Rolston - Pointless in 12 of 18

Sharifijanov2099

Not to belabor the point of a 5m signing that hasn't quite worked out yet (because Rolly does seem like the kind of 2ndary scoring who could prove useful in the playoffs), but 4 goals in 18 games, and pointless in 12 of them? I expected a better "come back" season than this. It'd be nice if he hit the net every once in a while on the PP, for starters. Is he going to heat up or is this what we should expect rest of the year?

Brian Rolston could have scammed 17 other GMs for possibly more money and more years, but he chose Jersey. It's a shame that the Devils were the winners of one of the biggest free-agent commodity of all-time (when you consider how many teams were interested), and this is what we get.

Like I have said before...I never really watched any of the Wild's games to see how he looked, but it must have been something totally different if 2/3 of the GM's in the league were interested.

Rolston is what he is...there will be no 30-goal seasons. No 25-goal seasons. And even 20 might be tough. All I can hope for is a couple big playoff goals and maybe we'll call it even.

he could easily score if they made him do target practices. as soon as he takes a shot, i'm used to hearing it goes wide.

he's 36 years old. he came up with new jersey in 1995, and he missed the net then, and he's going to miss the net now.

i don't want to make excuses for rolston, i do think he's a little better than what he's shown, but i think consistent time with patrik elias at center could turn rolston into the 25 goal scorer we thought we were getting. lines with rolston aren't making enough happen on the rush, and the devils lack the kind of power play QB who can set up a player like rolston there - rolston's clearly lost some of his speed, and so now it's up to other people to get him the puck in places where he can score.

Edited by Triumph

Just be thankful that we have a handful of players who are producing more than what their salary says they should be producing. That includes Zajac and Parise as well as Clarkson, Bergfors and Greene. They are all subsidizing Rolston -- and Elias, too, since he hasn't played much and hasn't been productive when he has played.

But you'll find that situation on many hockey teams. There's usually at least one guy who's a salary cap drag. We have Zubrus, too, who seems more effective this year but his production is still low for what he's paid.

Just be thankful that we have a handful of players who are producing more than what their salary says they should be producing. That includes Zajac and Parise as well as Clarkson, Bergfors and Greene. They are all subsidizing Rolston -- and Elias, too, since he hasn't played much and hasn't been productive when he has played.

But you'll find that situation on many hockey teams. There's usually at least one guy who's a salary cap drag. We have Zubrus, too, who seems more effective this year but his production is still low for what he's paid.

I am thankful for that - but it only means we won't be able to retain all those guys when their payday comes, which will be pretty soon, bogged down by the Rolston signing. So, it's a nice thought to have now, but the result won't be nice in 2 years or so. We'll see what happens I guess.

I am thankful for that - but it only means we won't be able to retain all those guys when their payday comes, which will be pretty soon, bogged down by the Rolston signing. So, it's a nice thought to have now, but the result won't be nice in 2 years or so. We'll see what happens I guess.

Something's gotta give, you're right. It could mean Oduya gets shopped or Paul Martin goes somewhere else, or who knows what other scenario. But Zach Parise will get an Elias-type contract, and rightfully so.