Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

and what is Sheffield doing swinging on 3-0 down 3-1 with 2 outs and a man on 1st? The guy behind you can tie the game with a double in the gap or put them ahead with a longball. Try to work out a walk.

lol, Johan Estes

and then Sandoval goes deep. Wow, anything else you'd like to do god? Please stay away from the Jets this year.

Edited by '7'

At this point, I would restrict the Mets from traveling on planes for the rest of the season. I'm dead serious.

if they could seriously forfeit the rest of the year i wish they would. there is no reason to play meaningless baseball while clearly there is some final destination sh!t going on :lol:

Pretty nice inning there. Sucks for Cain, he pitched a hell of a game (save naturally for knocking Wight silly) and won't get a decision for his troubles.

Impressed they still even bother to try, kind of disappointed at this point though. :lol:

Screw Cain, any sympathy I had for what was an accident was lost after he did a d-ck move and tipped his cap to the crowd after coming out (presumably he was being booed, I had the TV on mute at the time).

And btw I wasn't in favor of going after anyone for an accident, but IF Johan was going to go after anyone he should have brushed back Cain himself. This isn't the American League, you are allowed to show the other team's pitcher you don't appreciate things.

I cant help but laugh... Brad Lidge blew another save.. its too bad he didn't do this last year, if so, mets would have won the damn division, even with all of their blown saves.

edit: LOL i just checked the MLB Gameday of the ATL/PHI game.. bases loaded with nobody out for Church.. looks like ATL will win.

edit 2: church ended up striking out (lol) and omar infante won it on a single.

Edited by nmigliore

Brian Wilson is a monster.. I know he technically blew the save attempt in the 8th but he gutted it out, pitched the rest of that inning AND the 9th AND the 10.

thats a closer for you.. Frankie's pitch count would be near 100 if he attempted anything like that (remember @ Pittsburgh? he threw like 60 pitches when he did something similar)

Edited by nmigliore

Brian Wilson is a monster.. I know he technically blew the save attempt in the 8th but he gutted it out, pitched the rest of that inning AND the 9th AND the 10.

thats a closer for you.. Frankie's pitch count would be near 100 if he attempted anything like that (remember @ Pittsburgh? he threw like 60 pitches when he did something similar)

he either completely gives it up(which is rare), which I know he's done a few times since he's on my fantasy team, ie 3 or 4 runs to lose a game or is completely unhittable, K'ing guys left and right. One of the most underrated in the game

figures.. then our overrated closer implodes.

That's a bit much...it's not like he blew a save or got smacked around for 3 or 4 runs. He gave up a HR...it happens. I wonder if he's lost his edge due to his team being out of the race. He's probably not used to that. But I agree with Hasan, in that KRod is going to fit into the Mets' plans beyond this year, so if something is physically wrong with him, then shut him down, give Wagner a shot (if he's up to it...they may have to bring him along slowly) and hope that Wagner pitches well enough that someone might want to trade for him.

That's a bit much...it's not like he blew a save or got smacked around for 3 or 4 runs. He gave up a HR...it happens. I wonder if he's lost his edge due to his team being out of the race. He's probably not used to that. But I agree with Hasan, in that KRod is going to fit into the Mets' plans beyond this year, so if something is physically wrong with him, then shut him down, give Wagner a shot (if he's up to it...they may have to bring him along slowly) and hope that Wagner pitches well enough that someone might want to trade for him.

implodes might be a bit much, yeah, but overrated? im not saying hes a bad closer, i just think hes a bit overrated.. people tend to rank him as one of the best (as in top 3) closers in baseball. based off of what i have seen this year i do not think he is; he struggles to throw strikes alot of the time and if you are patient with him you will find a way to get on base, he beats himself. and if you wanna go more in depth - his stats have been on the decline this year (career low K-rate, career high BB-rate, higher FB%, career high LD%, and a career high in FIP and tRA).. but in general, his poor control is the main reason why his save chances are so adventurous/tight-rope... but he gets it done because hitters chase his changeups and sliders in the dirt (which is what i have been saying all year - his control is weak but he just gets by because his stuff is nasty..) its just too bad he doesn't have better control.

edit: just another stat to add onto K-Rod - his career first-pitch strike% is 55.5% .. this year it is 46.3%, a career low and 2nd worst in all of baseball.

(if you are unfamiliar with FIP and tRA resort here [FIP] and here [tRA]).

Edited by nmigliore