ESPN attempts to talk hockey.

JustinZ

Of course not, but they have taken big strides to improve their hockey coverage after they gave up the rights a few years. The NHL playoffs are the lead story on its website.

I believe that the title of this thread is "ESPN ATTEMPTS to talk hockey", so if this half a$$ed effort is considered "big strides" then we better off on VS.

TSN.ca rocks. I don't even bother with ESPN.com.

You know it's a problem when they're using Chris Berman as a hockey analyst.

I'm a 'Canes fan and while I can get plenty of coverage on the 'Canes here in NC, I can't get anything, really, on the rest of the league.

ESPN only cares to care sports it has a TV contract with. I guarantee you, if they ever get the NHL back, they'll be all over it with a more dedicated staff. (read: not Chris Berman and a two-minute Barry Melrose blurb on every third Sportscenter.)

I'm a 'Canes fan and while I can get plenty of coverage on the 'Canes here in NC, I can't get anything, really, on the rest of the league.

ESPN only cares to care sports it has a TV contract with. I guarantee you, if they ever get the NHL back, they'll be all over it with a more dedicated staff. (read: not Chris Berman and a two-minute Barry Melrose blurb on every third Sportscenter.)

You guys don't get the NHL Network yet? It's pretty much the greatest thing ever.

Broke college student who can't afford digital cable. We have it, though - I just don't get it where I live because of the $$$.

+1 my issue is I spend my money on getting gamecenter to watch the games instead of cable, which is why national broadcasts always sucks for me :whistling:

I love reading this thread. Especially the posts with the hopes & promises that ESPN, or any other major US network, actually knows that hockey is played from October until the end of January...and barely recognize it it February/March.

In another 10 years of watching hockey stay as regional as it is today, you too will realize that the NHL in the US will never be nationally popular. I wish I had tapes of their coverage back when they had the contract, Save for NHL2Night, to show how abysmal it was.

Remember how they tried to make a Monday Night Football version of hockey with a Friday night game each week....how long did that last ?

Then they were pushed onto ESPN2 ( heck I'll even say that they created ESPN2 for the purpose of getting the NHL off the prime network) then they were pushed off that network too.

Nothing will make the NHL grow in the US...it was supposed to be Gretzky in LA, then it was gonna be the Sunbelt teams, etc etc.

Just sit back and relax, and in 2019 you will look back and realize that the only thing helping to make it grow will be the increase of US born players

I doubt that bro. The first time around, they did a HORRIBLE job of covering the league when they had the national contract- it really didn't seem to make a difference. Thank God for the NHL Network- I don't know how the hell I lived without it.

Broke college student who can't afford digital cable. We have it, though - I just don't get it where I live because of the $$$.

LOL, I suggest finding a way to scrape together the dough- you won't be sorry!! If you're a hockey fan, the NHL Network is ESSENTIAL.