Zajac/Gionta/Zubrus/Madden

metallidevils

If these four players play well the rest of the series, we'll win. If not, we won't.

I really think it's as simple as that.

Parise and Elias are probably a given to play well at this point. The defense has been playing well enough that they're not going to lose games, but aren't going to win games either. Marty has been solid the last 6 or 7 games, and certainly played well enough to win game 2.

Shanahan, Holik, Rupp, Pandolfo, and to a lesser extent Rolston are basically wastes of a roster space right now (I'm tired and can't really remember if Rolston has been solid lately). But this is no different than the rest of the season and we've still played well.

Parise and Elias can't carry the team themselves against a hot Cam Ward. Zajac, Gionta, Madden, and Zubrus are the wildcards. If they play well, we're a team with depth. If not, we're a two person offense. They are all capable of playing well, but don't always do so, and these 4 really need to step it up. Madden missed so many clearing attempts last game that he should be benched, but we have no one that could do better than him. Gionta needs to hit the damn net. I'm a big Zajac fan, but he didn't play very well last game either (the goalie interference penalty was not his fault). Zubrus...well he pretty much sucks to be honest, but I believe he has the potential to play better too.

If these four players play well the rest of the series, we'll win. If not, we won't.

I really think it's as simple as that.

Parise and Elias are probably a given to play well at this point. The defense has been playing well enough that they're not going to lose games, but aren't going to win games either. Marty has been solid the last 6 or 7 games, and certainly played well enough to win game 2.

Shanahan, Holik, Rupp, Pandolfo, and to a lesser extent Rolston are basically wastes of a roster space right now (I'm tired and can't really remember if Rolston has been solid lately). But this is no different than the rest of the season and we've still played well.

Parise and Elias can't carry the team themselves against a hot Cam Ward. Zajac, Gionta, Madden, and Zubrus are the wildcards. If they play well, we're a team with depth. If not, we're a two person offense. They are all capable of playing well, but don't always do so, and these 4 really need to step it up. Madden missed so many clearing attempts last game that he should be benched, but we have no one that could do better than him. Gionta needs to hit the damn net. I'm a big Zajac fan, but he didn't play very well last game either (the goalie interference penalty was not his fault). Zubrus...well he pretty much sucks to be honest, but I believe he has the potential to play better too.

I thought Madden was good. He created some scoring chances, and he had trouble clearing against the Staal line. If Sutter wasn't line matching so much, this would be less of an issue, but the Madden line is too slow against Staal, especially once they get the cycle going.

We need Rolston or Shanahan to step up. I think both can. If they don't the PP is a joke. Without them, it was one line deep. Without Langs as well, the one line isn't great either.

I completely agree about Zajac. Once he started struggling, Carolina keyed in on Parise. If Zajac punishes them for that, they whole game opens up for us.

I agree that Madden has been playing very solid, but when we are in carolina and we can't match lines against Staal. madden may be less effective. We'll see about that tomorrow

Rolston needs to step-up, but that's been the case during that slump.

Shanny is what he is: old. He brings off ice experience and the simple things but ya....

I think Shanny has been great being a winger for Madden and Pandolfo. I don't see how many people can complain about him, he's not playing with guys that are going to help him be score. Playing smart, hustling, solid backchecking, even getting Madden and Pandolfo some offensive zone possesions. Can't complain about him. It would be HUGE for that line to get a goal tonight. HUGE

I really want Rolston to do well, I hate giving out a 'free pass' but Rolston, for lack of a better word, he deserves one. Remember how God awful Langs was last year? And White when he first came back? Don't be so quick to judge.

The thing with Gionta and Zubrus that bugs me is I want to see at least one of them driving the net. Elias is going to do his thing, Zubrus and Gionta especially should be junk yard dogs jumping on rebounds in front. I'm sick of them being perimeter players. That weak ass wrist shot from the circles is not going to work Gio.

I think this thread is a testament to how well our defensemen play in general. No mention of them. I think we've come to expect solid defensive play from this group. They're not the most talented bunch, but tell me the six-man unit in the East that plays better. Maybe Boston's ... that's it.

God, I'm always impressed with how brilliant Shanahan plays. The guy's just incredible.

And how big was Gionta's performance tonight? He's a really scrappy player.

Zubrus needs to step it up, big time. And I keep waiting for Rolston to turn it up a notch...and waiting, and waiting...