Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

Yeah, pretty much. I really wish the Mets had someone else (youth) to take his place in the rotation...overall he's been decent for a #5, but he doesn't fit into the Mets' plans beyond this year...his starts are just a waste of time at this point. Maybe someone will trade for him, but it's not going to be for anything more than a bag of balls.

Parnell starting should be interesting... I still think he ends up as the setup man next year, and I only say that because: a) hes only shown confidence in throwing 2 pitches - slider, fastball .. and b) his numbers as a starter in the minors are pretty pedestrian.

He'll be starting in place of Pelfrey (who is in NY b/c of the birth of his son Chase Pelf') and his pitch limit will be 60-75 pitches

Edited by nmigliore

its better than offering them arbitration

god knows wagner would accept it since he'll probably get peanuts since he hasn't pitched but they can either take probably a low, low, low caliber prospect or just let them leave. They're not going to get anything for Wagner since he's coming off major surgery but they could get a little something for Delgado if he comes back and plays well

ahhh the wonderful wonders of oliver perez... absolute domination through 6 innings and then he falls apart in the 7th (who didn't see it coming though? its kinda funny, i was gonna post how great perez was looking after he finished that 6 inning but i just knew he was DUE to collapse, and so i never bothered to post)..

anyway, brian stokes really saved his ass.

Edited by nmigliore

lol another blown save for K-Rod .... the word overrated is just about right around the corner.

i wonder what everyone will be saying when he does this in a meaningful game next year...... or in a playoff game....

Edited by nmigliore

lol another blown save for K-Rod .... the word overrated is just about right around the corner.

i wonder what everyone will be saying when he does this in a meaningful game next year...... or in a playoff game....

You really think the Mets will be playing in meaningful games next year? And you know what Jim Mora would say about playoffs...

Seriously though, not that I trust the Mets' medical staff in the slightest, but if there's anything even a little wrong with K-Rod physically, then he needs to be shut down right now. There's absolutely no reason to keep throwing him out there when this season's already gone up in flames.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Seriously though, not that I trust the Mets' medical staff in the slightest, but if there's anything even a little wrong with K-Rod physically, then he needs to be shut down right now. There's absolutely no reason to keep throwing him out there when this season's already gone up in flames.

With the way this season has gone I wouldn't be surprized if K-Rod was injured.

K-Rod's groundball/fyball ratio is the lowest its been his entire career, his line-drive percentage is the highest its been in his entire career .. his K-rate is a career low and his BB-rate is a career high .. his 3.31 ERA hides the fact hes not been as good as he should be.

..I can only hope this is just a flukey not-so-great season.

Mets NEED a win tonight.

For what, to get six games under .500 instead of eight? Any meaningful connotation for wins and losses sailed when they lost three of four to Arizona.

And Parnell's first 'start' was as ugly as Joba's last year. Switching these guys from relievers to starters mid-stream is so problematic.

Edited by Hasan4978

64 pitches for Parnell as he is pulled leaving a bases load jam for figgy with 1 out in the 3rd...

i hate judging pitchers on pitch counts like this but i wasn't really impressed at all.. he threw a ton of fastballs with a few sliders here and there, and only 1 changeup.. if parnell wants to have any thought of being a starter hes going to need a dependable 3rd pitch. his control was also not very good.

he sort of reminds me of john maine but with lesser control.. deep counts, bunch of fouled off pitches, struggling to put hitter's away.

64 pitches for Parnell as he is pulled leaving a bases load jam for figgy with 1 out in the 3rd...

i hate judging pitchers on pitch counts like this but i wasn't really impressed at all.. he threw a ton of fastballs with a few sliders here and there, and only 1 changeup.. if parnell wants to have any thought of being a starter hes going to need a dependable 3rd pitch. his control was also not very good.

he sort of reminds me of john maine but with lesser control.. deep counts, bunch of fouled off pitches, struggling to put hitter's away.

You can't make anything out of that. He's got to stretch his arm out. He'd probably be a little better off making this adjustment in the minors, but with the Mets being where they are I guess it doesn't make that much difference.

Speaking of Maine, I hope he doesn't fit into the Mets' plans for next season. He had his career year two years ago (you may remember me saying that after the '07 season...I felt the same way about Ollie).

You can't make anything out of that. He's got to stretch his arm out. He'd probably be a little better off making this adjustment in the minors, but with the Mets being where they are I guess it doesn't make that much difference.

i know thats why i said i dont like judging these kind of outings.. but my point was i wanted see him use his secondary pitches (changeup, 2-seamer, and a splitter if he has one) more opposed to just tossing fastballs and sliders with no game plan and making no adjustments. he doesn't have the command to live off just 2 pitches as a starter so his other offering(s) are pretty essential if he wants to make it as a starter. joba chamberlain was mostly fastball/slider when he was in the yankees' bullpen i believe, but when they converted him back into a starter he eventually utilized his curveball and changeup and hes had success.

but im not that worried about Parnell's first outing, im sure he'll use his other offerings more and more.. hasan noted it was as ugly as chamberlain's first start; in fact checking the pitchFX data from that joba start, they were both similar starts:

Basic Line

Chamberlain : 2.1 IP, 1 hit, 1 ER, 4 BB, 3 K .. 62 pitches (32 strikes)

Parnell : 2.1 IP, 4 hits, 2 ER, 3 BB, 1 K .. 68 pitches (42 strikes)

PitchFX (Ignore movement, release points, etc)

Chamberlain :

joba1.png

Parnell :

parnell1.png

-- Ignoring the movement etc. you could see Joba only threw 2 pitches that weren't a slider or four-seam fastball - 2 curveballs .. Parnell also only threw 2 pitches that weren't a slider or four-seam fastball - 1 two-seam fastball, 1 changeup... Yeah they had pretty similar first outings.. both guys really didn't have a gameplan nor did they make any adjustments, and both guys struggled to throw strikes.

Speaking of Maine, I hope he doesn't fit into the Mets' plans for next season. He had his career year two years ago (you may remember me saying that after the '07 season...I felt the same way about Ollie).

the mets could non-tender him but that would be foolish.. i dont think he should be a starter since he cant seem to stay healthy the past couple years but i would like for them to stick him in the bullpen. if worse comes to worst they could always trade him since he's only on year-to-year arbitration contracts.

Edited by nmigliore

Rubin believes Ricco will eventually take over as GM post-Minaya

Its pretty much impossible to judge guys that have never been past GMs, I mean really his only track record was bringing up the Francoeur-for-Church deal.. but with that said Im sure he wouldn't make messes that Minaya makes with his terrible public speaking. Here is a cool John Ricco profile that Rubin had posted:

The John Ricco file

HIRED BY METS: April 15, 2004

HOMETOWN: Cedar Grove, N.J.

FAMILY: Married with three children

COLLEGE: Villanova University, B.A. in Communications, minor in Business

MET DUTIES: Point man in the Mets' front office for rules compliance and statistical analysis and the financial ramifications of maneuvers.

BACKGROUND: Worked for MLB Commissioner's office from 1996-2004. Served as director, contract and salary administration. Other duties included conducting salary analysis.

GOT HIS START: Was director of waivers and records for American League from 1992-96. Served as assistant public relations director in 1992.

Rubin also mentions the Mets' payroll figures to decrease..

--------------

and Parnell worked on his changeup in his bullpen session: http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/11/parnells-transition-to-starter/

Edited by nmigliore

Wow, tonight's lineup is fun for the masochistic side of us:

Sullivan - CF

Castillo - 2B

Tatis - 3B (Wright's under the weather)

Murphy - 1B

Francoeur - RF

Reed - CF

Cora - SS

Schnieder - C

Livan - P

So let's see, we have about fifteen HR's in the entire lineup aside from Francoeur, Schnieder and his sub .200 average, a .250 hitter batting cleanup and a Rockies castoff hitting leadoff.

Edited by Hasan4978

Wow, tonight's lineup is fun for the masochistic side of us:

Sullivan - CF

Castillo - 2B

Tatis - 3B (Wright's under the weather)

Murphy - 1B

Francoeur - RF

Reed - CF

Cora - SS

Schnieder - C

Livan - P

So let's see, we have about fifteen HR's in the entire lineup aside from Francoeur, Schnieder and his sub .200 average, a .250 hitter batting cleanup and a Rockies castoff hitting leadoff.

yet this lineup will probably manage to somehow win :lol: