Group Unveils Plan for Expansion into Toronto

nyrsuck26

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/646049

Order of Canada recipient Herb Carnegie, who was a star with the Quebec Aces through the 1940s, and fundraiser Paul Pellegrini, along with Andrew Lopez of Toronto Legacy Group revealed their concept for a new arena and NHL expansion team - called the Toronto Legacy - by 2012 at a news conference this morning. They say they have $1 billion in financing.
The vision for the project includes:

-- A 30,000-seat arena built in Downsview Park. The complex would also include a swimming pool, four outdoor rinks, two office towers, four condominiums, a hotel and community athletic centre.

-- Twenty-five percent of the Legacy's annual profits would be divided between charitable foundations and non-profit organizations. Carnegie's Future Aces Foundation for at-risk youth would be the first receipents.

-- About 15,000 seats for every Legacy game would cost no more than $50 apiece.

So by 2012, there will be about 20 teams in the Greater Toronto Area.

Edited by nyrsuck26

lol, I'd hope half the seats would be no more than $50, because 10K or more of them are going to be like watching a game from the CN tower.

I guess this concept would really test the depth of the market. This will never happen as proposed. And yes, the name is terrible.

I call bullsh!t.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have a better shot of winning the Stanley Cup than this actually becoming a reality.

15,000 seats for 50 bucks or less? Yeah sure thats going to happen.

Also if the Leafs are going to fight a team being in Hamilton, than they will be fighting another team in Toronto 100x harder.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Ugh. I am not against the idea of another team in Toronto. In fact Toronto is the best available market in NA for a team. However,

team nick names must end in s

This is not the WNBA or the AFL. Show some respect.

Avalanche

Wild

Lightning

The leafs won't allow this happening, they don't even allow London (Ontario's London, Lindros' birth place) to broadcast a "pre-season" game involving the Sens.

Plus, Buttman's brain concentrates on failing US teams and he certainly doesn't want another Canadian team at all.