ESPN attempts to talk hockey.

JustinZ

It's one of those things that's you wanna keep watching only to see how bad it can get. Not only did they have two guys that knew so little about the teams that Sauders had to refer to Bruce Boudreau's nickname and ninor league stats to fill time, but the cameraman on the left rolled his rig into the shot around the one-minute mark. Total fail by all involved in filming this segment.

I give John Saunders some credit... he is Canadian, and actually played major division 1 college hockey... I think at Western Michigan if I'm not mistaken. He actually is a hockey fan.

He may have a hockey background, but he didn't show it. His idea of previewing the Caps/Rags series was to say "The Capitals shouldn't have any problems with the Rangers" and then talk about how great Ovechkin is and why they call Boudreau "Gabby."

And they spent less than 10 seconds talking about the Devils/Canes series. Way to go in-depth, ESPN!

Good or bad, ESPN has covered hockey a lot more over the past year, which is a surprise since it is the only sport it doesn't actually broadcast. They added LeBrun as a full-time hockey writer, and have 4 other guys who write about the sport. Hockey has found itself on the front page more in the last year than the past 3 years combined.

Now the guys they have may not be good, but good on them for giving the sport any kind of effort when they have little benefit at the moment to push it.

Good or bad, ESPN has covered hockey a lot more over the past year, which is a surprise since it is the only sport it doesn't actually broadcast. They added LeBrun as a full-time hockey writer, and have 4 other guys who write about the sport. Hockey has found itself on the front page more in the last year than the past 3 years combined.

Now the guys they have may not be good, but good on them for giving the sport any kind of effort when they have little benefit at the moment to push it.

saying the espn has given hockey more coverage is like saying si has a 10 page spread on the playoffs - it's a joke

NO THANKS. Espn is irrelevant and doesn't understand hockey enough to give it proper coverage.

We're not gonna be happy with coverage in America, but ESPN is better than VS. Their cameras don't blow if nothing else.

We're not gonna be happy with coverage in America, but ESPN is better than VS. Their cameras don't blow if nothing else.

I agree.

A. It's on a channel a non-hockey fan doesn't even know it exists

B. How do they expect to grow the game when the only people watching on VS. are already diehards? At least ESPN the average joe has a chance to flip through and watch it by chance.

I agree.

B. How do they expect to grow the game when the only people watching on VS. are already diehards? At least ESPN the average joe has a chance to flip through and watch it by chance.

This is why we need to be on ESPN. It would only help hockey grow.

in terms of GAME coverage, ESPN > VS .. i cant stand VS, they seem to always have awkward camera angles and on-screen facts that take up half the screen while the game is going on (remember the NHL youngstars game? there was like 4 or 5 breakaways VS missed, and they had a huge advertisement or some fact that took up half the screen the year before that)

in terms of GAME coverage, ESPN > VS .. i cant stand VS, they seem to always have awkward camera angles and on-screen facts that take up half the screen while the game is going on (remember the NHL youngstars game? there was like 4 or 5 breakaways VS missed, and they had a huge advertisement or some fact that took up half the screen the year before that)

Hmm...

What would you rather watch: VS or FOX with the "glowing" puck in the mid 90s :noclue:

I agree.

Sorry to disappoint you but, since leaving ESPN ratings are up for the NHL and game is growing in popularity.

The Average Joe will never be a hockey fan.

Sorry to disappoint you but, since leaving ESPN ratings are up for the NHL and game is growing in popularity.

The Average Joe will never be a hockey fan.

That has more to do with Ovie, Cindy and Malkin than VS

That has more to do with Ovie, Cindy and Malkin than VS

ESPN had its shot to promote these type of players as well and didn't care.

I am not saying I am enamored with VS, but don't make the mistake that ESPN is a force, because history proves that they aren't.

I agree.

Lets stop worrying about what average joe schmoe wants and start worrying about what hockey fans want. If someone wants to watch a hockey game they can flip to versus just like they can espn. obviously, espn is in more homes but vs is growing each year.

This is insane. You think Espn is doing this out of the kindness of their heart? as if they have nothing to gain? Not a chance. Seconly, giving a half-assed effort on their part invalidates the importance of he playoffs and further confirms to the general public that this is all not that worth watching. Id rather them not even mention it.

This is insane. You think Espn is doing this out of the kindness of their heart? as if they have nothing to gain? Not a chance. Seconly, giving a half-assed effort on their part invalidates the importance of he playoffs and further confirms to the general public that this is all not that worth watching. Id rather them not even mention it.

Of course not, but they have taken big strides to improve their hockey coverage after they gave up the rights a few years. The NHL playoffs are the lead story on its website.