NJ Native Plays for Italian National Team vs. U.S.A.

95Crash

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your born and you live in America, then your American. I don't give a fvck where your family is from and all that bullsh!t. Take pride and embrace it or GTFO, we don't want you anyway. Just don't count on us when you want our help. When people ask me what I am, I proudly say American.

So my family isn't "American" enough even though we've fought on the US side in WW2, Vietnam, Korea, and so on? We are here legally and pay taxes? We pay health insurance? So I rooted for the Italian soccer team and now we should "get the fvck out?"

Real logical.

I have a question...what is the tiebreaker in the standings? If Italy loses to Egypt and Brazil, and USA beats Egypt, then all three teams would have three points, so what would the US have to do to advance?

Goal Differential, so it won't be easy for the US.

Ya know, If Parise chose to play for Canada over Team USA next year, I can only imagine the backlash on this board. And even though he won't, he could, given that his old man is Canadian.

I agree... It's amusing and insulting that I have people here telling me to get out of the country.

Ya know, If Parise chose to play for Canada over Team USA next year, I can only imagine the backlash on this board. And even though he won't, he could, given that his old man is Canadian.

If Parise did that, I bet you a good amount of Devils would be unhappy about it. Or in the least, it would leave a bad taste in some people's mouths.

njdevil26: I don't agree with some of the insults that have been directed your way in this thread -- or toward Italian people in general -- but I don't understand how you wouldn't expect some people, maybe even a lot of people, to be turned off to the fact that some Americans would rather root against their own country in national tournaments.

I mean, come on, national soccer (football) tournaments bring out some of the most nationalistic feelings in everyone. And when people would rather root for another country, that's practically considered treasonous. Even in America.

If Parise did that, I bet you a good amount of Devils would be unhappy about it. Or in the least, it would leave a bad taste in some people's mouths.

njdevil26: I don't agree with some of the insults that have been directed your way in this thread -- or toward Italian people in general -- but I don't understand how you wouldn't expect some people, maybe even a lot of people, to be turned off to the fact that some Americans would rather root against their own country in national tournaments.

I mean, come on, national soccer (football) tournaments bring out some of the most nationalistic feelings in everyone. And when people would rather root for another country, that's practically considered treasonous. Even in America.

I'd basically like people to understand that like it or not I don't equate sports with politics.

So say what you want, black list me if you have to (seems like it's still McCarthyism floating around here), but stop with the ignorant statements.

Crash, I understand and appreciate your argument. I maintain that myself and my family are excellent Americans while we cheer for our family and ancestors in the SPORT of soccer.

I'd basically like people to understand that like it or not I don't equate sports with politics.

So say what you want, black list me if you have to (seems like it's still McCarthyism floating around here), but stop with the ignorant statements.

Crash, I understand and appreciate your argument. I maintain that myself and my family are excellent Americans while we cheer for our family and ancestors in the SPORT of soccer.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "politics." Rooting for your country in sporting events has nothing to do with politics. Nationalism, yes; politics, no.

Hey, it's a free country, you can root for whomever you want. That's a fact. But in the same vein, seeing how it is a free country, it is somewhat difficult for many people to understand why someone who lives here, was born here, would choose to root against it.

Italian soccer is a tradition and a lifestyle. It is something that my family has celebrated it for as long as I can remember. I remember being 7 years old in 94 watching Italy lose in a shootout to Brazil in the World Cup. I was crazy about it then too.

Now that soccer is making a push in America, I'm not going to stop rooting for Italy and turning my back on my heritage to root for a team and a program that I don't particularly care for.

Should all Knicks fans living in New Jersey start rooting for the Nets? Or should we kick them out of Jersey. Should all Flyer fans in south Jersey get kicked out and have to live in PA?

It's a sport. There's nationalism mixed in and there's pride in my heritage mixed in as well. But it's all the same to me.

Italian soccer is a tradition and a lifestyle. It is something that my family has celebrated it for as long as I can remember. I remember being 7 years old in 94 watching Italy lose in a shootout to Brazil in the World Cup. I was crazy about it then too.

Now that soccer is making a push in America, I'm not going to stop rooting for Italy and turning my back on my heritage to root for a team and a program that I don't particularly care for.

Should all Knicks fans living in New Jersey start rooting for the Nets? Or should we kick them out of Jersey. Should all Flyer fans in south Jersey get kicked out and have to live in PA?

It's a sport. There's nationalism mixed in and there's pride in my heritage mixed in as well. But it's all the same to me.

So when it comes to national sports competitions, you value heritage over nation?

No one is going to kick anyone out. If anyone says that, it's just emotions talking.

I agree with Andrew that politics and sport team preference are not related, but in the same vein I don't think the athletes are representing their government's actions, so that is why I root for the US over Italy. Being brought up here, my experiences and such have made me more American than Italian, so I have a lot more in common with the American players than the Italian players.

I am only the first generation of my dad's side of the family to be born and raised in the US, but still--I am born and raised in the US so I root for the US. I had a similar debate with my uncle a few weeks ago. He asked why I root for the Devils even though everyone on my mom's side of the family has lived in New York since they came here from Ireland in the 1900s and everyone on my dad's side has lived in New York since they came here from Italy in the 1960s. I told him because I am not from New York and have never lived there, so I identify with New Jersey a lot more than New York. That same logic is pretty much the reason I root for the US over Italy. However, I still root for Italy whenever they aren't playing the US because they obviously are not rivals with the US like the Devils and Rangers are.

While my opinion differs from Andrew's, I can at least understand his choice unlike the idiots who keep saying dumb things like IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN GTFO!!!!!111 I think those kinds of posts really take away from what is an interesting discussion.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "politics." Rooting for your country in sporting events has nothing to do with politics. Nationalism, yes; politics, no.

Hey, it's a free country, you can root for whomever you want. That's a fact. But in the same vein, seeing how it is a free country, it is somewhat difficult for many people to understand why someone who lives here, was born here, would choose to root against it.

Andrew already spoke for himself, but I've got a take on this too. One of the things he's saying is that he doesn't see an Italy vs. USA match as being any different than a DC United vs. Red Bull NY match. Whether you call it politics or nationalism or whatever, he's able to completely separate that from the sports aspect of it. It's like he was saying with the Knicks fans and Flyers fans living in New Jersey or my earlier example about moving to San Jose and having to give up your Devils fandom; where you live shouldn't necessarily have to dictate who you root for in sports, even on a national level.

Then again, you'd expect the two of us to feel that way considering we're both Red Sox fans living in enemy territory. :P

Edited by RowdyFan42

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. EVER.

Italians were one of the largest groups of immigrants to come over as late as the 20s through the 40s... guess what they all did? WENT TO WAR. They wore American uniforms and fought for America to defeat Hitler in World War 2.

And oh yeah, guess who the laborers were that worked long days building the roads in cities like Elizabeth and Newark? The Italians.

Italians also founded Bank of America and Chrysler.

I'm offended personally at your stupidity because my family worked their asses off to fight for this country and work hard. I have great uncles and cousins that have died fighting for this country...

Why don't you ask yourself what an American is? Any American sports idol or moviestar that you might like has parents or relatives that came here like my family did looking to contribute to American society and look for a better opportunity. This nation was founded by Europeans looking for a land where they could give eachother opportunities. I guess that's your definition of "coming here and taking jobs from Americans."

And oh by the way, when the Italians did come here... we all signed the guest book. Came here legally. Which is more than you can say for a good percentage of the immigrant population.

Do me a favor and don't quote me or respond to me. I don't want to waste my time reading bullsh!t from an undereducated and immature prick such as yourself.

And you call him a gutless coward? For the soccer team he chose to play for? You should rethink who is actually the gutless coward here. It's you.

It's been a long while since I've snapped at anyone here. But you've pushed me over the limit. You are a disgrace to yourself and people trying to argue valid points in this threat. Keep your fvcking mouth shut.

Dude your a tool im done here cause i've hit a vein. and yeah i am calling him a gutless coward for choosing the Italian national team. And guess what buddy im Italian also so maybe you should keep your mouth shut. You call me a disgrace and you would choose your heritage over the country you fvcking live in...give me a break

YOU ROOT FOR THE US BECAUSE IT'S THE COUNTRY YOU WERE BORN AND RAISED IN! politics has nothing to do with that.

that

Dude your a tool im done here cause i've hit a vein. and yeah i am calling him a gutless coward for choosing the Italian national team. And guess what buddy im Italian also so maybe you should keep your mouth shut. You call me a disgrace and you would choose your heritage over the country you fvcking live in...give me a break

I was born into a ton of italian heritage, therefore i've always supported them in soccer, its just the way I grew up. But I support the US soccer team as well..

I really didnt read much of this thread, but if he said something like "US sucks, i like italy better" then I could understand what you mean.. but if hes supporting both teams, there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Scott, in fact, you're amazing. I would like to take you out for a nice seafood dinner.. .and NEVER call you again!

free food.... AND no stalker calls after??? SIGN ME UP!!!

Being brought up here, my experiences and such have made me more American than Italian, so I have a lot more in common with the American players than the Italian players. I am only the first generation of my dad's side of the family to be born and raised in the US, but still--I am born and raised in the US so I root for the US. I had a similar debate with my uncle a few weeks ago. He asked why I root for the Devils even though everyone on my mom's side of the family has lived in New York since they came here from Ireland in the 1900s and everyone on my dad's side has lived in New York since they came here from Italy in the 1960s. I told him because I am not from New York and have never lived there, so I identify with New Jersey a lot more than New York. That same logic is pretty much the reason I root for the US over Italy. However, I still root for Italy whenever they aren't playing the US because they obviously are not rivals with the US like the Devils and Rangers are. ... an interesting discussion.

I can totally relate to that.