Travis Zajac is headed to Arbitration & Weekes Likely Gone

LaCava83

I don't get all the hemming and hawing about Zajac...to me the big worry was him being offer sheeted, and that's no longer a possibility. He will be on the team next year, whatever he gets (or not) in arbitration. If you want to worry about Zajac going all Holik and turning into a baby after the arb process - and btw Holik lost, that's the only reason why he whined - fine, can that happen first before everyone goes off the deep end?

However unlikely, the Devs do not have to accept the arbitrated offer and Zajac would be a UFA.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the best play is for Zajac to come in asking for 8m and Lou asking for 500k, you'll come off looking unreasonable. He is going to get a contract similar to other players his age, his production range, since thats about 4 million anyway I'd rather they just skip the arbitration process, there is nothing good about it.

that is not what i am saying. travis comes in at 5.5M and lou comes in at 2.9M. something like that.

As for no one wins? Lou gets a quality center for 3-4 years, Zajac get's the money he was going to get anyway without the arbitration process which at best ends up being a pointless formality and at worst creates deep rifts between the player and organization.

lou gets more out of that than travis does, is what zajac would likely say - if zajac has another excellent season, why can't he then demand 5 million a year? plus zajac's agent sounds like a real idiot, just based on how he talked to TG.

this could also be a negotiating ploy by lou, but i've never known him to negotiate through the media.

Edited by Triumph

zajak is probably looking at joining sutter in cow town 2011...lol!

I like zajak and hope the devils can keep him long term, but you never know what the deal is with these type of things.

what would be the odds that Lou loses both Zajac and Parise to the Flames? well.. looking on the bright side. If it does happen, at least we'll have Pandolfo and Zubrus locked up :koolaid:

TG article about Weekes

Weekes believes he was underpaid as an NHL backup in making $700,000 in 2008-09 (cap hit of $688,000 over two seasons on his contract). He points to the deal that former Devil Scott Clemmensen got from Florida (three years at an average of $1.2 million per season) and Atlanta backup Johan Hedberg (cap hit of $1.087 million) as comparables.

As for Weekes...C-YA! Bye-Bye! Time to retire. So glad to have Danis as the back up to Brodeur this season.

What an ungrateful little...

why are you so excited about the fact that Weekesie is out? What the hell did he ever do? While I'm not upset at seeing him go, I'm not cheering his exit on... he has been good for us, he has done everything he was asked, he's a classy, well-spoken guy.. and you return with "SEE YA!!!!! BYE BYE!!!!"...? Why the disdain?

Weekes is a class act. He didn't play much behind Marty his first year, and he didn't complain. When Marty got hurt and it was gonna be his time to shine, only to have Clemmers take it away, he didn't complain. He sucked it up, cheered for his teammates, and was glad to get whatever ice time he did get. I'll miss Weekes; he's easily one of the most likable guys in the league. I don't see how anyone can be mad at him for anything he did. [And just to make a point that I'm sure will be brought up, Weeksie didn't choke in the last 80 seconds of Game 7 like Marty did...just sayin'].

I really hope Weekes finds another job in the NHL. But, if he doesn't, I really REALLY hope the Devils/MSG+ give him a job in broadcasting somewhere, he'd be perfect for it.

OR he could get a job at 2MA and the Weekes laser picture would take on a whole new meaning :P

I really hope Weekes finds another job in the NHL. But, if he doesn't, I really REALLY hope the Devils/MSG+ give him a job in broadcasting somewhere, he'd be perfect for it.

OR he could get a job at 2MA and the Weekes laser picture would take on a whole new meaning :P

We DID ask him (via Twitter) to re-sign with the Devils so we could continue to use the Weekeser Beam picture...Maybe he will take pity on us.

Also, this has been an AWFUL summer for 2MA graphics...No more Weekeser Beam, no more Brian Gionta is Short pictures, no more Patty hearts Clemmer photos, no more John Madden Is A Scoring Machine photos...

...thank god we still got Zubbie.

...yeah.

Weekes was a class act and a favourite of mine. One could argue...and I did throughtout the year that Clemmensen took the job from Weekes not by merit, but by a coaching decision from Sutter. And he never said a thing publicly even after sitting on the bench for a stretch of 17 out of 18 games. And Sutter was still spewing crap all year how they were a tandem...and he wouldn't announce the starter until the morning skate even though everyone knew it was going to be Clemmer. He was so full of sh!t. It was ridiculous.

How anyone could have anything personally against Weekes on this board is beyond me. And for someone on this board, it seemed personal all year. The only thing I could think of is that they are racist. And yes I am half-joking, but you never know. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened on this board with Weekes.

Edited by devilsrule33

i really can't believe you guys listen to him anymore. who cares, so some guy who has no rational reasons for anything doesn't like weekes and loves andy greene. i love green balloons but boy oh boy do i hate purple ones.

also while i wish weekes all the best, he's pretty delusional if he thinks hedberg and clemmensen are comparables. the problem with weekes is that he just cannot stay healthy, and you can't be a backup goalie if you can't stay healthy. weekes'll be lucky to get $750,000.

Edited by Triumph

i really can't believe you guys listen to him anymore. who cares, so some guy who has no rational reasons for anything doesn't like weekes and loves andy greene. i love green balloons but boy oh boy do i hate purple ones.

also while i wish weekes all the best, he's pretty delusional if he thinks hedberg and clemmensen are comparables. the problem with weekes is that he just cannot stay healthy, and you can't be a backup goalie if you can't stay healthy. weekes'll be lucky to get $750,000.

How do you feel about Andy Greene balloons?

How dare you talk about one of the best if not best playoff poster on this forum voted by the board like that. You are in the minority.

How dare you talk about one of the best if not best playoff poster on this forum voted by the board like that. You are in the minority.

i have a feeling that's for compulsively updating all the scores every night and preparing elaborate threads to that effect. hell, i'd vote for him on that account, even though he's on my ignore list.

I really didn't expect it to reach this stage with Zajac, hopefully they can get something done , but if not i hope lous goes for the 2 year contract and works on a deal to keep him after that expires.

I also wouldnt be supprised if Lou takes the 1 year deal, accepts it and then trades Zajac and a D man.

If that certain someone would go on the thread and clear up as to why he had the vendetta against Weekesie, it would help. But he's not exactly one to show up when he's getting criticized.

Lets see...I will say it for the last time...I have nothing against Weekes. I just never liked him as a PLAYER. Not racist at all. Just think his career has passed him years ago when he left Carolina-which was the best years of his career. He was done as a Ranger and he was OK as a Devil, but still not what he was when he was in Carolina. Yes, I agree Weekes is a stand up guy and player and a smart guy who could be an analyst or broadcaster etc.

MB, again you blew this way out of context which is not suprising coming from you.