillips, Al Harazin, or Joe MacIlvane? Unfortunately incompetence knows no racial bounds. Honestly all I care about is the next GM knowing what the fvck he's doing. As long as the next GM isn't a befuddled stammering moron who's a borderline racist I'll be happy, regardless of his background. Having said that, Omar hasn't exactly set the bar very high, as far as Latino GMs go.

Bobby V would be interesting, in that he'd be coming here with a clean slate, as far as players go. The new GM would have to be amenable to Boby picking some of the personnel though...I think he likes to be highly involved in such matters.

Fuentes isn't that good.. hes almost giving up a hit per inning and his walk rate isn't THAT much better than K-Rod's.. and last year's closer market was pretty bare .. Kerry Wood, Brian Fuentes, Trevor Hoffman, and K-Rod were basically the main names.. and thats an easy choice - K-Rod because of age and very consistent past success.

Yeah, it was a no-brainer, really. And seriously, from here on out I could care less what K-Rod does...the team's dead anyway. If the Mets come back strong next year (we can dream) and K-Rod does his job, will what he's doing now, in garbage time, really matter?

God, could this day have gone any worse for the Mets? Lose a 7-4 lead with K-Rod blowing the save, Murphy with a crap AB in the bottom of the ninth with two on, five runs in the tenth with Jerry shooting the whole wad and using his entire pen and to top that off the Castillo thing. It's to the point where it's actually getting amusing now.

I think "amusing" is a speck in the rearview mirror. Right now we're mapquesting "embarrassing" and "pathetic".

If Murphy ever becomes anything more than a decent reserve I'll be shocked. I'm hoping the Mets realized that they fvcked up with him, overrated him badly, and move on.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think "amusing" is a speck in the rearview mirror. Right now we're mapquesting "embarrassing" and "pathetic".

:rimshot:

If Murphy even becomes anything more than a decent reserve I'll be shocked. I'm hoping the Mets realized that they fvcked up with him, overrated him badly, and move on.

i dunno, he hit .313/.397/.473 in over 100 at bats last year.. i dont think that warrants a team to name him a starting LF'er the next year but I guess they felt they didn't need a long-term fix in LF with F-Mart already at AAA.

Murphy is still a good hitter, its hard to argue his plate approach (well sometimes, like last night's at bat in the 9th inning, you could really scratch your head).. his BB/K ratio is actually better than it was last year.. Murphy's contact% is actually up from last year too.. his line-drive% is way down from last year though and his fly-ball% is way up (maybe hes trying to lift the ball too much? could be).. unfortunately murphy probably doesn't have a future in this organization unless he moves to 2B or is used as a bench bat.

Edited by nmigliore

i dunno, he hit .313/.397/.473 in over 100 at bats last year.. i dont think that warrants a tam to name him a starting LF'er the next year but I guess they felt they didn't need a long-term fix in LF with F-Mart already at AAA.

Murphy is still a good hitter, its hard to argue his plate approach (well sometimes, like last night's at bat in the 9th inning, you could really scratch your head).. his BB/K ratio is actually better than it was last year.. Murphy's contact% is actually up from last year too.. his line-drive% is way down from last year though and his fly-ball% is way up (maybe hes trying to lift the ball too much? could be).. unfortunately murphy probably doesn't have a future in this organization unless he moves to 2B or is used as a bench bat.

The league's had a chance to adjust to him. Murphy has yet to show the ability to adjust back...he's been stuck in the .240s forever now. With all of his other shortcomings (defense, lack of power and speed, etc.) he's going to have to become a singles/doubles/get on base machine...think a .325+ batting average and at least a .380 on-base%. I just don't see him becoming that, and I'd hate to see the Mets waste two or three seasons trying to see if he can. I think his fate here is somewhat tied to Omar's...if Omar comes back, Murph gets another year here...if not, I'd say he has a good chance of being moved, though he won't bring much of a return off this season.

EDIT: I see that Murphy has finally gotten out of .240-land and is up to .251. Woo hoo!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The league's had a chance to adjust to him. Murphy has yet to show the ability to adjust back...he's been stuck in the .240s forever now. With all of his other shortcomings (defense, lack of power and speed, etc.) he's going to have to become a singles/doubles/get on base machine...think a .325+ batting average and at least a .380 on-base%. I just don't see him becoming that, and I'd hate to see the Mets waste two or three seasons trying to see if he can. I think his fate here is somewhat tied to Omar's...

i wouldn't mind keeping him if they moved him to 2B but thats not going to happen, or at least i dont think it will..

if Omar comes back, Murph gets another year here...if not, I'd say he has a good chance of being moved, though he won't bring much of a return off this season.

EDIT: I see that Murphy has finally gotten out of .240-land and is up to .251. Woo hoo!

murphy seems like one of those guys that could be packaged into a deal around other prospects to acquire a need (LF'er, catcher, #2 starter)

HOLY fvckING sh!t!

Jon Niese is badly hurt. Of course something bad had to happen to offset David Wright actually hitting a homer.

Oh great...Nelson "what the fvck am I doing here?" Figueroa is coming into the game. Awesome.

and now Niese is hurt.... there goes his value.

I was hoping he'd be able to pitch for the Mets in the seasons to come. Now the Mets are probably stuck retaining Maine if it's something serious with Niese. Oh I can't wait for the Mets' medical staff to get a hold of Niese.

I haven't been watching the last two days, what happened to Niese?

went to stretch while covering 1B and did a split basically.. hurt something (ankle? knee? leg?).. threw a warm-up pitch to test whatever he hurt and fell to the ground in pain on follow-through

Edited by nmigliore

and of all people Niese... why not Perez? why not Livan Hernandez?

if hes out for the rest of the year thats going to suck... he still should be the team's #5 guy though next year if hes not dealt. he has no business in AAA anymore

Edited by nmigliore

Well I got some inside dirt on the mets last night. My friends older brother met rick peterson in a bar last night(all 3 of us are met fans). He said they talked for a good 2 hours. He said the mets were the worst run team in sports, omar never even graduated high school, jerry stabbed everyone in the back to become manager and he's still good friends with willie.

Well I got some inside dirt on the mets last night. My friends older brother met rick peterson in a bar last night(all 3 of us are met fans). He said they talked for a good 2 hours. He said the mets were the worst run team in sports, omar never even graduated high school, jerry stabbed everyone in the back to become manager and he's still good friends with willie.

Was your freind sure to thank him for his wonderful 5 minutes with Victor Zambrano?

He said the mets were the worst run team in sports

sounds like sour grapes but i guess he has a point.

omar never even graduated high school

i have a hard time believing that but hes probably gone by seasons end anyway

jerry stabbed everyone in the back to become manager and he's still good friends with willie.

how though? minaya fired willie and peterson and replaced willie with jerry who was the bench coach... how did jerry backstab anyone to become manager? the dark cloud was hanging over willie since the day after the 2007 season ended

Edited by nmigliore

Eh, there's a lot we will never know. I think I'm gonna take there word for it. In other news he was not wearing a bullpen jacket and the mullet is in full force.

Was your freind sure to thank him for his wonderful 5 minutes with Victor Zambrano?

To be fair, he was the only guy that could make Ollie look like he belongs in the big league, let alone a #2.