2010 Olympics: Team USA

devilsrule33

This will be a running series this summer by the way. With Brian Burke announcing that he will be inviting list of players (around 30) to meet in August for an Olympic training camp in the next week, I thought why not see who everyone likes for team USA before the list of players is known. Pick 13 forwards, 8 defenseman, 3 goalies and just for fun, a captain, two alternates and distinguish who your starting goalie would be. I

Edited by devilsrule33

I'm biased, but I think Langs belongs on the team, and while I would have no problem with Drury wearing the c, Langs needs to be taken into consideration as well.

He has the talent to play on the top line, at least if Parise's there too. Their comfort level elevates Langs, especially when a lot of these guys won't have played together much. More importantly, Langs is a perfect 3rd or 4th line role player on a national team. He brings the energy, he can backcheck, you can put him on the PK, and he won't complain about ice time at all. He may not be the most talented skater out there, and he may be old(ish), but he gets the most out of his talent, he does his best work mentoring younger players (see Zach and Travis), and he's versatile, which you need on an olympic roster.

Edited by mouse

unless scott gomez is having a repeat of last season, he absolutely must be on the team. no way i am booting him for blake wheeler or patrick o'sullivan. i am also not taking jack johnson over niskanen, liles, whitney, or gilbert barring a surge in johnson's play. and langenbrunner's not going unless they are convinced they need some veteran presence.

also shocked to not see brian gionta's name anywhere.

kesler's obviously going because he was a burke draft pick but he's not going to score 26 goals next season.

unless scott gomez is having a repeat of last season, he absolutely must be on the team. no way i am booting him for blake wheeler or patrick o'sullivan. i am also not taking jack johnson over niskanen, liles, whitney, or gilbert barring a surge in johnson's play. and langenbrunner's not going unless they are convinced they need some veteran presence.

also shocked to not see brian gionta's name anywhere.

kesler's obviously going because he was a burke draft pick but he's not going to score 26 goals next season.

Kesler is going because he should be there. I think anyone running the team would be stupid to leave him off. He's a type of player I'd love to see on Team Canada.

Brian Gionta shouldn't be on this team. There are bigger, faster and more skilled players.

As for Gomez, I expect to see his name on the team, but I wouldn't want him there. He is not a leader and probably isn't a Brian Burke type of player.

It should be interesting if some names missing will actually "shock" people or is this typical Brian Burke trying to make some noise. Maybe we'll all go nuts when Doug Weight and Bill Guerin aren't invited.

Kesler is going because he should be there. I think anyone running the team would be stupid to leave him off. He's a type of player I'd love to see on Team Canada.

Brian Gionta shouldn't be on this team. There are bigger, faster and more skilled players.

As for Gomez, I expect to see his name on the team, but I wouldn't want him there. He is not a leader and probably isn't a Brian Burke type of player.

It should be interesting if some names missing will actually "shock" people or is this typical Brian Burke trying to make some noise. Maybe we'll all go nuts when Doug Weight and Bill Guerin aren't invited.

Gomez has 2 Stanley Cup rings and since the lockout he has 39 points in 37 playoff games. I think it's impossible to ignore both of those things.

Gionta probably shouldn't be on the team, I agree, but he's still got that 48 goal season on his ledger, and 60 points last year isn't terrible. I don't think he and Jason Pominville are *that* different.

I don't believe anything Brian Burke says anymore, and wish that Lou were running the team.

Gomez has 2 Stanley Cup rings and since the lockout he has 39 points in 37 playoff games. I think it's impossible to ignore both of those things.

Gionta probably shouldn't be on the team, I agree, but he's still got that 48 goal season on his ledger, and 60 points last year isn't terrible. I don't think he and Jason Pominville are *that* different.

I don't believe anything Brian Burke says anymore, and wish that Lou were running the team.

Bobby Clarke left off Mark Messier in 1998. Gretzky left off Stevens in 2002. Stranger things have happened. Pominville is the better player at the moment and almost 4 years younger. And looking into the past with Gionta is not what team USA should be doing. Especially when he has barely come close to reaching half of that production. Gionta is another player who could be in that "shocker" list.

I don't mind Burke running the team. I think he will certainly make some much needed changes. I don't know if Lou would do the same if he ran the team. I doubt he would go with a major youth movement. That isn't his style. He's certainly more loyal than Burke. Lou would certainly give invites to Langenbrunner, Gionta, Rolston...Besides Lou has been away from Team USA for so long. I doubt he has been heavily following the progress of so many of these young Americans.

Anyway what's your team?

(A)Parise-Stastny-Kane

Kessel-Oshie-(A)Brown

Booth-Wheeler-Ryan

O'Sullivan-Kesler-©Langenbrunner

Extra: Backes

Suter-Rafalski

Orpik-Martin

Ballard-E. Johnson

Extra: J.Johnson

Thomas (1A)

Miller (1B)

DiPietro

Very similar list to the rest of you guys but I think Jamie deserves a spot on the team and I think having his leadership on the team will help Parise calm and collected and will benifit the rest of the team as well. I also think Miller and Thomas should go tandem unless one or the other distinguishes themself one way or the other since Miller has proven to be a VERY capable goalie with going back to back ECFinals and keeping a terrible sabres team in the playoffs all year until he went down to injury. Wouldnt be surprised to see Gomez in for someone, but personally I dont think he is the right player for the team though playing with bobby ryan could be a good match IMO.

Oh yeah and I think Backes should definatly be throw in the lineup from time to time just for this kinda toughness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKgesqKw9aA

Edited by brickwall30

My 25 man roster, line combos are tough to gauge right now.

Goaltenders

Tim Thomas

Ryan Miller

Rick DiPietro

Defensemen

Brian Rafalski

Paul Martin

Michael Liles

Ryan Suter

Keith Ballard

Erik Johnson

Brooks Orpik

Tom Gilbert

Forwards

Tim Connolly

Scott Gomez

Chris Drury

Jason Pominville

Pat Kane

Dustin Brown

Paul Stastny

Bobby Ryan

Phil Kessel

David Booth

Zach Parise

Jamie Langenbrunner

Ryan Kesler

David Backes

Hey dr33, I'd really like to see the kind of line combinations if you don't mind posting them.

Really hard to gauge any possible line combinations at the moment. I guess that is what the training camps are for. This is why I think a commitment from these guys to do some off-season training camps can really help. Chemistry is huge in these tournaments, and it shouldn't be a surprise that Finland, Czech, Sweden and Slovakia have finished stronger than the US in many of these international tournaments.

I will say this: a few people have Parise - Stastny - Kane as the top line. That is an extremely small top line and with the smaller ice surface in Vancouver, it could be a problem. Kessel is an absolute sniper, but right now is pretty one dimensional. If his game doesn't change much by next year, he's going to need to be paired with a really good passing center like Stastny.

And Jason...totally forgot about Tim Connolly, but I guess that's what happens when you've only played 98 games in the last 3 years and haven't played a full season since 2002-2003. He's a good player. A healthy start to 2009 could go along way in giving him a chance to make that team.

Here is the Orientation Camp Roster:

Goaltenders: Ryan Miller, Jonathan Quick, Tim Thomas

Defensemen: Tom Gilbert, Tim Gleason, Ron Hainsey, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Mike Komisarek, Paul Martin, Brooks Orpik, Brian Rafalski, Rob Scuderi, Ryan Suter, Ryan Whitney

Forwards: David Backes, David Booth, Dustin Brown, Dustin Byfuglien, Ryan Callahan, Chris Drury, Scott Gomez, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, Jamie Langenbrunner, Ryan Malone, Mike Modano, Kyle Okposo, T.J. Oshie, Zach Parise, Joe Pavelski, Bobby Ryan, Paul Stastny.

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahocke...5&id=264078

tsn says: "Toronto Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson will act as head coach, and his assistant coaches will be New Jersey Devils coach John Tortorella and New York Islanders coach Scott Gordon." I guess they know something we don't.

Man, there's got to be someone better than rob scuderi.

For USA's sake...they really shouldn't waste a roster spot on a 39-year-old Mike Modano. And what a surprise...Burke was full of it with people being shocked. No major surprises with these invites. You'd think Burke would want size with a guy like Wheeler though.

Still would have liked some youngsters like Bogosian to be part of this process in some way or another.

tsn says: "Toronto Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson will act as head coach, and his assistant coaches will be New Jersey Devils coach John Tortorella and New York Islanders coach Scott Gordon." I guess they know something we don't.

Man, there's got to be someone better than rob scuderi.

New Jersey Devils coach John Tortorella?

I knew Lou would surprise us!! Who saw that coming?

For USA's sake...they really shouldn't waste a roster spot on a 39-year-old Mike Modano. And what a surprise...Burke was full of it with people being shocked. No major surprises with these invites. You'd think Burke would want size with a guy like Wheeler though.

Still would have liked some youngsters like Bogosian to be part of this process in some way or another.

I'm not crazy about Modano being on the team either. Another old guard guy.